Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 2nd November 2008, 14:02   #1
jakescanes1234

jakescanes1234 is on a distinguished road
Default saxo speaker upgrade.

Hello
i have recently got myself a 1.1 saxo, i have fitted a jvc head unit. and have decided on upgrading the speakers.
i cant afford too upgrade it all at once, so i intend too begin with upgrading the front speakers, then rear then adding an amp and possibly a sub if needed.

i am looking for some advice regarding speaker choices, i have read alot on here and it has been very helpful.
so, for front speakers i have a budget of £100.
are components that much better than coaxials? are they worth the hassle of fitting?
my head unit says it has 4x50w channels, so will i NEED an amp?
or can i add this later?
any advice welcome please. thankyou
jakescanes1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:10   #2
grant_evans
Frequent Poster

grant_evans has a spectacular aura aboutgrant_evans has a spectacular aura aboutgrant_evans has a spectacular aura about

components are a lot better than coaxials and are definately worth the extra hassle when fitting

you will be able to run components from the headunit, but will sound a lot better if you use an amp but yes you can add an amp later on when you have a bit more cash

if it was me i would do it in this order
front components
amp for components
sub and amp
rear quarter speakers (if you think you need them

some people think you need rear seakers some people dont, i wouldn't bother

do you plan on making speaker pods for the doors so you can fit bigger speakers or do you just want some that will fit straight in do the current mountings?
grant_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:14   #3
jakescanes1234

thanks for advice
i want too keep it looking standard pretty much, so i would prefer too just fit some that are the correct size, 13cm for the front isnt it?

i guess once i have the components and sub i will see how it sounds, it has rear speakers. but, they are just standard junk.
so, advice on what products too fit?
components first?
how do i go about mounting the tweeters?

thanks again, jake
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:33   #4
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Looking at options myself for the front 13cm door speakers looked a jbl this morning in motorworld & thought i`m not paying that rip off price,so went on ebay typed in jbl 13cm speakers & was amazed at how much cheaper they are(new 1`s as well)so have a look on ebay mate.

Steve.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 15:38   #5
columadboi
Frequent Poster
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): posi blue vtr :P
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
columadboi is on a distinguished road

i got a couple of kenwoods 150 watt max for £49.99
columadboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 16:35   #6
grant_evans
Frequent Poster

grant_evans has a spectacular aura aboutgrant_evans has a spectacular aura aboutgrant_evans has a spectacular aura about

yep start off with components, to fit mine i cut a small hole in the doorcard as high as possible to mount the holder in, and yes they are 13cm
grant_evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:21   #7
jakescanes1234

okay, any specific models youd reccomend?
Old 2nd November 2008, 22:28   #8
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Lupo GTI
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakescanes1234 View Post
okay, any specific models youd reccomend?
Dependant on budget, a few to consider are...

JBL 507C, £40 posted (ebay)
SPL Dynamics SD5.2's, £80 (car audio direct)
Various DLS/hertz/diamond, £80-££££££ (car audio direct)
Coonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2008, 23:16   #9
jakescanes1234

budgets £100.
what so any hertz speakers?
i have no idea what too look for, do i want the highest rms or what?
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:43   #10
-Dan-
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): Millenium Falcon
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
-Dan- is just really nice-Dan- is just really nice-Dan- is just really nice-Dan- is just really nice-Dan- is just really nice

You can try these, I have them, but in Co-axial, and I find that even the coaxials are much better than the JBL Components, so the same speakers but in components, should be very good.

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...eggou10q583jg7

Or you could try these, I've been told they're pretty good (Friend has them in his car)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/dls-...eggou10q583jg7

Coonper is the best person to listen to for advice, ask him to link you to some that he recommends.

Edit: BTW Hertz are a make, If someone is talking about about Hz in spec terms, it's written Hz not Hertz

Last edited by -Dan-; 3rd November 2008 at 09:46.
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2008, 09:50   #11
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Id be considering the following...

Rainbow SLX230

Hertz 130's

SPL SD5.2's

Diamond Comps

Although the choice depends on what amp you will power them with...
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:14   #12
jakescanes1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coonper View Post
Id be considering the following...

Rainbow SLX230

Hertz 130's

SPL SD5.2's

Diamond Comps

Although the choice depends on what amp you will power them with...
at first, just the headunit. then at a later date, will get an amp. funds dont allow it at the moment

so, ive kinda narrowed it down. stretched my budget. and would you reccomend these;

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/hert...03-p-6296.html

or these;
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rain...xe-p-3854.html

i will be getting an amp as soon as i get payed

thanks.
Old 3rd November 2008, 13:19   #13
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore

I'd go with the rainbows mate personally.
Old 19th November 2015, 07:42   #14
Shortyfocker

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTR, Trabant 601S De Luxe
Shortyfocker is on a distinguished road

Hello everybody. Quick question... Which is the mounting depth of the standard speakers. I want to upgrade my 2002 VTR with Hertz speakers and this is what I want to buy :

Front : Hertz DSK130.3 - 2 way 13cm components which have the mounting depth of 52 mm :

Rear : Hertz Dieci 4" Coaxial Speakers DCX 100.3 which have the mounting depth of 42 mm :

Will these be a straight fit? I never used components before and I did not understand grant_evans's post with cutting a hole in the door card to mount the holder in... is that for the tweeters? I know that high frequency speakers should be orientated towards the listener and low frequency ones (subs) can be directed in any way. I think the Deici 13cm come with multiple mounting solutions in the pack. '... The in-line hi/lo pass passive crossovers, and the rich accessory kit provided with these systems increase the installation possibilities.'

If I could use some self adhesive velcro to mount them in the top corners of the dashboard or something like that. Not that bothered but I wouldn't want to do any type of mod to the car. I want a direct swap, so will they fit? Depth wise.

Thank you very much!

George M.
Shortyfocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:17   #15
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Yes depth wise they should be fine.

I slightly disagree high frequency should be aimed at you. Depends on the speaker and your own ears. Test the tweeter in various positions and see what sounds best to you.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2015, 15:17   #16
Shortyfocker

Car(s): Citroen Saxo VTR, Trabant 601S De Luxe
Shortyfocker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Yes depth wise they should be fine.

I slightly disagree high frequency should be aimed at you. Depends on the speaker and your own ears. Test the tweeter in various positions and see what sounds best to you.
Hello Scott, I have installed the components since the rear speakers are a pain to get out and tried it. I know what you mean now. I have directed the tweeters as per the instructions so the left tweeter is aimed at the passenger and the right one at the driver. Now it is true that I can only hear the high frequencies and nothing in relation to base... Not all hope is lost, found this on the internet :

Q: What's the advantage of choosing component speakers for my car?
A: With a properly powered set of matched components, you'll get better imaging and a much more detailed and dynamic sound than you could expect from conventional speakers.

Mounting the separate tweeter closer to your ears optimizes your speakers' imaging and brings out a level of detail you may have never heard before. The premium-quality woofers deliver forceful, dynamic bass and midrange, while the separate crossover networks will properly routing your highs and lows to protect your tweeters and make your system sound its best. As a rule, component speakers generally require an external amplifier to really come alive.

-------------

Q: My new component speakers aren't living up to my expectations. What's wrong?
A: Here are a few tips to get your component speakers sounding their best:

Check the crossover setting — many think that a flat setting for the tweeters is the way to go, but you'll often find that you need to attenuate the highs to counteract too much brightness
Are you feeding them enough power? With most sets of components running them off your receiver just can't give them enough power to operate properly. Remember, underpowering your speakers is more dangerous than overpowering them.
Like a good sub, speakers need time to break in.
Are you getting rattles and vibrations? Check your mountings — you may benefit from installing foam baffles and Dynamat in your doors. Keep in mind, you've created new openings for the tweeters as well.

So will go home and get more dBs into the lower frequencies and less in the high since this is what I experience.

My car radio is a Sony MEX-BT4100U so it gets 52W x 4 at 4 Ohms. The speakers are 4 Ohms. So the impedance is fine. Will keep you posted.
Shortyfocker is offline   Reply With Quote