Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 6th September 2011, 23:27   #41
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

totally aggree, but most ppl just want big power for little cost these days, boost makes that easier

bodied saxos are good fun cars, but as said, the bang for buck isnt as good, and when you can spend the same on a car and get X amount more power, its really only the obvious choice(well to me anyway), it really all boils down to what you want out of the car and your money
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 23:33   #42
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Agree all round...just to the average Joe they really need to learn how to drive properly first to make use of any extra power.

One bloke at work was going on about how he was screeching the hell out of his tyres and smoking them at his first ever trackday and that he was so good people were pointing.

Yes i kindly pointed out to him that turning in early and mashing the foot flat to the floor isn't the quickest line for a FWD haha!
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 00:30   #43
toxic
Frequent Poster

toxic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
totally aggree, but most ppl just want big power for little cost these days, boost makes that easier

bodied saxos are good fun cars, but as said, the bang for buck isnt as good, and when you can spend the same on a car and get X amount more power, its really only the obvious choice(well to me anyway), it really all boils down to what you want out of the car and your money
do you know were a good place to get a turbo kit might look into this boost thing
toxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 00:44   #44
blackie_2k5
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region Member

Car(s): VTR Turbo, 106 xsi track slag, Transit recovery, B
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
blackie_2k5 is on a distinguished road

depends on your budget
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
FUCK YES. I won on the internet.
blackie_2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:32   #45
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic View Post
are they as good as catcams 708 i am looking to go this way with my engine
yes every bit as good if not better--but you expect me to say that
--any differences will be small as the duration +lift used on both these cams is to allow use of a single t/b as well as ITB,S and give a reasonable idle --physics dictates these things .
but if a 20% saving is not worth considering get the 708,s I have sold 20+ sets of these now and had no complaints of any kind
In a previous post someone was saying that the knowledge is now in the public domain --it always has been --but it how you match all the components of the engine together +then spen the money on getting it mapped right .
It still suprises me how many spend fortunes on bits shiney + otherwise ,then get very tight on getting it mapped correctly --not a recipe for getting the best from your project --there is no miracle 1 hour solution to dialing everything in to get the best

Last edited by axsaxoman; 7th September 2011 at 09:38.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 09:52   #46
Gareth_R
Established Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie_2k5 View Post
it really all boils down to what you want out of the car and your money
And how much work you're prepared to do yourself.

E.g. - massive budget, go boost and can pay a company to do it (not that i would as they rip you a new bum hole)

Large-ish budget and prepared to do a little bit but not loads - no point going boost you'll give up halfway through. Bodies are the better route for this situation but you'll be gutted when someone spent the same about and got way more power with more upgrade options for the future

Modest to large budget, prepared to go the extra mile and put the effort in yourself - boost all the way!

limited budget - you'll struggle to do either
Old 7th September 2011, 11:13   #47
toxic
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
yes every bit as good if not better--but you expect me to say that
--any differences will be small as the duration +lift used on both these cams is to allow use of a single t/b as well as ITB,S and give a reasonable idle --physics dictates these things .
but if a 20% saving is not worth considering get the 708,s I have sold 20+ sets of these now and had no complaints of any kind
In a previous post someone was saying that the knowledge is now in the public domain --it always has been --but it how you match all the components of the engine together +then spen the money on getting it mapped right .
It still suprises me how many spend fortunes on bits shiney + otherwise ,then get very tight on getting it mapped correctly --not a recipe for getting the best from your project --there is no miracle 1 hour solution to dialing everything in to get the best
they sound good to me when its time to get them i will buy them off you with you tb
Old 7th September 2011, 16:26   #48
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
This is what makes me laugh as well. IMO the map is the most important part of the build... make sure you get a mapper you can trust!!!

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 16:39   #49
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Black Corsa C SRi
LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

bodies get my vote on a saxo.
if you want big bhp figures to brag about then go turbo
Old 7th September 2011, 16:46   #50
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

N/a is king
Old 7th September 2011, 17:04   #51
Gareth_R
Established Member

Boost isn't just about big bhp it's about useable power - so much more across the rev range than n/a
Old 7th September 2011, 17:08   #52
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth_R View Post
Boost isn't just about big bhp it's about useable power - so much more across the rev range than n/a
Finally someone who understands why some people use turbochargers
Old 7th September 2011, 17:21   #53
Gareth_R
Established Member

i seriously thought about keeping my 16v engine, camming it, bodies, standalone etc

but from what i could see, i'd spend as much as i would turbo-ing, for the sake of what, 30bhp, and i'd achieve that extra 30bhp way up in the rev range and have to rag shit out of it everywhere to use it, because the power band was so narrow

so i looked at turbos, saw that i could put my foot down in third at 40 and maybe actually accelerate at a decent rate, rather than having to drop to second, and decided that suited me far better

pretty tough call though
Old 7th September 2011, 17:39   #54
scot-ish
Established Member

Car(s): Audi S5, Corsa, Defender 90 CSW
scot-ish is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so i looked at turbos, saw that i could put my foot down in third at 40 and maybe actually accelerate at a decent rate, rather than having to drop to second, and decided that suited me far better
yup, aslong as you get a decent turbo matched to the engine. otherwise you'll be worse off lagging away waiting on 4 or 5k coming round before you can even make boost.

as said, its no an easy choice, i would build myself, and play with turbo setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I've seen pics of him and he's like Ayres Rock with tattoos.
scot-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 17:49   #55
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i seriously thought about keeping my 16v engine, camming it, bodies, standalone etc

but from what i could see, i'd spend as much as i would turbo-ing, for the sake of what, 30bhp, and i'd achieve that extra 30bhp way up in the rev range and have to rag shit out of it everywhere to use it, because the power band was so narrow

pretty tough call though
you got that all wrong turbos only make power between 6,999 and 7,000 rpm N/A engines make power 1 and 10,000rpm there is the issue of no torque to go with it but torque is just for bragging in pubs

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 17:59   #56
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Ill certainly be heading down the boost route with the latest project.

Had TB's on the Saxo and honestly believe with the setup I had it was the worst money I spent on the car in terms of performance.

Sure if you're aiming for a very high spec N/A engine with all the trimmings and alot of internal work (Similar to/above the engine currently in AlexB's 106) then yes from my experience of a lesser spec internally and having been in Toad's car when it had AlexB's engine in, i'd agree that its a worthwhile modification but itll need high investment on the internals aswel to reap the benefits.

If you already currently have a decent map on a cammed 16v engine and you're simply looking to add TB's to that you'll be massively disappointed. Having had mine on the same set of rollers there was a pitifully low increase across the range figures wise (BEFORE: being cammed/mapped and AFTER having applied tb's to it), not worth the expense.

Usually thats a point thats made early on in these threads but can't see it having been mentioned thus far. If you're starting with a standard-ish engine common sense option both financially and for performance is with boost.

Last edited by willsy; 7th September 2011 at 18:18.
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to willsy For This Useful Post:
Old 7th September 2011, 18:11   #57
toxic
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
Ill certainly be heading down the boost route with the latest project.

Had TB's on the Saxo and honestly believe with the setup I had it was the worst money I spent on the car in terms of performance.

Sure if you're aiming for a very high spec N/A engine with all the trimmings and alot of internal work (Similar to/above the engine currently in AlexB's 106) then yes from my experience of a lesser spec internally and having been in Toad's car when it had AlexB's engine in, i'd agree that its a worthwhile modification but itll need high investment on the internals aswel to reap the benefits.

If you already currently have a decent map on a cammed 16v engine and you're simply looking to add TB's to that you'll be massively disappointed. On the same set of rollers there was a pitifully low increase across the range figures wise, not worth the expense.

Usually thats a point thats made early on in these threads but can't see it having been mentioned thus far. If you're starting with a standard-ish engine common sense option both financially and for performance is with boost.
Sounds like TB are just a waste of money then so why do people rave on about them
Old 7th September 2011, 18:20   #58
willsy
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): '64 Volvo V40 R’Design, '89 Ph1 309 GTi, ‘97 Mk1 S
iTrader Score: 125 (100%)
willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!willsy is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic View Post
Sounds like TB are just a waste of money then so why do people rave on about them
They can be good and worthwhile but you have to spend alot (more than you'd spend on a boost setup) to get the best out of them

Adding them to a 'mild' spec engine is where theyre in the realms of a waste of money
willsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 18:25   #59
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

You know what sod turbos, sod tb's get a trackday and tuition and buy yourself a video vbox and get better at driving first.

Turbo's and tb's are like black and white some people like one others liek the other...
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 18:41   #60
toxic
Frequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
They can be good and worthwhile but you have to spend alot (more than you'd spend on a boost setup) to get the best out of them

Adding them to a 'mild' spec engine is where theyre in the realms of a waste of money
so if you had 5000 to spend what would be the best for power when you put your foot down i was going to get catcams 708 and omex ecu Jenvey range TB for now then forged pistons later on but do like the sound of a supercharger will have to look into this first as its all new