Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 3rd February 2009, 17:20   #21
fixit

fixit is on a distinguished road

i cant tell you how the kit works until its all done but i have used it several times now and works great the kit is totally different from the ones on the 106 website they are just straight replacement kits, this repair kit uses the original axle when the old bearings have damaged it so no need to change the axle and no need to replace the axle pins, the price may vary as i would have to investigate the manufacture costs of the kits so the price may come down alot, just really need to know if people would be interested in this kit. I can give more info on the guarantees and price once i get the kit produced just let me know if your interested so i can get them made up, once the kit is produced i will gladly tell all how it works cheers!
fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 17:59   #22
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Black Corsa C SRi
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUK3H View Post
tbh if the pin is worn all you can do is either make a shim to fit in the bearing or have a bearing with a smaller internal diameter which wouldnt fit over the rest of the pin.
i was thinkin it would be something like this
LeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:34   #23
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

how do you bearings have a good fit though? i have seen some that have been so badly worn and corroded that the OD of the pin is ive 1mm smaller than it should be. best way imo is to press new pin in with new bearings.
you might sell a few kits to people that arent too clued up, but for the people that know the score with these rear beams your going to have to expailn what type of bearings etc you use to convince us.
williamsvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 09:36   #24
fixit

fixit is on a distinguished road

all will be revealed, I understand for the mechanics out there that you will need convincing but you will see how it works when they are produced, it took a long time to work out a method of repair and a good few attempts to get it right I will let everyone know asap when they will be ready, just wanted to see what interest there would be cheers
fixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 13:33   #25
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore

LeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to beholdLeeM is a splendid one to behold

if its a genuine method of repairing that will be safe and reliable and will last a while im sure you will sell lots of kits. we cant tell you how much interest there will be without knowing how its actually done.
Old 4th February 2009, 13:39   #26
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

without swapping the pins there is no way to repair a beam properly
its as simple as that

any way of to get round it will only last a short while (hence only a year guarantee)
a proper repaired beam will last as long as a new part
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 14:41   #27
williamsvts
Saxperience Post Whore
North East Region Member

Car(s): pulsar gtir, mk4 astra sxi
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!williamsvts is absolutely fabulous!

unless he uses some sort of roller bearing instead of a needle bearing. but then i dont think it will fix every beam as i have seen some with VERY badly corroded pins..
williamsvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2009, 17:57   #28
LeeM
Saxperience Post Whore

maybe offset the bearing with a modified spacer, but cant see that working very well either tbh
Old 4th February 2009, 18:11   #29
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamsvts View Post
unless he uses some sort of roller bearing instead of a needle bearing. but then i dont think it will fix every beam as i have seen some with VERY badly corroded pins..
i thought that for a second
but still most guys dont notice till a beam is well amd truly shagged so tbh most need new pins
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2009, 23:07   #30
silversaxo113
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): 1)16v VTR
iTrader Score: 11 (92%)
silversaxo113 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsy View Post
Being honest 1 year isnt much of a guarantee, thats probably around the time that a simple bearing swap might last for depending on milage etc.

At this stage you're still unlucky if you've experienced some form of rear beam failure, most are probably from older cars which are pushing 10 years old or have seen a hard life over bad roads.

With a fully reconditioned beam id rather pay £300 for the guarantees of new parts etc for at least 5 years or so (approx) than worry about paying over £100 for something which may only last 12 months.

Sorry for being picky, but i do take some persuading.
ive just paid 280 for a reconded rear beam (02 reg vtr but has given me a hell of a lot of trouble before this)with guarntee seems the way to go mate unless you can show people what they will be getting for there money before they buy again if or when you show them and it does work you shouldnt have any problems shifting a few
Old 19th January 2010, 21:26   #31
BullockXR
Regular Poster

Car(s): peugeot 106 1.1 xr, peugeot 106 1.6 xsi, peugeot 3
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
BullockXR is on a distinguished road

only way i could think of using different bearings is by getting the beam in a lathe and turning the damaged surface down and using a bearing with a smaller internal diameter....
BullockXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:20   #32
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

I have been looking at this for some time and am very close to an OEM grade solution .
I know there are at least two other people making the stub pins ,but from the information I have neither of these people are actually making the stub pins the same as citroen do .

Our pins will be EXACTlLYto same spec as original ,they will be induction hardened + centreless ground finish to 3 decimal places,not just lathe turned . .
I will post pictures when they are ready .
Old 2nd February 2010, 23:41   #33
Tontsy
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberScotland Region Member

Car(s): Audi
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Tontsy is on a distinguished road

if there was such a way for it to be done, on a cheaper basis, and so well, lke you say.
i would imagine jpsaxo, would have thought of it.
in all the torsion threads, ive seen contstant posts from willsy, sparco_tom and jpsaxo!

how come these guys dont know the trick?
Tontsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 00:01   #34
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeM View Post
i was thinkin it would be something like this

making the pin smaller diameter will weaken it .
if pin has a 2mm wear groove on one side then minimum you could reduce its diameter by would be 4mm ,to keep it concentric and the axle true.
reducing sidwall by 4 mm could be fatal , then there is the question of the corrosion pitting that happens next to the axle support bracket and where the bearings run .
I have cut up these pins when having a loyyds insurance metalurgy study carried out ,and you would suprised how deep the pitting can be .
It is only now that good s/h axles are getting hard to find that i consdered there would be enough of a market to allow batch production of these pins .

making them in small batchs using the correct material + heat treaments was not a viable option

Old 3rd February 2010, 11:16   #35
saxo-parts
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): C2 VTR stripped, 406hdi, clio 172
iTrader Score: 27 (100%)
saxo-parts is on a distinguished road

let us know how it works and if it will, i'll buy as i've got scrap beams piled up with worn pins. not going to buy something thats not explained or proven though...
saxo-parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2010, 14:41   #36
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
I have been looking at this for some time and am very close to an OEM grade solution .
I know there are at least two other people making the stub pins ,but from the information I have neither of these people are actually making the stub pins the same as citroen do .

Our pins will be EXACTlLYto same spec as original ,they will be induction hardened + centreless ground finish to 3 decimal places,not just lathe turned . .
I will post pictures when they are ready .
How are yours different to other refurbishment firms?
Old 3rd February 2010, 18:19   #37
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
How are yours different to other refurbishment firms?
quality - pure and simple ,
made from same type of material ,hardened same way as original and machined in same way
ask any bearing maker what surface would they specify for needle rollers to run on and how hard does the surface need to be .
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:15   #38
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
quality - pure and simple ,
made from same type of material ,hardened same way as original and machined in same way
ask any bearing maker what surface would they specify for needle rollers to run on and how hard does the surface need to be .
Though everyone knows that this is a common problem with saxo/106 beams that the bearings collapse and score the pins?

So surley it would be an advantage to have a stronger pin?
Old 4th February 2010, 19:51   #39
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
Though everyone knows that this is a common problem with saxo/106 beams that the bearings collapse and score the pins?

So surley it would be an advantage to have a stronger pin?
the problem is not one of strength ,but of keeping water away from the needle roller brgs .
most of the brg problems happen because when ride height is altered the brgs are not regreased or more usual the seals at th inner end are not postioned correctly ,which then allows water ingress.
within a short time the damage will happen .
both the seals and the seal seating rings are moveable on the axle ,so it is easy for the ham fisted or careless to move the postion of either or both which will cause incorrect water proofing of axle bearings ..
this why it easy ro find ,or it was easy to find undamaged 1.1 or other base model axles as these cars don,t often get lowered --when did you last see a std height vtr or vts?
ever man and his dog is an expert on lowering ,if they were there would not be so many knackered rear axle tubes + brgs.
I have been lowering ax/106 +saxo,s for over 10 years now and none of my customers who had their cars for a few years have had any axle issues

Last edited by axsaxoman; 4th February 2010 at 19:55.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 23:17   #40
donnypaul
L-plater

Car(s): Saxo VTR mk 2
donnypaul is on a distinguished road

repaired mine with a sleave over the pin. car is dropped 70mm on the rear.
failed mot dint it was wobbling all over, replaced bearings lasted 2 months and was back wobbling, took arb off bearings were ok but the pin was worn around 1mm on inner n outter edge, thought about a sleave then it was made in less than 5 mins that was in october 2010 its now 28.01.2011 and over 7000 miles and still solid, would defo do this to another car i own that had same rear beam problem, many of you might think is it safe or not well id say its 99.9% safe not had any problems with it and im sure if something was to give it wouldnt be dangerous as it would have just worn like the pin eventually does only thing i would say though is if the pins worn or corroded to a depth of over 2mm then replacement of the pin or beam to be the only option i think.
donnypaul is offline   Reply With Quote