Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 16th July 2014, 13:48   #1
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): BMW 116d Regional Toner Sales Edition
D4MJT is on a distinguished road
Default Rear Hub Replacement

Right you sexy bitches, I need to replace a wheel bearing on my car. Until the other day I was going to take it apart, and take the hub and bearing to an indie to get sorted, and refit. Handily though, one of my wheel nuts has stripped the thread from the very same hub, so I'm just going to buy a new hub assembly and lash it on.

Am I correct in thinking that basically, I need to remove all the brake gubbins, then knock that centre cap out of the hub centre, and undo a nut, and it should come off?

Do I need some sort of wizard puller affair or should it just knock off? What about refitting the new one? Does the pin that the nut bolts to need held with a special tool or anything, or does it just stay where it is?

I'm trying to avoid taking it all apart, and finding out I need bits I haven't ordered.

Thank you muchly

Apart from you Brett, you fucking bender
D4MJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 14:07   #2
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
Right you sexy bitches, I need to replace a wheel bearing on my car. Until the other day I was going to take it apart, and take the hub and bearing to an indie to get sorted, and refit. Handily though, one of my wheel nuts has stripped the thread from the very same hub, so I'm just going to buy a new hub assembly and lash it on.

Am I correct in thinking that basically, I need to remove all the brake gubbins, then knock that centre cap out of the hub centre, and undo a nut, and it should come off?

Do I need some sort of wizard puller affair or should it just knock off? What about refitting the new one? Does the pin that the nut bolts to need held with a special tool or anything, or does it just stay where it is?

I'm trying to avoid taking it all apart, and finding out I need bits I haven't ordered.

Thank you muchly

Apart from you Brett, you fucking bender
You will need

(A) 1 match
(B) a litre of petrol in a container

You start by pouring the contents of the container over the roof bonnet and interior of the car (ensure you get a good covering).

Next you need to strike the match (Ensure you do this where there is ample ventilation but very little wind)

Throw into the inside of the car and run (or in your case waddle) to a safe distance.

If all else fails, try and fix something engine related yourself and the above effect will still be acheived.

Fuck you very much.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brettles1986 For This Useful Post:
Old 16th July 2014, 14:16   #3
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
You will need

(A) 1 match
(B) a litre of petrol in a container

You start by pouring the contents of the container over the roof bonnet and interior of the car (ensure you get a good covering).

Next you need to strike the match (Ensure you do this where there is ample ventilation but very little wind)

Throw into the inside of the car and run (or in your case waddle) to a safe distance.

If all else fails, try and fix something engine related yourself and the above effect will still be acheived.

Fuck you very much.
This is for a 106 Brett, not a Ford you bender
The Following User Says Thank You to D4MJT For This Useful Post:
Old 16th July 2014, 14:19   #4
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4MJT View Post
This is for a 106 Brett, not a Ford you bender
Oh yes, electrical fires are more probable then in your case.

My recommendation is to just leave it on the drive until it decides it wants to cease to exist.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 14:21   #5
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

I shall await your "FML my ST TDCi is alight on the drive" thread with the anticipation of a small child the night before christmas.

Stop thinking about the small child, pedo
Old 16th July 2014, 17:10   #6
bytor
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Audi A6 Avant Quattro.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
bytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to behold

You'll need a bearing puller to get the old hub and crap off.

Ideally you'll want a bar to go over the top of the pin to tap the new hub on nicely (some however have just pushed on nicely)

rear hub nut nm? Not sure, its pretty tight though, you WILL want to find this out or you'll have massive play and destroy the bearing in the hub, and you'll want to smack the end over like you would in any case for the front.

If you purchase full hub assembly, it should come with everything you need. I seem to remember a retaining clip, however i could be wrong.

Last edited by bytor; 16th July 2014 at 17:13.
bytor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 17:12   #7
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post

Ideally you'll want a bar to go over the top of the pin to tap the new hub on nicely (some however have just pushed on nicely)

rear hub nut nm? Not sure, its pretty tight though, you WILL want to find this out or you'll have massive play and destroy the bearing in the hub, and you'll want to smack the end over like you would in any case for the front.
This has gone from

"sweet, this'll be a doddle next weekend"

to

"fucksocks, even if I do it the wheel is going to fall off and I'm going to die"

far faster than I was hoping.
Old 16th July 2014, 17:27   #8
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post

If you purchase full hub assembly, it should come with everything you need. I seem to remember a retaining clip, however i could be wrong.
Rear hub nut=correct socket & breaker bar.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 21:40   #9
Gareth_R
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

32mm socket i believe
Old 17th July 2014, 11:48   #10
bytor
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTS, Audi A6 Avant Quattro.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
bytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to beholdbytor is a splendid one to behold

I didn't know the rear hub nut torque, so I simply used the listen and feel method (this being spinning the wheel with a screw driver to your ear held onto the hub so you can hear when the bearing is running smooth - knocking is to loose and then feeling for play, tiniest amount is perfect) However the bearings started to bed in and I then had to tighten slightly, if you know the torque setting then its an easy job.

Scott
Old 17th July 2014, 17:48   #11
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

disc or drum?
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 20:27   #12
D4MJT
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
disc or drum?
Disc dude
Old 17th July 2014, 21:59   #13
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

ahh righto, the bearings aren't available separately on those anyway.

the inner race usually sits tight on the stub pin and will need pulling/drifting or grinding through.

technique to grinding is to lay the disc flat across it but don't go all the way down to the stub pin, and give it a good smack with a cold chisel, they will crack if you get it thin enough and they just slide right off.

place the new bearing on the pin, it shouldn't go all the way easily, use a socket and tap it on, use the nut to pull it on fully and torque it up, not forgetting to stake the nut and fit the grease cap.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2018, 09:49   #14
Jon_Doe
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTS Mk1
Jon_Doe will become famous soon enough

i have a bare axle coming, so i needed to get brakes and hub off-
after undoing the large hub nut, the bearings are jammed on, these need to be removed to get to the 4 allen bolts.

I dont have a puller, so much hammering was needed.

If you need to do this, I used a fork (cant think of the name, undoes the wishbone) opposing a hammer.

After a long time and very little movement I aimed a butane torch at the outside of the hub, then straiht at the bearing. I tested the gt86 (wd 40 type stuff) to see if it would catch light first and also had a bucket of water ready so that I could at least panik and spread the oil based fire around.

Anyway, once heated this moved much better. I was reading this thread before doing this job- so when you get stuck here.. the answer is blow torch anger.
Old 14th March 2018, 18:09   #15
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Doe View Post
i have a bare axle coming, so i needed to get brakes and hub off-
after undoing the large hub nut, the bearings are jammed on, these need to be removed to get to the 4 allen bolts.

I dont have a puller, so much hammering was needed.

If you need to do this, I used a fork (cant think of the name, undoes the wishbone) opposing a hammer.

After a long time and very little movement I aimed a butane torch at the outside of the hub, then straiht at the bearing. I tested the gt86 (wd 40 type stuff) to see if it would catch light first and also had a bucket of water ready so that I could at least panik and spread the oil based fire around.

Anyway, once heated this moved much better. I was reading this thread before doing this job- so when you get stuck here.. the answer is blow torch anger.
There's an easier way.

You'll notice the end of the stub pin is dimpled. using a drift if you hammer that with a heavy hammed and knock it out, the casting will simply push off the old bearing nice and evenly. Then you can simply hammer the stub pin back in from the other side once it's off.

P.S Matt smells
Old 15th March 2018, 13:07   #16
Jon_Doe
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo VTS Mk1
Jon_Doe will become famous soon enough

Great- I hadnt in fact taken off the rear part of the old bearing, so this was what I did this morning. Using a sledge hammer, hitting from standing behind the car to get the flattest angle on the pin, I carefully hit is as hard as I could.

This worked, leaving easy acess to the 4 allan head bolts which are fixed in with thread locker.

I a leaving the brakes on the car, so hopefully will soon get round to removing the beam soon. New one arrived yesterday- I went to look at IM axles again and they had gone up to 300 from 250 a few days ago!
Old 15th March 2018, 18:20   #17
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

IM axle quality tends to be hit or miss. I've had 2 and both of them have been absolutely fine, and the 3rd one didn't last very long. Maybe it was a friday when they refurbed that one!

www.oms.scot do refurb ones for £280 delivered next day and 3 years warranty. If you want to save £20 and have an extra years warranty.