Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 4th February 2011, 00:07   #1
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

wolf_gsxr is on a distinguished road
Default the ultimate induction

right. im currently designing an induction kit for my car. it will be made from mostly carbon fibre. i decided to post it in this section for 2 reasons. 1) because its aimed for track cars/ high power over "bling factor" and 2) because this section is mostly occupied by intelegent people not twats (no offence twats) anyway...

the design will be of a raceland scoop design. it will be carbon fibre minus the 90 degree silicone bend. ive got the basic shape i want i just need to know 2 things.. looking at adamskiTNR's (the oricle) direction. should i have a large cone style fliter at the back or a performance pannel filter at the front of the scoop. i was thinking of the front for several reasons. larger surface area, better top end rev range and if the air is getting slowed by the filter first then building velosity by the narrowing of the scoop giving the best overall power.

is what im saying correct and should i carry on designing/ building or am i talkin out my arse and should stop? any advice/critisizm welcome ta
wolf_gsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 00:23   #2
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

im liking your idea it would be a whole lot better if you could make the scoop one big sealed unit instead of the 2 half's of the raceland. i also think that the filter in the front would be better and easier to get to in pit lane conditions after a visit to the gravel trap.
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 00:35   #3
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

it will be one sealed unit mate. and that was my thought. i said raceland just to describe the general shape. i aim to get a large percent of the filter infront of or as close to the grill as possible. will also line the bottom of the carbon scoop with heat reflecting material (the name escapes me lol) to keep heat soak (and a fire) minimal
Old 4th February 2011, 00:37   #4
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Have you seen the old Pro Comp inductions before?
Old 4th February 2011, 00:41   #5
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

yeah i have mate. looks pretty but isnt most of the hole covered by the slam pannel? never seen the inside wise. there a cone filter arnt they? that and mine wont cost 400 and will still be made of carbon fiber
Old 4th February 2011, 00:52   #6
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_gsxr View Post
yeah i have mate. looks pretty but isnt most of the hole covered by the slam pannel? never seen the inside wise. there a cone filter arnt they? that and mine wont cost 400 and will still be made of carbon fiber
Yeh, covered by the slam panal but you can sort that out easy enough, cone filter aswell. Just wondered if it would be of interest for you (if you didnt know about it) as its one of the only sealed carbon fibre inductions for the saxo thats off the shelf.

Maybe like this then? Similar:

Old 4th February 2011, 00:57   #7
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

cool what is that and how much does it cost? it is similar to that but i want a more gentle curve to increase velocity and less turbulance.
Old 4th February 2011, 07:06   #8
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

that looks to be a 207s1600
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 08:47   #9
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Yeh 207 S1600
Old 4th February 2011, 09:00   #10
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

can that induction be bought? and whats it called?
Old 4th February 2011, 11:28   #11
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_gsxr View Post
cool what is that and how much does it cost? it is similar to that but i want a more gentle curve to increase velocity and less turbulance.
all velocity will be lost as soon as the air hits the air filter. The reason people have the inlet scoop at the front is to try get cold air in, not high speed air.

what about a little air scoop right near the throttle body to get the coolest air as possible in?
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 11:44   #12
wolf_gsxr
Frequent Poster

yeah but my design (like the one above) it will hit the filter, go through and the narrowing of the scoop will increase the velosity of the air. also like on my bike if the scoops/vents are at the front the ram air effect is greater as the air only has to travel through the mess and not the rest of the bay keeping the air speed up pussing it through the filter faster and more efficiently
Old 4th February 2011, 14:17   #13
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

good luck with your project .
have you measured the air inside your current filter system?
fitted a manometer/barometric sensor to see how much resistance/pressure drop is caused by your current air filter?

when you have got those figures then you can decide if all this work is needed,or value for money .
presuming you have no restriction the best your going to get in power increase is around 3%per 10degrees of inlet temp you drop from what you have now --thats the physics of it
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to axsaxoman For This Useful Post:
Old 4th February 2011, 15:52   #14
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
good luck with your project .
have you measured the air inside your current filter system?
fitted a manometer/barometric sensor to see how much resistance/pressure drop is caused by your current air filter?

when you have got those figures then you can decide if all this work is needed,or value for money .
presuming you have no restriction the best your going to get in power increase is around 3%per 10degrees of inlet temp you drop from what you have now --thats the physics of it
I wonder if anyone has tried an intercooler on a N/A car? also using pure alchol or alike on metal pipes of an induction kit with spray nozzles?
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:02   #15
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

there use to be a induction type inter cooler for the ek9 that could be used with a co2 cooling spray the lads who got them found that the car run shit with the intake temperatures so low on a n.a engine.

this is a copy of the a.e.m one but the idea is the same but without the a.e.m filter on the end.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-92...ht_2642wt_1139
Bedford126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:15   #16
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

An intercooler cools hot compressed air nearer to ambient air temperature. As normally aspirated engines do not compress the air its not gained any heat to be removed.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 16:17   #17
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedford126 View Post
there use to be a induction type inter cooler for the ek9 that could be used with a co2 cooling spray the lads who got them found that the car run shit with the intake temperatures so low on a n.a engine.

this is a copy of the a.e.m one but the idea is the same but without the a.e.m filter on the end.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CIVIC-92...ht_2642wt_1139
Probably it restricted the induction so not enough air was entering the engine.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 19:55   #18
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

If your inlet temp is at ambient air temperature running an intercooler will do nothing. as the air passing over the core will be the same as the air within it. so no heat transfer will occur. a co2 or water spray will cool it down. just like a desk fan. all it is doing it actually heating the air that it moves. but it is because of the evaporation of sweat on your skin that it cools you down. Personally i think it will be a cool project, but i wouldn't expect any major gains. as the gains to be physically had are not that high anyway
Old 14th February 2011, 14:54   #19
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

the extra dragyou would create with an intercooler would drop ower more than the cooler temps would raise it ,how ever if you had an alloy bonnet with an inner skin which the inlet ran up through that would wotk --but lot of work for not alot of gain --just take the air from outside --thats the answer .
your next idea is going to be using a ram device -same again no real ram effect til you go ver asround 200mph --so fine on an aircrft --but no good for a car