Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

View Poll Results: What should happen to Saxperience in the future?
Keep the server as it is and ensure the community shares the monhly costs. High performance option. 7 4.35%
Downsize the server & community - move to forum-only platform at lower cost and reduced performance. 140 86.96%
Close Saxperience - everyone has moved on... 9 5.59%
Other (share your thoughts in the comments) 5 3.11%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21st March 2016, 14:45   #141
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Maybe you need a facebook group for Saxperience where chat is encouraged so it can pull in members to the website or serve as another outlet....
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 22:35   #142
essexdon
Established Member
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): MY96 Impreza WRX 287bhp/299lbft ;)
essexdon is on a distinguished road

I have been on here since 2008.

A long time, the South East group use to be a hive of activity, now its dead.

Much like most Saxo, once use to be a common sight on our roads, now few and far between.

Saxp was great but its had its day, no one would have issues if you shut the old girl down Simo.
essexdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2016, 22:59   #143
Phaeton
Regular Poster

Car(s): 1989 MK1 MR2 with V6 3.0L Camry engine
Phaeton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexdon View Post
Saxp was great but its had its day, no one would have issues if you shut the old girl down Simo.
Speak for yourself as a new Saxo owner this forum is invaluable to me.

Sent from my SM-T330 using Tapatalk
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 00:50   #144
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Maybe you need a facebook group for Saxperience where chat is encouraged so it can pull in members to the website or serve as another outlet....

In my experience nothing kills a forum faster than having a facebook page. Sure you'll get a lot of users to the page but the forum will die off. There is no way of archiving threads and the search function on FB is hopeless. You end up with the same questions being asked on an almost daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by essexdon View Post
I have been on here since 2008.

A long time, the South East group use to be a hive of activity, now its dead.

Much like most Saxo, once use to be a common sight on our roads, now few and far between.

You might not have issues if it got shut down but plenty would have!

Almost any saxo problem you have that you bang into google sax-p is always the first 10 or so links that come up.
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 02:04   #145
BSA
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR
BSA is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
In my experience nothing kills a forum faster than having a facebook page. Sure you'll get a lot of users to the page but the forum will die off. There is no way of archiving threads and the search function on FB is hopeless. You end up with the same questions being asked on an almost daily basis.

You might not have issues if it got shut down but plenty would have!

Almost any saxo problem you have that you bang into google sax-p is always the first 10 or so links that come up.
Hit the nail on the head with both of these points. Same argument I've always had regarding archiving useful information and such. Once you lose track of it on Facebook it's long gone, that's why you see the same questions day in day out, and you can't even tell them to learn to use the search function... As the Facebook group search function is SHIT.
BSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 10:07   #146
Beccy1982

Car(s): 51 region 1.1 desire.
Beccy1982 is on a distinguished road

I'm New to the forum and I've found it invaluable - I'd pay a monthly fee just for the forums.
Beccy1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2016, 10:21   #147
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beccy1982 View Post
I'm New to the forum and I've found it invaluable - I'd pay a monthly fee just for the forums.
Here you go

http://www.saxperience.com/shop/premium.php

You'll get a warm fuzzy feeling for knowing you helped support the site
Old 9th December 2016, 18:36   #148
Simop
Administrator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Blue Saxo VTS Turbo/White Megane F1 R26
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!Simo is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
All, we are a few months behind schedule but I wanted to let you all know that this morning Saxperience has moved to a new server.

The solution now in place has been able to reduce costs and maintain all previous content.

Now that I'm back in the UK I will start to update the site a little, initially removing the redundant sections that you all said were not of much interest to you.

There's no rush to do this however.

If you encounter any problems running sax-p on this new server please record the issues in the bugs forum.

Thanks

Simo

Wow, almost a year has passed since we've been up and running on the new server and things have been mainly trouble-free! (remember that currently ALL content remains the same, but we are no longer on a server dedicated to sax-p)

I've been pretty busy and have ended up working back in Indonesia for a few months this year, which wasn't planned. So, I'm still well behind with any plans to down-scale, de-clutter and upgrade sax-p to more modern platforms.

I need to have a think about what will happen over the festive period.

Given that the remaining Saxperience affiliates have chosen not to contribute to Saxperience this year (thanks for your support in previous years!!) and we are getting an average of only 2 Premium Member subscriptions each month, even the current reduced server costs are far from being covered.

This is not a new story, but after paying for this place out of my own pocket for far too many years, things really do need to change.

I will look into migrating to newer forum software, re-coding all parts of the site that are 'needed' and strip out the sections that are not needed. Then see if we can move to a cheaper server again.

Later if members are not willing to contribute to the up-keep of this place, well... I've done my bit, ten-fold.

Ideas welcome on a Christmas card

Simo

Simo's Turbo Re-build Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme
The Focus is ace! Smooth ride and cheap as chips!
Simo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2016, 22:50   #149
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

The forum really needs to cover more than saxo's you can literally buy a saxo now for £200 in really good condition, younger potential members have way better cars than half of the older members could ever afford thanks to the lease or pay as you drive schemes and the free insurance that started most people on the saxo.

The most popular car in terms of 17-21 year olds at the min is the 208 pug and a few different cars from the vag group only having to pay £250 a month with servicing and more often than not insurance included.

A forum aimed at a dieing car is never going to pay for itself, times need to move on as do the cars we drive.
Old 10th December 2016, 12:26   #150
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

Could we not expand it to include C1's and the rest of those cars? Make it a general French Car Club?
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 12:59   #151
Brutus-1965

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 1.5d (2003) - current Citroen Saxo 1
Brutus-1965 is on a distinguished road

I appreciate members dont always want to pay and free forums always work best. Could it be an option to be hosted by https://www.prophpbb.com/
Brutus-1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 13:45   #152
BackSheep
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR 1.6 8v
BackSheep is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford126 View Post
A forum aimed at a dieing car is never going to pay for itself, times need to move on as do the cars we drive.
Having just got myself a Saxo 6 months ago that I've fallen in love with, it's hard to agree with this statement - but it's true.

I have no idea what kind of traffic this site/forum gets but if it's within my servers capabilities I'm happy to host it (I have my own server). Drop me a private message with details if you want so I can see what kind of thing we're looking at in terms of resources.

On another note, I'm a full-time web developer so if you need a hand with anything give me a shout.

Now going to take a look at the premium section.
BackSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2016, 16:00   #153
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

How much are hosting costs setting you back? What's the shortfall?
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote