Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 1st September 2012, 16:30   #1
MarkyG
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): '03 Posi Blue VTS (R.I.P) 11 Plate Peugeot 'thing'
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold
Post Pc Upgrading. Time to do it!

I am currently running a Q9650 on an XFX 790i SLi Motherboard, 4x Branded XFX DDR3 2000mhz (which unfortunately wont run at anythng higher than 1333mhz ) and a XFX GTX 280 XXX Gfx card.

Now looking to upgrade to i7. Maybe the i7 2700k Sandybridge. I am wanting faster RAM than the 1600 I see everyone raving about though and looking for some 2133 DDR3 RAM, dual channel, instead but can't seem to be able to decide on which motherboard. If i want the Quad Channel DDR3 I can't find a suitable mobo to run it!

Had a little look at the Asus Sabretooth Z77 and the Gigabyte G1 Sniper and Gigabyte UDx series of boards. Ideally it will be for gaming but also for DTP and Audio/Video and can't forget catching up on current news, a must/addiction of the Mrs!

Money isnt really a limit, but the motherboard i wont spend more than £200 on and the new graphics card can wait for now as long as the motherboard supports NVidia SLi or both as I will eventually be upgrading the Gfx card later on.

I haven't kept up to date on the tech of stuff as of late due to being otherwise occupied, jsut really looking for recommendations and anything you guys and girls can input, positively hahaha

Cheers!

Girl, There Is No GOD In The Bedroom, It's Just Me

Last edited by MarkyG; 1st September 2012 at 16:33.
MarkyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 21:37   #2
Yasuraka
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.6 VTS
Yasuraka is on a distinguished road

I got the Gigabyte Guerilla. Was about 140 quid or so but that was some time ago so probably out classed by something well tasty. Memory I just whacked in 2x4gig sticks of 1600 DDR3, board can hold up to 32 (I think) but to be honest I dont run anything that needs anything close to that. Card I have the ati HD7870. Built this about 8 months ago and my only regret is buying a shitey 3d monitor (Got Assassins Creed Brotherhood free /sigh). Wish I had just spent more and gotten decent dell
Yasuraka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2012, 21:40   #3
Yasuraka
Infrequent Poster

Pish.. Forgot to say, make sure you get an SSD if you are updating/upgrading. HDD just dont seem to cut it anymore and with Windows 8 on the horizon its likely to be scored with SSD in mind
Old 2nd September 2012, 07:40   #4
MarkyG
Established Member

MarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to beholdMarkyG is a splendid one to behold

I've gone for the DDR3 2133 ram and an asus sabretooth z77 mono with an unlocked i7 2700k CPU.

Read up quite a few articles about windows 8 and the comments are biased. I'm not liking the look of the layout. I know things need to come up to date but to me it just looks awful!

Ssd is a must u agree. Haven't gone for one yet but will do in a few months.

Now can't decide on a graphics card to go for, AMD or nVidia?

Old 3rd September 2012, 12:42   #5
hellonpluto
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Saxo VTR '98
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud ofhellonpluto has much to be proud of

Go for AMD video cards as they are alot cheaper then nvidia for comparable cards.
hellonpluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2012, 18:35   #6
Chris_
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 1.1 Saxo Desire
Chris_ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonpluto View Post
Go for AMD video cards as they are alot cheaper then nvidia for comparable cards.
There is a reason for that you know.

The best upgrade you can do in terms of noticeable performance is get an SSD. Load your operating system and important programs on it, you'll never go back to a hard drive.
Chris_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2012, 09:42   #7
MarkyG
Established Member

Looking into that also. Swayed toward the Corsair Force Series 3 drives if I'm honest,m had a lot of recommendations and seen them in action against others.

As for the Graphics card, I've been researching the Gigabyte 660ti Windforce 2x Edition running core clock at a base of 1032mhz

Old 5th September 2012, 19:07   #8
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

i7's still fairly pointless as nothing utilises hyperthreading and the price premium they hold over an i5 is fucking ridiculous. I guess if you got money to burn it doesn't matter.

Don't touch OCZ SSD's, ever.

Corsair or Crucial are good picks, had my Crucial M4 for best part of a year now without any problems. That includes a firmware update to increase the speeds too.

Get an nVidia card and make sure you water cool the CPU if you're overclocking!
Old 5th September 2012, 19:44   #9
Yasuraka
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
i7's still fairly pointless as nothing utilises hyperthreading and the price premium they hold over an i5 is fucking ridiculous. I guess if you got money to burn it doesn't matter.

Don't touch OCZ SSD's, ever.

Corsair or Crucial are good picks, had my Crucial M4 for best part of a year now without any problems. That includes a firmware update to increase the speeds too.

Get an nVidia card and make sure you water cool the CPU if you're overclocking!
OCZ have been better lately, firmware has sorted a lot out.
Old 5th September 2012, 19:56   #10
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasuraka View Post
OCZ have been better lately, firmware has sorted a lot out.
Fail to see how firmware updates can change their failure rate
Old 5th September 2012, 20:19   #11
Yasuraka
Infrequent Poster

lol fair point. I guess I just got lucky with mine. Ran like shit and boot time was slower than HDD, however the firmware update sorted a lot out and it was actually very good. Regret flogging it.