Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 23rd May 2011, 19:51   #1
K17NEY
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): FQ Volvo V70R Peugeot Partner
K17NEY is on a distinguished road
Default Laptop running slow

As the title sais, My laptop is running slow as fuck. Ive checked my internet, 4.7mb, Ive defragged and run a crap cleaner. Ive also deleted about 20 movies i had on here and its still running slow.....

ie. I cant even watch a youtube video as it wont buffer. Someone help me please, Before i throw it through the window.
K17NEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:39   #2
Tc24
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxos (sold), Civic
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Tc24 is on a distinguished road

Ok, depends how far you really want to go with this, but there are a few things you can do:

Firstly, unless it's what you've already used, go find yourself a copy of CCleaner. Cleans a load of unnecessary crap from your system, and should make a bit of difference at least.

Next, assess the software you have installed by going to control panel, then add or remove programs. Uninstall anything you don't need, and make sure there aren't more than one of the same type of software (e.g., are you running more than one antivirus program?) If you say your internet is running slow, remove ALL toolbars. Seriously, they really make a difference to your browsers speed.

And if you're not already, consider using Google Chrome / Mozilla Firefox as your browser. Waaaaay faster than IE, and less likely to let something in that'll rape your computer.

Another small modification to make would be to adjust the visual options. Do this by going to your desktop, right clicking anywhere, then selecting "personalise". Go through everything in there and untick anything that you don't really need (like transparent windows etc...)

Finally, go start>run then type in "msconfig". Hit enter, then go to the Startup tab. Uncheck anything that you don't need to start when you turn your computer on (most programs that aren't Microsoft, or your antivirus)

When you've finished on this tab, move to "Services" and likewise, remove anything you don't need. Things like programs that you don't need all the time and updaters for stuff you don't need updating constantly (again, most things except Microsoft software and antivirus.)

And of course, if it still runs slow as hell after all this, format. That's about all I can think of for now, but will add to it later if anything else springs to mind!

Good luck
Tc24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:47   #3
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

what's the best registry cleaner that's free chaps?
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 21:21   #4
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

CC cleaner
Old 30th May 2011, 21:35   #5
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

I use a Macbook Pro, it never runs slow
Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:43   #6
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Cool story bro?

Worst I am a hipster post ever.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 21:52   #7
Ashl3y
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo VTR, Corsa SXI
Ashl3y is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
i use a dell alienware gaming laptop, its a macbook eater

but yeah maybe you could system restore it to factory settings and save what you need externally
Old 30th May 2011, 22:03   #8
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashl3y View Post
i use a dell alienware gaming laptop, its a macbook eater

but yeah maybe you could system restore it to factory settings and save what you need externally
*Awaits a "but apple is better because..." comment.*

Last edited by haz_pro; 30th May 2011 at 22:09.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote