Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 21st January 2017, 21:33   #21
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Car(s): JuliustoogyJD
DaCrazyOne is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_SaxoForte View Post
Had the same problem with some of the rubber seals, just try to clean it out a bit more and refit and should be ok. you could maybe try putting a small amount of sealant or something around the edge to help if you still have problems but they should hold in on their own.

braided brake lines are a nice upgrade but don't expect any huge changes in the braking performance. As for the discs and pads I don't think you can put larger discs without switching the calipers but in my opinion its a bit of a waste of time on the rear, save the money towards upgrading the front brakes if you want better stopping power.
Just had the calipers changed and also fixed handbrake line. Now I have problem. Theirs no air in as bled system going in order from furthest away from filling and repeating on all. Hand brake is now fine and working 3 clicks and my cars secure. Pushing down on brake peddle is like a sponge and also pressed a dozen times if not more and feels really spongy. Whats the cause to this? Will this be still air in system or something else?
DaCrazyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2017, 22:13   #22
Bedford126
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Civic ep3 type r powered by TDI NORTH
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Bedford126 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
Just had the calipers changed and also fixed handbrake line. Now I have problem. Theirs no air in as bled system going in order from furthest away from filling and repeating on all. Hand brake is now fine and working 3 clicks and my cars secure. Pushing down on brake peddle is like a sponge and also pressed a dozen times if not more and feels really spongy. Whats the cause to this? Will this be still air in system or something else?
Air in system.
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:29   #23
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

did you pump the pedal to make sure the rear pistons self adjusted before sorting the handbrake cables? you don't need to pull the cables tight, just take the slack out.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2017, 16:24   #24
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Either air in the system or the discs and pads aren't seated properly, are they the same discs and pads or new ones?
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 20:09   #25
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Same disc and pads as had on before and plenty left on them.

Bled system today fully was a tiny bit of air in system but now clear of air and full change of brake fluid.

Hand brake is now fine after changing one of the cables due to it being ceased and split since changed and hand brake now working on 3 clicks and fully locked and loaded. Only problem I have now is still the spongy brakes. All airs out of the system all levels are fine checked discs check pads and all fine. Only thing am thinking of now is brake lines or something else I might missed.
Old 23rd January 2017, 21:38   #26
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

I'd probably just drive it for a bit and see if it improves I find sometimes the brakes just need to seat back in after being messed with
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:10   #27
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Will see how it gets after few days running. Thx for the advise and help too
Old 24th January 2017, 17:22   #28
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

hope you made sure the hand brake levers are back to the stops and cable are not holding them off when adjusted --If they are not on stops self adjusters will not work correctly
spongey brakes?
--is it ABS equipped?
if so the pedal never feels as good
Old 29th January 2017, 18:17   #29
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
hope you made sure the hand brake levers are back to the stops and cable are not holding them off when adjusted --If they are not on stops self adjusters will not work correctly
spongey brakes?
--is it ABS equipped?
if so the pedal never feels as good
Seems to of improved some now done bout 300 to 400 miles and lots of braking and seems to be getting better

Yes ABS and pain in the ass they are too lol.
Old 30th January 2017, 08:41   #30
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

can you make the ABS work if you stamp on brakes?
Old 30th January 2017, 19:40   #31
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
can you make the ABS work if you stamp on brakes?
As in Emergence stop then yes as in stamp on hard as can and abs kicks in so yeah that works. Its getting better so guessing still correcting its self or am just not use to having brakes as are or mean tot be but its better than it was before. Before was like peddle down halfway before even getting any braking now its like about 1/4 down n pressing n brakes applying but not like firm like am use to.
Old 6th February 2017, 11:59   #32
BUMMERS
Regular Poster
North West Region Member

BUMMERS is on a distinguished road

Did you follow the correct bleed sequence?
BUMMERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2017, 12:16   #33
stevex

stevex is on a distinguished road

Sounds like it's better now, but I normally go farthest line away to closest.

Also it's worth noting that a bad piston will cause symptoms like there is air in the system. I tried to bleed a friends car where the pedal felt spongy, no fluid leaks or anything but just not much pressure on the rear (fluid was trickling out). Took the rear calipers off and one had a dodgy piston and seal, again wasn't leaking but I was not able to build decent pressure and get a good bleed at that caliper.
stevex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2017, 00:02   #34
DaCrazyOne
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMMERS View Post
Did you follow the correct bleed sequence?
Yeah followed from biggest distance away from bay to closest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevex View Post
Sounds like it's better now, but I normally go farthest line away to closest.

Also it's worth noting that a bad piston will cause symptoms like there is air in the system. I tried to bleed a friends car where the pedal felt spongy, no fluid leaks or anything but just not much pressure on the rear (fluid was trickling out). Took the rear calipers off and one had a dodgy piston and seal, again wasn't leaking but I was not able to build decent pressure and get a good bleed at that caliper.
Pistons have all been cleaned up was some surface rust on outta part and on piston but have had changed one that needed new and other is perfectly fine done full rebuild of them and changed everything.

Seems lot better now guess needed time to calibrate or some weird thing lol but working smooth now. Very minimal spongy if anything at all and this I know is down to my brake lines so maybe next upgrade is breaded brake lines here I come. But having that said saving for is200 sport project now going to be turning me saxo I think into a lovley track day car or might do the lexus sport into drift monster.
Old 11th March 2017, 16:43   #35
jeffchiz
Saxperience Post Whore
Central Counties Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): mk1 JP4'd VTR, '16 Fabia Monte Carlo
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jeffchiz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCrazyOne View Post
Had a look at that kit decided to get different one with air tight pipe on it with ball in piping and container and just fill up at the top might consider to get the kit above another time as trying save money where can out the budget I have set aside to upgrade and mod car. Can simply fill up from top and just press pedal n check for air and color of fluid
That might be the same kit I bought. Cost £7 and it came with a pipe with a valve in it so you can pump the brakes without having to nip the bled screw every time you release the pedal. Its classed as a one man kit but I still had my partner in the car pressing the pedal, otherwise how would you know if the brakes are bled as you cant see the hose?

jeffchiz is offline   Reply With Quote