Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing This forum should be used to discuss topics relating to car care and car detailing. (cleaning, polishing, buffing, scratch removal, car care products, etc, etc)

Old 2nd April 2013, 21:24   #41
Davyy
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Clio 172 Flamer
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Davyy is on a distinguished road

All i used yesterday on my first ever clean..

Two bucket method with autoglym shampoo, with a mitt and autoglym detailer. Also dod use that megs ture gel with the sponge pad thing, does make a big difference!

Came up very well thanks to Moxys previous wax etc so can't wait to properly get in to it.
Davyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:28   #42
Gashman
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Icelandic Furio
Gashman is on a distinguished road

Great thread, extremely useful information
Gashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:50   #43
Jayzlife
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Stockhatch VTS
Jayzlife is on a distinguished road

Tbf if Moxy is a detailer then the paintwork should be good conidtion and you won't need to worry about claying fora while.

Iron x might pull to much off either still worth going over though.

What I would say is Moxy could have used a decent wax so I would wait untill that stops beading before stripping it back and prepping and protecting it again. If he has machine polished it then that's a bonus as you have a good starting point and all the more reason to get technique etc right to try and prolong it.

Last edited by Jayzlife; 2nd April 2013 at 22:06.
Jayzlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:59   #44
Davyy
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Clio 172 Flamer
Davyy is on a distinguished road

Yeah it was machined..

That is one thing i have never understood..

How and why do you strip back wax?
Davyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:10   #45
Jayzlife
Infrequent Poster

You can strip a wax with G101 from Autosmart.

Also you can use a cheap mix of daisy(cheap Tesco fairy liquid) and water most call this a All purpose cleaner(APC) can be used on pretty much everything, engine bay, interior, plastics etc etc good worth having in the detailing box.

You can strip it back so you can start again and refresh your car getting it looking pristine again.

Or you can strip it back to ensure that the previous wax has totally gone before going through all the motions of prepping it again. I'm pretty sure there is a another better reason but I can't think of it right now.

You can top up waxes and sealants though so once a month or so you could just give it a wash, QD wipe down top up the wax with a extra layer etc. I don't like doing this and tend to just give it a good going over every 3-4months depending on which wax is applied.

Last edited by Jayzlife; 2nd April 2013 at 22:36.
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:27   #46
Jay_
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 92 Eunos
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Jay_ is on a distinguished road

I'm starting to look into this now I've got an OK motor again. Been a very helpful thread. Cheers guys.

Very unusual for Sax-P

Jay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 22:36   #47
m11ler
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Posi VTR, Eunos Roadster
iTrader Score: 6 (88%)
m11ler is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickle View Post
Mine after a run of Collinite wax. Beading i had this morning

Mine are bigger

m11ler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:08   #48
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Fabia VRS, mk1 fiesta + some others
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
m4tt274 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyy View Post

How and why do you strip back wax?
You need a detergent to strip wax, so any detergent will do.
Fairy liquid for example is brutal stuff.
m4tt274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:09   #49
Pricklep
Saxperience Hardcore!
North East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTS, S60 D5
Prickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to beholdPrickle is a splendid one to behold

Lets not have a 'bead off'
Prickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:14   #50
m4tt274
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Fabia VRS, mk1 fiesta + some others
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
m4tt274 is on a distinguished road

Posted the same thing twice. Ignore this comment.
m4tt274 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:25   #51
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Focus ST & 206 GTI180
Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m11ler View Post
Mine are bigger

Meh

lolol

Anyway, for stripping wax ect use Daisy APC cheap as chips from tescos and unless you have a sealant on which is super resistant it will remove protection and is much cheaper than G101.

Obviously as your car has been prepped and polished and protected by Moxy you won't be needing to strip the protection for a while.

As said again clay won't be required for quite some time however if you wish to keep on top of the finish buy products such as AS Tardis, IronX or a combo like Trix. These products will remove pretty much any contaminant.

For a mitt I choose you Supernatural wash mitt AKA the Wookies fist.

They're expensive but the amount of suds they hold and the way they glide over your bodywork I've never matched before with any mitt.

Get yourself a cheapo Microfibre mitt you can even buy them in pound shops now infact I have a few I use for my alloys. They're are from a company called ICE £1 in pound land IIRC great value for money.

