Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 8th July 2020, 09:02   #1
ESD1711
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): 2006 Audi A4 Avant 1999 Saxo VTS
ESD1711 is on a distinguished road
Default J4 vs JP4 and spark plug conundrum

One for all the 16v gurus out there. J4 vs JP4 and correct spark plugs....

So basically I bought my Saxo with what I was told was a C2 jp4 engine. I’ve no reason to doubt that was the case. However, when recently pulling the plugs on it, it seems to have the shorter plugs from a Saxo engine in it.

So either it isn’t a C2 engine and it’s a Saxo one running the correct plugs, or.... it is a C2 engine and it’s running the wrong plugs? Unless there’s a reason for a jp4 to be running the shorter Saxo plug?

Anyways - this poses three questions for me:

1 - what’s the easiest way to tell a j4 from a jp4 without taking it to bits? Assumes there’s a code or markings somewhere which will tell me? Where should I be looking?

2 - assuming it IS a C2 / jp4 engine - what sort of effect will the shorter plugs be having on it? Should it run at all? Should it run badly? Should it pretty much run the same? In my head, the spark being higher up should surely have an effect on how it runs?

3 - assuming it ISNT a C2 engine and it’s the j4 with the correct plugs - what damage do I risk doing by trying it with a set of longer plugs? Ie is there room in there for a C2 plug to fit without it hitting anything?

Cheers
ESD1711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2020, 16:31   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESD1711 View Post
One for all the 16v gurus out there. J4 vs JP4 and correct spark plugs....

So basically I bought my Saxo with what I was told was a C2 jp4 engine. I’ve no reason to doubt that was the case. However, when recently pulling the plugs on it, it seems to have the shorter plugs from a Saxo engine in it.

So either it isn’t a C2 engine and it’s a Saxo one running the correct plugs, or.... it is a C2 engine and it’s running the wrong plugs? Unless there’s a reason for a jp4 to be running the shorter Saxo plug?

Anyways - this poses three questions for me:

1 - what’s the easiest way to tell a j4 from a jp4 without taking it to bits? Assumes there’s a code or markings somewhere which will tell me? Where should I be looking?

2 - assuming it IS a C2 / jp4 engine - what sort of effect will the shorter plugs be having on it? Should it run at all? Should it run badly? Should it pretty much run the same? In my head, the spark being higher up should surely have an effect on how it runs?

3 - assuming it ISNT a C2 engine and it’s the j4 with the correct plugs - what damage do I risk doing by trying it with a set of longer plugs? Ie is there room in there for a C2 plug to fit without it hitting anything?

Cheers
Wouldn't say it's particularly unsafe if it's the correct heat rating, although technically it will alter the ignition timing.

If it's had a JP4 swap, there's a chance they've been down the motor factors and given the reg and got J4 plugs by accident and "they fit" herp derp.

You can identify the differences in this thread, plenty of pictures

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=323539
Old 9th July 2020, 21:44   #3
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

if its a J4 you wont want the long plugs, the seat is the wrong shape being conical instead of a gasket, let alone possibly punching a hole in the piston.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2020, 22:41   #4
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

Short plugs in the JP4 will cause very poor flame propagation because of the recessed spark and the exposed threads in the hole will soot up making it difficult to fir the right plugs later, but at least the threads could be cleaned out.

Long plugs in a J4, besides the possible damage, the plug's exposed threads will foul with soot and you'd be at great risk of damaging the head winding the sooty plugs out of the head.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote