Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 2nd January 2014, 09:17   #1
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of
Default Action Cameras?

Hello

I struggled on where to post this so figured this was the best place!

I am looking to get an Action Camera to use when Mountain biking mainly but also to stick in the car at times.

The prices seem to vary and the quality seems to move in accordance with the price which is to be expected.

The GoPro ones seem to be the market leader but at £330 on Amazon for the Hero3+ black edition, it seems fairly expensive

I have been looking at the Contour Roam2 and the Sony Action Cam as these are half the price but is it worth paying the extra??

The Contour looks lighter and seems to mount better being circular so could be better for mountain biking with a helmet or on the bars?? I don't really want to spend upwards of £300 but will if the GoPro is worth getting over the others.

Any personal experience?

Cheers
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 09:57   #2
unclewinnet
Infrequent Poster

unclewinnet is on a distinguished road

Have a look at aee cameras its similar to the he gopro I have one its hd you get a lot more for your money they come with a waterproof remote and a screen which are both extra on thd gopro you can pick them up from £130 I use mine on my jetski and the quality is as good as the gopro as my mates have the gopro

Jobn
unclewinnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 10:09   #3
matt_vtr_15a
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Stage 1 Mitsubishi Evo 6
matt_vtr_15a is on a distinguished road

I was in your same situation and made a compromise, I went for the GoPro Hero Silver.

Theres a good app on android and iphone for the hero 3's allows you to mount your GoPro and wirelessly start/stop the recording etc. to save you getting out od the car everytime you need to.. (no need for wireless remote which is £60-80 it also allows you to easily change the settings of the gopro instead of going thru the GoPro menu.

You can pick them up for around £220ish from from argos, the whitebis cheaper but the Silver is worth the little extra imo. Grab a suction cup mount and you already have A LOT of mounting options.

I also grabbed some safety wire type stuff which I attach to anchor point in my car so I don't lose it if it fails at high speed.

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...457196&page=21
matt_vtr_15a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 11:38   #4
LVC
Frequent Poster

Car(s): VTS, Hawkeye WRX, Def90 & Freelander HSE (ex-VTR)
LVC is on a distinguished road

Yes I was pretty sure that GoPro was the only choice until someone mentioned the SJ1000 to me - under £60 I was convinced that it would be crap .......

definitely not the case ..... 1080P real HD, superb light/dark reaction, on a back to back comparison in some conditions the colours in the GoPro are purer but for the price difference I am extremely pleased and even GoPro owners are impressed.

Waterproof with virtually all of the fixings included (not the case with the GoPro) and a decent fish-eye quality lens.

I use mine on my jetskis, quads, bikes and cars and every time the result is great.

It's not a pro camera so don't expect BBC quality images but for what most of us use the action cameras for it's still the best buy - check out youtube and you'll find plenty of comparisons - bought mine off ebay from a chap in the UK (quicker delivery than China) and a spare battery and charger from a bloke in Jersey.

I didn't see the point of spending over £200 when I get the same results (as far as my usage goes) for under £60.

Kiss French, Speak English, Ride Italian & Play Japanese
LVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:17   #5
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies so far, has given me a lot to think about!
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:21   #6
josh11490
Established Member

Car(s): Clio 182 Daily, 106 GTi Track Project
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
josh11490 is on a distinguished road

I've also been looking into getting a Gopro over next few months, from what I can see the Gopro is the best for a reason, but I've no experience using any, I'm a firm believer of you pay for what you get.
Old 2nd January 2014, 13:23   #7
DaveybVTS

DaveybVTS is on a distinguished road

Have you seen the polaroid action cam? They look really good and arent to expensive either. Get some great reviews on the internet
DaveybVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2014, 15:46   #8
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveybVTS View Post
Have you seen the polaroid action cam? They look really good and arent to expensive either. Get some great reviews on the internet

Good shout on this, they look pretty good and £120 seems a good price as you get a bike mount with it!

Hmmmm