Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 6th June 2019, 11:16   #1
Asura

Asura is on a distinguished road
Default Another High Idle revving thread

Hello guys, as the title says, may car idles high, and hard, like 4000+ rpms.
I also do know there are a lot of previous threads been going on about it and I have been through them, along with numerous searches on google, to no avail. Almost 90% of all the threads start with the problem, but never end in a solution, they just die, noone concluding in the actual fix.

But OK, here is my case:

I have replaced my '97 1.1 with a 1.6 NFZ engine at a point where the 1.1 had no more hope. I discovered that the 1.6 had also a blown head gasket, which is now replaced.

The engine runs quite OK without ICV connected! which excludes leaks. When I connect the ICV it shoots up to 4000rpm after seconds .
The actual problem is that the ICV opens up to much when running, it is not stuck. I can actually see this happening with another loose ICV...

What I have done/replaced, but problem remained:
- another throttle body, along with TPS
- another coolant TEMP sensor
- another ICV
- taken of whole intake and put it back for inspections of warped stuff or whatever
- another crankshaft sensor
- another ECU

O2 sensor should be OK, not really old.
MAP sensor should be OK, according to place I got it from, also without MAP sensor connected is stops running immediately.
Electrical circuits checked on breaks and resistance, nothing came up.

Does anyone have another idea or has had exactly the same problem that can cause the ECU to open up the ICV like this?

Thanks alot in advance!, Rick
Asura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:08   #2
Asura

Noone?

Old 8th June 2019, 08:40   #3
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

If it's cheap Ebay style ICV, then I can pretty much gaurantee it's that.

The ECU will be seeing 4000rpm and should be requesting the ICV to close.

Unless the TPS is faulty, if it thinks the throttle body isn't fully closed the ICV is "disabled".

Leave everything plugged in, except the TPS and start it up.

You really need a good computer (Snap on or a copy of diagbox) to monitor what the sensors are doing in real time. Chasing faults like this will be a nightmare.
Old 8th June 2019, 14:22   #4
SpijkerVTS

SpijkerVTS is on a distinguished road

Ive just learnt that when you fit the icv you should cycle the ignition 3 times to get it to set itself, you can also wind them in and out <br><br>Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk<br><br>
SpijkerVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2019, 16:33   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpijkerVTS View Post
Ive just learnt that when you fit the icv you should cycle the ignition 3 times to get it to set itself, you can also wind them in and out <br><br>Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk<br><br>
You don't need to cycle the ignition, that's a myth.

Fit it, start the car and immediately drive it.
Old 8th June 2019, 18:20   #6
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

I've had similar issues when the TPS died. I agree with Martin, it's practically impossible to figure out what is happening without diagnostics. You can get Lexia on ebay for about 35 quid. If you have an old XP laptop you're set. It's really good. I have a 2000 VTS and get good info from it, my son's 2003 1.1 gets even more data, lots more detail.

I would strongly advise you go this route, it's less than the cost of a sensor. FYI you should be able to drive the car fine without the ICV plugged in, as long as you unplug it when the car is idling normally (best if done when the engine is warm). If it still misbehaves with the ICV unplugged it must be something else.
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2019, 10:11   #7
Asura

Thanks for your replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post

Unless the TPS is faulty, if it thinks the throttle body isn't fully closed the ICV is "disabled".

You really need a good computer (Snap on or a copy of diagbox) to monitor what the sensors are doing in real time. Chasing faults like this will be a nightmare.
Pity I dont have any fancy program at hand. Indeed I am thinking of doing some diagnosis on it somewhere who can. This is the pre OBD2 system however, is is possible to read all the sensors on the older versions?

About the ICV, it is also that what I am thinking; I don't think it is the ICV istelf. I have got 2 genuine bosch ICVs, which both seem to work fine and are clean. Is it only the TPS that can cause the ICV to open so extremely? Since I have two TPS's which make no change, this can also not be a coincidence. Then I probably have to search for electrical values that may get lost through bad wires (although I checked them numerous times...).

I'm guessing the MAP & O2 can not cause this, but TPS & Coolant sensors can...
Old 9th June 2019, 10:24   #8
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dturbo View Post
I've had similar issues when the TPS died. I agree with Martin, it's practically impossible to figure out what is happening without diagnostics. You can get Lexia on ebay for about 35 quid. If you have an old XP laptop you're set. It's really good. I have a 2000 VTS and get good info from it, my son's 2003 1.1 gets even more data, lots more detail.

I would strongly advise you go this route, it's less than the cost of a sensor. FYI you should be able to drive the car fine without the ICV plugged in, as long as you unplug it when the car is idling normally (best if done when the engine is warm). If it still misbehaves with the ICV unplugged it must be something else.
It is indeed possible to drive with the ICV in closed position. Unfortunately it has also too high CO values which doesnt get it through MOT...
Old 11th June 2019, 12:49   #9
Asura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post

Well I think I actually fixed it. Certainly along with your information. I was also suspecting the TPS, although I replaced it. But I did replug the connections for the engine swap.

I discovered that the plug I used was faulty, through measuring resistances directly from TPS and from TPS through the wires. Through the wires, the TPS resistances decreased! Pin connections were correct, but the plug was guiding electricity through the plastic . So I took it off and put the wires directly in the female connector, stared and the ICV reacted directly different, but the way it is supposed to.

I have been dealing with this problem for almost a month, replacing and watching wiring diagrams for errors. All was connected fine, but only for that crappy plug.

For the ones that have the same problem on idle, check everything on the TPS! TPSes dont die that easy, where many of us change it without improvements, usually its just in the connections...
The Following User Says Thank You to Asura For This Useful Post: