Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 8th November 2021, 13:26   #1
spruce

spruce is on a distinguished road
Default Whirring Noise after clutch replacement

Strangest noise that started around 30-40 miles after I put a brand new clutch in the car;

-noise only appears at the top of clutch pedal travel (when pedal is released)
-on initial cold start its quiet
-noise quiets almost completely when car is in gear and under load or when engine braking
-noise was not there prior to clutch replacement

The car is running a jp4 engine and a MA 1.5D gearbox. The flywheel and clutch are not upgraded, standard 180mm item. Sachs brand.

Any ideas? Will check and replace gearbox oil, although I doubt its coming from the box.
spruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2021, 13:10   #2
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Release bearing,mine makes noise as well, it's only slight for me so I'm just going to leave it as it is.
The release bearing as two shitty little plastic clips that hold it in place and easily breaks.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2021, 13:56   #3
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

The standard JP4 clutch and flywheel are for 200mm clutches, not 180mm.

180mm is for 1.1/1.4 and 1.4D/1.5D.

180 and 200mm clutches have different release bearing types.

My best guess, is that you're using the wrong release bearing for your clutch type OR as pointed out on of the small plastic clips have broken and it's not quite centered.

Unless of course it's random input shaft noise that just happens to be making noise now.
Old 13th November 2021, 18:53   #4
spruce

I'm aware the 1.6 engine uses a 200mm clutch, however I'm running a 180мм flywheel so I need the 180mm kit. The previous 180mm clutch worked fine, made no noise but was slipping due to wear (used the old clutch from the 1.0 engine). The release bearing, friction disk and pressure plate came as a kit, so I doubt there is misalignment there.
The clutch feels and works fine, doesn't slip under power.
Today I found if I release the clutch pedal sharply the noise quiets significantly. Looks like I'll have to poke around the inspection holes and see if the darn thing has become misaligned.
Really don't want to take the box off again...
Old 21st November 2021, 08:15   #5
spruce

Has anyone had a primary shaft bearing let go and what does it sound like? The noise I am getting doesn't change in pitch with the rpm..
Old 29th May 2022, 09:01   #6
spruce

8,000 plus miles later, I'm very happy with the engine swap, but my clutch problems persist after putting a brand new sachs 180mm clutch kit ( friction disk, pressure plate, release bearing).
I'm now getting a whine whenever the clutch pedal is 70% percent or more released and under light acceleration. Under engine braking and heavy acceleration the noise is almost gone. When idling in neutral I get a high pitched "scratching" noise but no whine.
Also, another extremely strange symptom: under heavy engine braking when going down a steep hill in lower gear, the clutch seems to drag and I'm having difficulty getting it out of gear. In any other circumstance, the clutch seems to work fine.

I've no idea what I did wrong and now it seems I need a new gearbox and/or a new clutch kit.
Any suggestions?
If I get a 1.6 200mm flywheel will the trigger points be the same as my current 1.0 flywheel?
And what are the chances my previously perfect gearbox has dropped an input shaft bearing and how do I determine it?
Old 29th May 2022, 09:04   #7
spruce

Also I forgot to mention : when releasing the clutch in neutral, I can hear the gearbox spinning and making the normal whirring noise. If I continue releasing the pedal, it starts to scratch and grind as I let off the pedal.
Old 22nd August 2022, 17:52   #8
spruce

Well it turned out my gearbox was the culprit, a new second hand diesel box and everything works as it should. No whining in any gear or neutral.