Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 11th May 2013, 13:16   #41
L33h
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): Clio 182, Fireblade GSX-R 750
L33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud ofL33h has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
in your opinion? lol

it's 60k on early models and more than that after 2006 models iirc. as they rotor tip material was changed to something a bit harder.
I ment to put iirc.. I was a bit pissed lmao
L33h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 13:17   #42
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVC View Post
Why are you talking about Paris? I don't live there and doubt you do - you indicated that the UK has space, your details say that you live "Somewhere nicer than you" therefore I assume that you don't live central London and that you do live in a nice area. Therefore go do the test and see what figures you come back with and I can guarantee that I have less cars and therefore more space where I am than where you are. Confirming my initial statement that the UK has no space.
doesn't France have a similar population to the UK?

less people per square km in France
Old 11th May 2013, 13:19   #43
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L33h View Post
I ment to put iirc.. I was a bit pissed lmao

Loooool I guessed
Old 11th May 2013, 13:21   #44
LVC
Frequent Poster

Car(s): VTS, Hawkeye WRX, Def90 & Freelander HSE (ex-VTR)
LVC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabbastard View Post
I can do quite a lot... but qualified to do nothing unfortunately lol.
You should get on fine over here then, lol It's all down to attitiude - if you're polite, clean looking and can impress the interviewer enough then qualifications aren't always necessary. Failing that go self-emplyed

Quote:
Just a compression test should do

Not sure what kPa value to look for though. They are not overly high compression engines by design. (which is why there are no diesel rotary engines)

Excellent - food for thought

Kiss French, Speak English, Ride Italian & Play Japanese
LVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 13:23   #45
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:

Exactly and it's 4 times as big

Old 11th May 2013, 15:41   #46
headless
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo Vtr, Toyota MR2 Turbo 1992
headless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's a simple fact that France is 4 times larger than the UK with the same population therefore per square km of space we have 1/4 of the amount of people
Quote:

Old 11th May 2013, 16:05   #47
LSOfreak
Saxperience Addict

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
LSOfreak has a spectacular aura aboutLSOfreak has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Got fed up with the UK...no sun, no respect, no space, shit roads, no future, - moved here 12 years ago after selling a pokey 3 bed house and now live mortgage free on a 8 hectare renovated farm with lake, woods, fields, etc. etc. plenty of sunshine, nice people. My eldest is 9 this year and he and his mum with her new partner live 15 minutes away and I've a new lad of 7 months. The kids over here are kids and enjoy their childhoods - I live country and there's no druggies, no child abusers and very little crime. If someone steps out of line then the locals sort it and the police stay away - much like the UK used to be when I was growing up (1970s). Job wise .... I'm an estate agent and have moved in to more luxury homes which seems to be picking up nicely.

France is not perfect but so much better than the UK in so many ways. No chance in hell that I'd go back to the UK to live.
fair statement...
I live in a complete shithole of a town, but for some reason i still miss it when im away for long periods of time
Originally Posted by timmythechef View Post
Best mk1 on this site IMO.
LSOfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 16:57   #48
Karlb1
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon Cupra tdi
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Karlb1 is on a distinguished road

If a compression test is done it has to be a 'hot' compression test. They don't quite drink the oil as the rotary is designed to use oil to stop the tips wearing as quickly as we'll as its natural running habits.
Serviceable parts are expensive
Boot/spoiler lip rusts.
Rear screen seals are shit and lead to rust
Rear light seals are shit so mist up
Mpg is around 9mpg in town and you're lucky to see over 20 on motorways

Looked into getting one before I got my current car. Tax is a lot more expensive on the ones made after 2004 but even the ones before that are fucking expensive. As you said though that isn't an issue for you.

Very nice interiors and loads of goodies on all the models but lots of common problems, if you do go to look at one I recommend looking on sale sections in forums first as those are the people that will have taken the most care since they know the habits of the engines (keeping oil topped every on every few fuel fills, service intervals etc) since there are quite a few things with these cars that need to be done regularly.
One last thing is the 'hot start' issue. Iirc it's safer to let the engine warm up fully (which you should be doing anyway) but then some models have had trouble starting whilst still warm and won't start properly until cooled down.
Rx8 owners forum is the best place to look. They're definitely a lot of car for the money but as you can see, they do have a lot of common faults.
I've seen a couple with engines that won't even spark, just keep cranking no matter what and never sound like they'll give any hope of starting.

Essay over
Karlb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 17:16   #49
potatopete
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Audi A4
potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!potatopete is a great team player!

On a forecourt today, I saw 2 Peugeot 206s - same year, same colour.
One was a Gti priced at £900, the other a 1.4, priced at £1400.
I guess the difference in price is the Gti is more costly to tax and less efficient on fuel than the 1.4.

I only mention this as I would think it applies to cars like the RX-8. People are starting to buy smaller engined cars these days, so the bigger, thirstier cars are less in demand.
potatopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 17:19   #50
Karlb1
Established Member
Central Counties Region MemberCentral South Region Member

Car(s): Seat Leon Cupra tdi
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Karlb1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatopete View Post
I guess the difference in price is the Gti is more costly to tax and less efficient on fuel than the 1.4.

I only mention this as I would think it applies to cars like the RX-8. People are starting to buy smaller engined cars these days, so the bigger, thirstier cars are less in demand.
Rx8 is only a 1.3
Karlb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 17:23   #51
McGuire86
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

Car(s): '08 Civic Type R GT FN2
McGuire86 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb1 View Post
Rx8 is only a 1.3
The one in question is the 2.6 Less HP but better MPG so more practical.