Shampoo wise I'd opt for Meguiars Gold Class shampoo that's 473ml or Basics of Bling by Dodo Juice

2 buckets will cost you under a fiver, grit guards are something I wouldn't worry about on your budget but as time goes by the idea is to collect better products.

Drying towel, well for £4 from BNQ you can buy Kent drying towels and tbf they're not bad value for money currently on 3 for 2 so you can buy 2 sets of Microfibre cloths and a drying towel for £8.

Not the best in the world but for £8 you can't argue.

Wax wise, I do like my Dodo products so will always recommend them grab yourself some Rainforest rub @ £25 delivered Ebay:310595679200

Metal polish go for Autosol can't remember the price from Halfrauds but I use that and Megs NXT.

You will need some applicator pads sure you can get them on ebay cheap. Also for plastic and tire dressing I have always used Meguiars Endurance gel and I know many detailers do too.

Washing method;

Rinse thoroughly top to bottom of the car
Pre wash sprays and agitate where needed
Rinse thoroughly again top to bottom of the car

2BM wash
Thorough rinse top " " " " "
2BM
Thorough rinse top " " " " "
Dry
Polish if you have any
(could wash and rinse again)
If not Wax the car let it cure for a while wipe clean
(could apply more layers)
Sort the metals exhaust ect
Dress plastics.

Stand and admire.

At this moment of time I can't think of anything else but no doubt I've forgotten some bits, that's for a basic decent clean.

ST
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:31   #52
moxy89
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): Astra vxr with added boost
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
moxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to all

Dodo Juice SN was used so will last a while, so dont strip anyway wax just yet! That car was swirl free when it left. I hope it still is
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:44   #53
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!Jamie is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxy89 View Post
Dodo Juice SN was used so will last a while, so dont strip anyway wax just yet! That car was swirl free when it left. I hope it still is
He's got a good few months of protection there .

Definitely don't strip that and apply some < wax.

ST
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:50   #54
Jayzlife
Infrequent Poster

Looks like he has some easy cleaning for the next few months then.

Just keep ontop of it and QD it every now and then when it stops beading time for a fresh detail.
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:56   #55
moxy89
Saxperience Post Whore

moxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to allmoxy89 is a name known to all

Yeah dont use stuff that will strip wax unless you have a decent wax to replace it with!! If you need any advice just drop me or jamie a PM or even some lads above that are showing knowledge
Old 2nd April 2013, 23:59   #56
moxy89
Saxperience Post Whore

jamie, hows the detailing going buddy, im currently looking into getting a unit, 1100sq ft with upstairs as well! Want my dad to put a waiting room in so i can have a sofa, fridge and plasma with ps3 in just incase people want a wait for a little!
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:06   #57
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
jamie, hows the detailing going buddy, im currently looking into getting a unit, 1100sq ft with upstairs as well! Want my dad to put a waiting room in so i can have a sofa, fridge and plasma with ps3 in just incase people want a wait for a little!
Tbh mate it hasn't I've been bogged down at work and it's a risk to leave especially in this climate I'm hoping the weather will pick up so people fork out. People around my way just don't seem arsed about all this lol.

Wow a unit would be epic especially with all that gear in there to keep customers quiet if they fancy waiting! I hope that all works out for you!

ST
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:32   #58
moxy89
Saxperience Post Whore

im travelling a fair bit at the moment doing it, got two range rovers to do, One in london the other in reading area for £400 each mate, the money is out there mate just have to move around to find it! Im trying to stop doing pants cars and just do high end stuff!!
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:36   #59
Jayzlife
Infrequent Poster

Detailing can earn some serious cash. I would love to start a business but I'm not good enough yet.

People that can wet sand orange peel etc amaze me crazy skills.
Old 3rd April 2013, 00:36   #60
Jamie
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
im travelling a fair bit at the moment doing it, got two range rovers to do, One in london the other in reading area for £400 each mate, the money is out there mate just have to move around to find it! Im trying to stop doing pants cars and just do high end stuff!!
That's good money! I also want to go after high end stuff, show people you work on little 'boy racer' hatchbacks and they will run for the doors, show them a picture of the Porsche you've detailed recently, open for business!

I need to sort my life out and rethink my situ, my company name is 'RelfectionWorkz' but I'm not registered or anything yet so I'll have a rethink and get my ass in gear lol

ST