Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 6th December 2018, 21:10   #201
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

First couple of days of welding.

Last edited by Stissy; 15th July 2019 at 19:36.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2019, 12:50   #202
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

A few updates.

The engine bay and strut welding has finished, the engine bay has been painted in an anticorrosive undercoat and sprayed matte white. The engine was refitted on Saturday. There were a few issues along the way; the alternator was seized, so a new one was ordered and fitted. Initially the engine wouldn’t turn over, but we traced this to a poor earth where the engine bay had been repainted, once the paint had been ground off the car started without any problem. The fuel line connections on top of the pump and around the filter, which was fitted at the pump, leaked, these were removed and replaced with braided hose – eventually the whole line will be braided. The throttle cable is really long, I’m not entirely sure why but on a thread started by one of the previous owners they stated a longer throttle cable was fitted for the S1 inlet, but the long cable caused issues with the idle speed. Depending on where the cable ran and sat in the engine bay, the car’s idle differed. This needed adjusting and securing which has solved the issue for now, but eventually I will look to fit a shorter cable. Lastly, when refitting the brakes, the connection from the brake line to the caliper on the driver’s side front broke, which needs replacing.

Along with the brake caliper, there are a few other outstanding issues. There are a few minor bits of welding still to complete on the cars floorpan. When refitting the passenger driveshaft we noticed the gaiter was leaking. I will probably end up changing both sides, as they’re looking a bit tired. It needs an aux belt – the one supplied with the alternator was the wrong shape. The ECU, fuse box and washer bottle don’t have threads to bolt to, the original metalwork containing the holes were cut out and replaced when the engine bay was welded, I need to drill a few holes and bolt these in. The car needs a fuel filter as it was removed when the lines leaked. I bought a new battery prior to refitting the engine, but the car has screw down terminals. I bought one adaptor for the negative side, but the car is still missing a positive side adaptor. A few wheels bolts are missing, a few bulbs are out/missing. The side indicator cover on the driver’s side is missing. Wipers are missing. The car has nothing on the open side of the S1 inlet, so it needs an air filter and oil breather. Finally, the interior, seats and belts etc. still need fitting. Otherwise, it’s looking pretty good. Big thanks to the lads at Wheatley Motorsport and Chad Cars.

The car is still in the garage to sort the brakes and refill the gearbox oil. After which I’ll bring it home and fix the rest.

Pictures to follow.

Last edited by Stissy; 8th July 2019 at 12:53.
Old 10th July 2019, 08:30   #203
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Great to hear it's still alive. Pics would be good ..
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2019, 12:22   #204
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Progressed a bit more on the Rallye this weekend. All the welding needed for the MOT, and to ensure the car is structurally sound, has been finished, but we’re still planning on welding the holes in the floor, usually covered with rubber bungs, just so there are no holes or areas for new rust to form. We removed the rear wiper motor. We removed the front and rear bumpers, ground back the towing eyes, and painted them matte black. We fitted some 2800k Lunex Plasma Gold headlight bulbs, the yellowest road legal bulbs available, for a proper 90s look. We ground out the rough patches where the previous seat frame bars had been cut out, finally we painted any area of exposed metal or weld.

Since the last update, the brake caliper has been repaired. But still to sort are the passenger side driveshafts gaiter, the missing aux belt, the loose ECU and fuse box, the car needs a washer bottle, fuel filter, battery terminals, wheel bolts, side indicator covers, front wipers, an air filter and oil breather, and an interior. In moving the car, we also noticed that there’s no reverse gear. The gear linkages under the car are knackered, and need replacing. But up to now they got us by. Long term I’d like to get a Satchshift system, which will replace the linkages anyway. Now however, reverse has gone completely so I will need some new linkages in the meantime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_130 View Post
Great to hear it's still alive. Pics would be good ..
Apologies I’ve not got round to uploading any pictures yet. I’ve been too busy fixing the Rallye…
Old 15th July 2019, 19:47   #205
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Few pictures as promised.

New alternator;

Engine going back in;

Old 15th July 2019, 21:49   #206
SpijkerVTS

SpijkerVTS is on a distinguished road

Impressive how far its come in such a short space of time <br><br>Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk<br><br>
SpijkerVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2019, 06:55   #207
dumpy12

Car(s): Peugeot 106
dumpy12 is on a distinguished road

Have been going through all the pages, very impressive job. Very impressive!

If you need anything less ordinairy they currently have a sale on at Winparts.co.uk.
dumpy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2019, 09:26   #208
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpijkerVTS View Post
Impressive how far its come in such a short space of time <br><br>Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk<br><br>
Cheers. I’ve owned the Rallye for just under a year and a half now, but most of that time it’s just been stored in my garage. Hopefully I’ll get these last few issues resolved over the next couple of weeks or so. Fit an interior and anything else it needs, and stick an MOT on it. I’m looking forward to getting the car on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpy12 View Post
Have been going through all the pages, very impressive job. Very impressive!

If you need anything less ordinairy they currently have a sale on at Winparts.co.uk.
Thanks mate. I’ve heard some bad reviews about Winparts, aren’t they Netherlands based, but front as a UK site and act as a drop shipper between you and the real seller? I’ve read a few stories about poor customer service, and late or incorrect parts being shipped with no way to refund or recover the costs.
Old 17th July 2019, 12:11   #209
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry but that welding above is very bad,way too much rust to start with,I would practice some more before moving on the car itself especially that bit on the chassis leg,just constructive criticism,not trying to be a dick

Last edited by VeiRoN; 17th July 2019 at 12:13.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2019, 10:51   #210
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeiRoN View Post
I'm sorry but that welding above is very bad,way too much rust to start with,I would practice some more before moving on the car itself especially that bit on the chassis leg,just constructive criticism,not trying to be a dick
Hey no worries mate. Always happy to take constructive criticism. I assume you’re talking about post #201? If that’s the case, then you’re only looking a few pictures from part way through the first day of welding. We spent three full days on the car in total, which resulted in most of the inner wings and chassis legs, along with part of the strut towers and bulkhead, being cut back and replaced with corten – but I didn’t always take pictures. We then spent a further day and a half sealing the entire engine bay and front arches in an anticorrosive undercoat, before painting.

By no means is the welding, sealing or painting perfect, but the front of the car is now more than structurally sound. Well, should be, we’ll find out when I come to MOT it…
The Following User Says Thank You to Stissy For This Useful Post: