Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports > Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Non Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your non saxo in this forum.

Old 3rd August 2015, 20:17   #61
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Ordering gaz coilovers tomorrow for my 182. Is there a reason you're not getting adjustables if it's track orientated?
Im a horrid mechanic and also probably couldnt set a car up very well. Im more than happy to jump in somethig an adjust my driving to suit.

That and suspension is the cost of over 5 track evenings and I really need to learn to double clutch or maybe persevere and try heel and toe (i just cant seem to do it in the clio)

Otherwise im going to need a lot of clutches and gearboxes
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hard_corejoeboy For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd August 2015, 20:23   #62
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

I need to update the thread really as did a few little upgrades over last few months. Nothing major but probably helped a tiny bit.
Old 3rd August 2015, 22:29   #63
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

Wait Ross has a 182?
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SimpleJoee For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd August 2015, 22:38   #64
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJoee View Post
Wait Ross has a 182?

Amongst other cars!

Cup 182, being built for track currently with a friend. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1438640881.811578.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	17983
Old 4th August 2015, 07:27   #65
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Is that the Racing Blue colour or is it the light? Those and the Liquid yellows always seem to fetch over £1000 more than a standard silver colour but they don't half look good! What sort of spec is it atm? What do you think of it?
Old 4th August 2015, 07:37   #66
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Yes it's Racing Blue. Good job I only paid 1200 for the car then

Totally standard, 86k mile, HPI clear completely straight 182 cup with 4 previous owners when we got it.

We've had it a week. Full service inc gearbox oil, full brakes all round (RC6 on brembo discs all round) new SRF brake fluid.

We have two sets of wheels already (16" ones it came on and another set of 15's) - R888's on the 15's and RSR's on the 16's (soon) - I'm refurbishing the 16's this week.

Gaz coilovers all round ordered awaiting delivery. Full polybush black kit awaiting delivery.

Interior (mostly) stripped as of yesterday, in talks with various cage companies (likely to be JC Weldfab due to my links with them already). Seats looking likely to to Sparco Evo's but will try a few first.

Should be a fun little car.
Old 4th August 2015, 08:30   #67
Gandi699
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Amazon green VTR 16v, Inferno RS clio 182
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gandi699 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Yes it's Racing Blue. Good job I only paid 1200 for the car then

Totally standard, 86k mile, HPI clear completely straight 182 cup with 4 previous owners when we got it.

We've had it a week. Full service inc gearbox oil, full brakes all round (RC6 on brembo discs all round) new SRF brake fluid.

We have two sets of wheels already (16" ones it came on and another set of 15's) - R888's on the 15's and RSR's on the 16's (soon) - I'm refurbishing the 16's this week.

Gaz coilovers all round ordered awaiting delivery. Full polybush black kit awaiting delivery.

Interior (mostly) stripped as of yesterday, in talks with various cage companies (likely to be JC Weldfab due to my links with them already). Seats looking likely to to Sparco Evo's but will try a few first.

Should be a fun little car.
get a thread up
Gandi699 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gandi699 For This Useful Post:
Old 4th August 2015, 08:57   #68
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Blimey I thought mine was a bargain at the time! What GAZ coilovers are they?

Mine's pretty fun as is but I had an impromptu play with a local 172 unsure of spec but clearly on aftermarket suspension, wheels, tyres and spotted an aftermarket Rarb as well.

I had to give everything I had to even stay with him and the car didnt feel happy so with your planned spec I can imagine it being a but of an animal except for the straights (depends what cars you've had before)
Old 4th August 2015, 12:17   #69
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Another video of BMW race car and Integra slowing us down as usual. Also a little wet moment on the slippiest corner of the track

https://youtu.be/FX2JM5cMIt0

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 25th September 2015 at 08:06.
Old 4th August 2015, 13:10   #70
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Sideways fun!

https://youtu.be/JduqtVgwGoA
Old 4th August 2015, 13:43   #71
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post
Awful amounts of understeer now counts as fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 13:54   #72
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Have you ever driven that part of the track in the wet? Understeer to oversteer is not fun? Any driving to me is fun.
Old 4th August 2015, 14:32   #73
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

simonsaunders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Im a horrid mechanic and also probably couldnt set a car up very well. Im more than happy to jump in somethig an adjust my driving to suit.

That and suspension is the cost of over 5 track evenings and I really need to learn to double clutch or maybe persevere and try heel and toe (i just cant seem to do it in the clio)

Otherwise im going to need a lot of clutches and gearboxes
No need to double declutch; you've got syncomesh on your gearbox and you're not racing some '50s Bentley.

Heel and toe is a good skill and easier in some cars than others. Just think of it as rev matching; you're hard on the brakes, your revs drop and just as you slot home a lower gear, you give a little blip on the throttle so that when you come off the clutch it's seamless and the engine load doesn't really change. I don't think it particularly saves the running gear (can't hurt though), but you'll keep the car nice and smooth on corner entry, aiding consistency and therefore speed. Called H+T because your toes (ball of the foot, really) is on the brake and you just fish for the accelerator with your heel.

Personally I find H+T a distraction and likely to fuck up my braking. I work around this by dragging the clutch a bit on release (notably when down to second) and trying to change down before the revs have dropped too much. Not perfect, not text book, but I'd sooner that than fuck-up braking because I was cocking about with the throttle and miss an apex, or worse.

Good to see you out on track!
simonsaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2015, 14:37   #74
Rossp
Super Moderator

Change of plan for me. Ended up buying the Spax RSX kit as it gives coilovers on the rear allowing height adjustment at the back too. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 4th August 2015, 14:42   #75
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsaunders View Post
No need to double declutch; you've got syncomesh on your gearbox and you're not racing some '50s Bentley.

Heel and toe is a good skill and easier in some cars than others. Just think of it as rev matching; you're hard on the brakes, your revs drop and just as you slot home a lower gear, you give a little blip on the throttle so that when you come off the clutch it's seamless and the engine load doesn't really change. I don't think it particularly saves the running gear (can't hurt though), but you'll keep the car nice and smooth on corner entry, aiding consistency and therefore speed. Called H+T because your toes (ball of the foot, really) is on the brake and you just fish for the accelerator with your heel.

Personally I find H+T a distraction and likely to fuck up my braking. I work around this by dragging the clutch a bit on release (notably when down to second) and trying to change down before the revs have dropped too much. Not perfect, not text book, but I'd sooner that than fuck-up braking because I was cocking about with the throttle and miss an apex, or worse.

Good to see you out on track!
Its been way too long! Last trackday was 8 laps or so at Bedford a good few years ago!

Ah thats reassuring as thats what I try to do too and can completely understand about not wanting to cock up the braking. I've found it easier in some caes but almost impoosible in this one. What I am bad for doing is using the gearbox as a brake as well as the brakes which can't be too good for the car!

Ross. Please do. Spax are usually good value for money.

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 4th August 2015 at 14:45.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:11   #76
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Its been way too long! Last trackday was 8 laps or so at Bedford a good few years ago!

Ah thats reassuring as thats what I try to do too and can completely understand about not wanting to cock up the braking. I've found it easier in some caes but almost impoosible in this one. What I am bad for doing is using the gearbox as a brake as well as the brakes which can't be too good for the car!

Ross. Please do. Spax are usually good value for money.
A bit of engine braking won't hurt, just don't shock the box or over rev the engine!

I'm new to all this FWD stuff but definitely enjoyed learning new techniques. It definitely felt great trail braking all the way to the apex, letting the backend rotate, getting on the gas and firing it out again. Felt quick, probably was quick, buggered it up more often than I got it right.

Seriously considering something RenaultSport in the near future. Maybe a 197.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:20   #77
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

I was dead set on a 200 cup but since owning this and talking to people the general consensus is that these are more fun and faster in the tighter corners and the Clio 3 better in the higher speed and longer corners due to more stability (its massive)

Generally the Clio 2's are quicker than the Clio 3's in a straight line too. Not by much mind! The main area the 3 excels is braking with the big brembo brakes.

The 197's are notorious for bad gearboxes and also fuel economy is terrible.

Best I've had in this is 57.9 on the a12/a14 and I usually always average 40mpg mixed.

I've had the Twingo before this and I highly recommend it but its not massively fast in a straight line.

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 4th August 2015 at 16:22.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:23   #78
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Don't forget that these are cheap as you like now as Ross has just proved!
Old 4th August 2015, 16:53   #79
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Old 4th August 2015, 17:26   #80
simonsaunders
L-plater
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
I was dead set on a 200 cup but since owning this and talking to people the general consensus is that these are more fun and faster in the tighter corners and the Clio 3 better in the higher speed and longer corners due to more stability (its massive)

Generally the Clio 2's are quicker than the Clio 3's in a straight line too. Not by much mind! The main area the 3 excels is braking with the big brembo brakes.

The 197's are notorious for bad gearboxes and also fuel economy is terrible.

Best I've had in this is 57.9 on the a12/a14 and I usually always average 40mpg mixed.

I've had the Twingo before this and I highly recommend it but its not massively fast in a straight line.
Been doing a lot of reading up. I have odd requirements really, which includes a 200 mile round trip every other week. Just decided that the Clio 2s aren't grown up enough for that, plus period reviews suggest that the 197 rode a lot better than the Cup / Trophy 182. Shame really, as Trophys look cheap at the minute. Convinced a 182 would be more fun, just not when I'm stuck on the M25! So bigger and more comfortable wins. I'm sure the 197 will track well enough, be a laugh and is cheap enough to abuse!

Read about a number of potential faults, but if the box is alright on a 10 year old car with 70k on it, I'm sure it'll be fine. If not, I'll just bang another one in.

My Mrs. really wants me to buy something newer and posher, but I'm not convinced