Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 25th March 2019, 14:07   #1
saxo02
Regular Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr
saxo02 is on a distinguished road
Default Steering problem.

Hi guys iv got a problem with the steering on my saxo vtr phase 2.

I had an mot last week and it passed with flying colours apart from an advisory on passenger front tyre depth

I have been experiencing problems with the steering for a long while now. When stationary the wheels are straight yet the steering wheel goes off to the right. I can also be driving and if I ever so slightly turn the steering wheel left or right say 1-2 inches doesn't go in that direction straight away.

I sometimes have a creaking noise when steering full lock. Ie doing a 3 point turn for instance.

The steering wheel shakes quite violently at 70mph. It's weird I always feel like it is something on the left side. The car never drives straight. I'm always altering the steering wheel.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be. Thanks in advance.
saxo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2019, 18:12   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

an MOT isn't a guarantee your car is safe, it should be but it isn't. The tester may have missed something.

The creaking at full lock is most likely to be the strut top bearings - this probably isn't what's causing your steering problems.

The violent shaking and the steering wheel off centre would suggest a worn track rod, could be inner or outer. this would also give you the vagueness in your steering.

Assuming your wheels are balanced too? Does the symptoms change if you swap the front and rear wheels?
Old 28th March 2019, 11:20   #3
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

The creaking on full lock could also be a worn driveshaft cv joint.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevo67 For This Useful Post:
Old 28th March 2019, 16:40   #4
saxo02
Regular Poster

Car(s): saxo vtr
saxo02 is on a distinguished road

Excellent info guys. Will be jacking the car up this weekend. Is there something to be looking out for trackend Rod wise. Will it have play?

I definitely think something is going on passenger side f ront. As I bought all 4 tires at the same time. However front left has worm down dramatically. Mainly on the outer side. Thanks in advance.
saxo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2019, 18:53   #5
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo02 View Post
Excellent info guys. Will be jacking the car up this weekend. Is there something to be looking out for trackend Rod wise. Will it have play?

I definitely think something is going on passenger side f ront. As I bought all 4 tires at the same time. However front left has worm down dramatically. Mainly on the outer side. Thanks in advance.
If you drive quickly around roundabouts and there's a lot near you the outer edge of the passenger tyre will wear out quicker than others.
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2019, 18:54   #6
aldred309uk
Frequent Poster

Car(s): 2002 Citroen Saxo desire 2001 Volvo V40 1.9D
aldred309uk is on a distinguished road

This may be of use to you also. He has lots of useful videos.

https://youtu.be/FOk0tkGEWmA
aldred309uk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aldred309uk For This Useful Post: