Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 10th April 2007, 09:56   #1
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore
East Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!
Default AV/Cinema Speakers.

I'm after something like this?

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...ON-SAVE155.htm

But currently all I can find is packages with DVD players. In the last 3 months I've got the following;

So I'm after something Philips, but if not philips something that would match the above.
2.1 or 5.1 Systems are what I'm looking for, sony is my best bet but I thought I'd ask see if anybody else knew places to buy a system.

Cheers.
dannyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 10:02   #2
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Richer sounds.co.uk... go of something consisting of seperates - you wont be dissapointed.

If you're looking at sony then check out the Sony STR range, the ones higher up the range are a great base for building a semi decent system on. once you've got that you can pick and choose the speakers and cabling. you might find that you prefer decent floorstanders or go for a more balanced 5 speaker setup. again you can choose your sub so that its dimensions can match your room and match the amount of power you're wanting to output.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2007, 10:22   #3
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!

Saw a yamaha system on there for 80£. My budget, or what I'd like to spend on it would be 150£ at the most.

But thankyou for the link Sir Sayer.
Old 10th April 2007, 21:36   #4
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Sayer, I love the look of these; http://www.richersounds.com/showprod...d9a584ac2f45e7

Now my 2nd question is how in hell would they be compatible with my DVD player, is there an adapter I can get or will I be looking at an amp?

Thanks again matey!
Old 10th April 2007, 21:52   #5
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

oakie dokie. the floorstanders will need a an amp unless (but very unlikely) the dvd player has a builtin amp. the max (rms) power rating of those is 100watts so aim for an amp of 120watts if you can.

I'll have a hunt for you.

Oh and before you buy... ring up your local and arrange a demo with the amp and speakers you have in mind. bring your dvd player and a dvd of your choice (action film with a fair bit of dialogue would be the best bet). you may find they sound shite.

Last edited by Barry123; 10th April 2007 at 21:55.
Old 10th April 2007, 22:12   #6
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Don't worry about looking matey it was just an Idea, I idealy need something I can just plug and play into my DVD player. I know this won't create the best sound, but I don't currently have much more room for amps etc.

I prefer the style that I've presented, but for what I'm looking for I don't think I'll be able to get something in the same range. I think I may have to look into something like; THIS?
Old 10th April 2007, 22:20   #7
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyjay View Post
I prefer the style that I've presented, but for what I'm looking for I don't think I'll be able to get something in the same range. I think I may have to look into something like; THIS?
you'll still need an amp for those dannyboy...
Old 10th April 2007, 22:21   #8
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Whats the budget rudeboi?
Old 10th April 2007, 22:24   #9
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Are you sure, as there the same style as these; http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...ON-SAVE155.htm and I'm pretty sure they don't need an amp?

Also I'd be looking at Max £150-180.
Old 10th April 2007, 22:33   #10
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Are you sure, as there the same style as these; http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/conten...ON-SAVE155.htm and I'm pretty sure they don't need an amp?

Also I'd be looking at Max £150-180.
there is nothing to say there is an amp but not to say there isnt... Im confused

anyway....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
And if you must go Surround then...
5.1 Amp with Dolby PLII - £120
Speakers - £80

Ok its over budget BUT! you've got the Pro Logic II which upmixes 2-Channel to 5.1. So you can upmix TV, 2 channel DVD, Radio and PC to surround. I dont know if you looked at my system in much detail when you were at mine mate but that's pretty much how i have mine setup - the quality is great. Ok, not Bose, Arcam or Cyrus great but still far better than most.

Ad
Old 10th April 2007, 22:36   #11
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

If i was to get the amp, could I go with my original Idea of the floor stand speakers? Would be the same price...

And also I see what you mean, but I asume they would be like most AV systems that you see in the shops these day. Apologies if I'm incorrect.
Old 10th April 2007, 22:45   #12
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

yeah you could go with the amp and floor stands. the thing is the 'biwiring' of the speakers (as its got a subs intergrated into them). but you can wire them up in the same way until decide to go further with the system... this might help clarify a few things http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/pages.cfm/id/28

you've then got the ability to buy specific rear speakers and a centre when the time comes
Old 10th April 2007, 22:55   #13
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Just widening my options, what about something like this; http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/74747?
Old 10th April 2007, 22:59   #14
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Just widening my options, what about something like this; http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/74747?
it'll do the job
Old 10th April 2007, 23:02   #15
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Will it be ok on a DVD system though, as there mainly designed for PC's.

I was looking at the 200Watt setup for half the price.
Old 10th April 2007, 23:06   #16
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

I cant really comment man as i havent heard that package before - it'll be fine but not impressive. be careful on the '200' watt thingy. its combined... 120w for the sub and 40w for each speaker.
Old 10th April 2007, 23:21   #17
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore

Impressive cost money, and well it is currently sat in my bedroom and I need something other than TV speakers, as there shite, specialy on LCDs.

Cheers for the help ads, all information will be examined carefully before a purchase is made.
Old 10th April 2007, 23:23   #18
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

rock on man, keep us posted on what you get.
Old 11th April 2007, 20:07   #19
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

Danny boy! Think very carefully before you buy and AV package. The Sony SAV-E packages are passive, which means you WILL need aseperate amp. My advise would be to save up a bit more, buy a half decent amp (they are going 10 for a pound nowadays) and invest in some decent speakers.

If you are looking for "satellites" I would try to get hold of some Elac speakers. You'll be looking at about £150 for a set of 5 with an active sub, but wired up to a decent amp will be loads better than your tv speakers for bot tv and films.

As enticing as the Sony speakers look on Empire's website I can honestly say they are shite! They will offer you 5.1 surround with an amp but the sound quality is awful!

Definitely take up Ad's advice and go into a few hifi shops and listen to a few set ups within your budget.

Another word of advice is DO NOT take the info in magazines such as What Hifi? etc as Gospel! Get out there, listen to some systems and listen to the salesperson! I know that's not normally advice most people take, but in a reputable hifi shop they will give you honest advice. At least I used to when I worked at Superfi for 8 years!

Lastly, if you see something you really want, let me know the model numbers and I will see if I can get you a better price! - I still have contacts in the trade.

Good luck.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 20:25   #20
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Craig can you get discounts on arcam and cyrus stuff???