Looks nice and for that money you could do alot worse, but then again there are better options out there.
Old 11th May 2013, 17:26   #52
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSOfreak View Post
fair statement...
I live in a complete shithole of a town, but for some reason i still miss it when im away for long periods of time
That's normal, home is home is home .... my folks moved lots of times when I was a kid so never really settled anywhere, then I travelled a lot working abroad. Been here 12 years and it's the longest I've ever been in one house and really miss it when I'm away. Big step leaving all you know behind but the attraction to what the life over here had to offer was too strong and I there's nothing I regret about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlb1 View Post
If a compression test is done it has to be a 'hot' compression test. They don't quite drink the oil as the rotary is designed to use oil to stop the tips wearing as quickly as we'll as its natural running habits.
Serviceable parts are expensive
Boot/spoiler lip rusts.
Rear screen seals are shit and lead to rust
Rear light seals are shit so mist up
Mpg is around 9mpg in town and you're lucky to see over 20 on motorways

Looked into getting one before I got my current car. Tax is a lot more expensive on the ones made after 2004 but even the ones before that are fucking expensive. As you said though that isn't an issue for you.

Very nice interiors and loads of goodies on all the models but lots of common problems, if you do go to look at one I recommend looking on sale sections in forums first as those are the people that will have taken the most care since they know the habits of the engines (keeping oil topped every on every few fuel fills, service intervals etc) since there are quite a few things with these cars that need to be done regularly.
One last thing is the 'hot start' issue. Iirc it's safer to let the engine warm up fully (which you should be doing anyway) but then some models have had trouble starting whilst still warm and won't start properly until cooled down.
Rx8 owners forum is the best place to look. They're definitely a lot of car for the money but as you can see, they do have a lot of common faults.
I've seen a couple with engines that won't even spark, just keep cranking no matter what and never sound like they'll give any hope of starting.

Essay over
Cheers Karlb1 - I've found a good buyers guide on http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk which gives loads of info (agreeing with your good advice and more). It's just an idea at the moment but does still seem a lot of car for your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatopete View Post

Yes spot on, the old "gas guzzlers" are much less sort after than they were, the tax and running costs are slowly killing them off. Great fun as a weekend car though and with no tax and insurance as peanuts it leaves plenty of scope for oversea collectors. Quite fancy a big fat jag as well, lol

Old 11th May 2013, 18:45   #53
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Why are you talking about Paris? I don't live there and doubt you do - you indicated that the UK has space, your details say that you live "Somewhere nicer than you" therefore I assume that you don't live central London and that you do live in a nice area. Therefore go do the test and see what figures you come back with and I can guarantee that I have less cars and therefore more space where I am than where you are. Confirming my initial statement that the UK has no space.
I know you don't live in Paris, that is my point. It seems like you are comparing rural France with a UK city.

I can go out for about an hour and hardly see a car. I'll just go and drive over the moors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:05   #54
9mm
Infrequent Poster

9mm is on a distinguished road

they come much cheaper than that lol, they are shit unrelible cars.
9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 19:08   #55
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper View Post
I know you don't live in Paris, that is my point. It seems like you are comparing rural France with a UK city.

I can go out for about an hour and hardly see a car. I'll just go and drive over the moors.
So you live on the moors then?

You seem to be completely missing the point. I too can find deserted places in France but I'm comparing where I live to where you live (Yorkshire I believe - great place my sis went to Leeds Uni) and where I used to live (Surrey borders near Hampshire - not exactly central London). By all means drive over the moors but start counting the moment you leave your house and I still hold that you'll see more cars than me, you'll probably see more cars than me before you get to the end of your road.

Le Mans is a long way off rural France or have you never seen the amount of people that come for the 24hr race (over 250,000 people) and others or the millions of tourists that make the Loire Valley France's 2nd most popular destination (Paris is no.1).

Fact: France has roughly the same population as the UK.
Fact: France is roughly 4 times larger than the UK
Maths: France has roughly 25% of the density of population that the UK has.

Therefore there is more space available in France than in the UK

Last edited by LVC; 11th May 2013 at 20:03.
Old 11th May 2013, 19:12   #56
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
they come much cheaper than that lol, they are shit unrelible cars.
Yes I've seen nice looking ones go for around £2k.

Unreliable you say .... I've got 2 Saxo's

Old 11th May 2013, 19:57   #57
Mrk1
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 VTS
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Mrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant futureMrk1 has a brilliant future

My mate had a 2004 model they are riddled with starting issues, the maintenance is pretty expensive, full rebuilds can be costly and unfortunately these rotarys do need them. They lack torque and are therefore not as quick as people think.

However they do sound lurvly and look pretty smooth but I fail to see the appeal myself, obviously if you are considering one rx8oc & rotarycarclub are a good place to start.

One we saw at Castle Coombe today on bentley rims

Mrk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:19   #58
LSOfreak
Saxperience Addict

LSOfreak has a spectacular aura aboutLSOfreak has a spectacular aura about

that would look good if the colourscheme werent so horrendous

blue wheels on a brown car, what is he thinking??
Originally Posted by timmythechef View Post
Best mk1 on this site IMO.
LSOfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:27   #59
rey
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): :(s)rac
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!rey is as cool as a cucumber!

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGuire86 View Post
The one in question is the 2.6 Less HP but better MPG so more practical.

Looks nice and for that money you could do alot worse, but then again there are better options out there.
All standard rx's are 1.3's.

rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2013, 20:33   #60
LVC
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rey View Post
All standard rx's are 1.3's.

That's what I thought but all the listings on PistonHeads Classifieds have them as 2.6l