Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 1st February 2019, 17:24   #1
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

RichSaxoVTR is on a distinguished road
Default Fob for a saxo?

When I purchshed my 2001 Saxo VTR last year, it came with a fob but it was broke. I'm planning on getting it fixed on the basis if anyone can shed some light on this.

Does a 2001 Saxo VTR fob open all doors with the click of the button like other cars or is it just to mobilise the engine---sort of like what my Mini Cooper MPi does?
RichSaxoVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 17:39   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichSaxoVTR View Post
When I purchshed my 2001 Saxo VTR last year, it came with a fob but it was broke. I'm planning on getting it fixed on the basis if anyone can shed some light on this.

Does a 2001 Saxo VTR fob open all doors with the click of the button like other cars or is it just to mobilise the engine---sort of like what my Mini Cooper MPi does?
The immobiliser is a totally separate system. the chip in the key is sensed by the coil of wire by the ignition barrel.

The keyfob is ONLY for the central locking and alarm and it only functions as single press to unlock/lock all doors. The alarm still sets if you lock the drivers door with the key though.

What's broken about the fob? getting a replacement programmed will need dealer input or massive expense. Plus it's not a very reliable system anyway, the range is shit.
Old 1st February 2019, 17:44   #3
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
The immobiliser is a totally separate system. the chip in the key is sensed by the coil of wire by the ignition barrel.

The keyfob is ONLY for the central locking and alarm and it only functions as single press to unlock/lock all doors. The alarm still sets if you lock the drivers door with the key though.

What's broken about the fob? getting a replacement programmed will need dealer input or massive expense. Plus it's not a very reliable system anyway, the range is shit.
Okay so a fob for a Saxo will open all doors (close range) with a button press to lock and unlock it without putting key into the door physically to do so?

This is what's broke on mine, lol! See picture below. As you can see it's quite bad/unless fixable? lol

Old 1st February 2019, 18:57   #4
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

I fixed mine with a playstation controller button.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2019, 20:51   #5
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

You want to look at something like this.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302236928652
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post:
Old 1st February 2019, 21:13   #6
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
You want to look at something like this.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F302236928652
Would that make my car unlock/lock by press of the button?
Old 1st February 2019, 21:32   #7
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

The link I sent was an empty shell which you put your current fob electronics into. If the problem you have is the broken buttons only, that's what you want. If it doesn't work anyway, that won't fix your fob.
Old 1st February 2019, 23:40   #8
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Yes it's literally a keyless entry!

You can buy new rubber buttons on ebay for a few quid, or improvise.

I gave up on mine, the key just eats batteries anyway lol
Old 2nd February 2019, 09:45   #9
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

I think it would help if you can tell us the current state of the fob. You said that it doesn't work, have you replaced the battery and tried it? I know the outer case looks in a bad way but the buttons underneath the rubber keys may or may not still function - can you confirm?

If the thing actually does work but is difficult to use due to the state of the case, then a new case like the one in the link would be a quick easy fix. You would just transfer over the circuit board inside and also the metal battery terminals (the repair cases don't usually include new battery terminals).

If the buttons are broken on the circuit board (it could be just one of them is with the other OK, that was what mine was like) then the case in the link could still be your solution, however you would need to be able to desolder the broken button and solder on the new one.

If you haven't already tried it, then get a new battery in there and have a go at locking / unlocking the doors. Try both buttons (you can still press them with your nail through the worn out rubber). You could also just open up the case first and inspect to see the state of the buttons, but if there are physically still attached to the board then testing is the next step.
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dturbo For This Useful Post:
Old 7th February 2019, 17:44   #10
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Thank you all for the replies. The old fob I had had the bridge piece missing on the chipboard for the lock button. Thanks to "aldred309uk", I ordered a new fob shell, which came with a new battery and two new bridges from eBay for £3.99.

Today I took the chipboard out the old fob and soldered the new bridge where the previous one was missing. I then put the chipboard into the new shell, with the new battery and it all works fine.

However, one last question on the matter if anyone can help? Are they suppose to flash all lights when you unlock and lock via the fob? Mine doesn't flash lights when you unlock/lock.
Old 8th February 2019, 17:26   #11
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

My 1.1 desire never flashed lights, just enthusiastically locked or unlocked when the relevant button was pressed. Glad you got a cheap, successful ending!
Old 8th February 2019, 20:07   #12
RichSaxoVTR
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldred309uk View Post
My 1.1 desire never flashed lights, just enthusiastically locked or unlocked when the relevant button was pressed. Glad you got a cheap, successful ending!
Maybe the Saxos don't flash at all via fob. Thanks for your help--a successful ending!
Old 8th February 2019, 21:01   #13
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

You're welcome. I'm just a two key no fob peasant Haha! I'm jealous of the fob!