Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music > Mobile Phones / Devices

Old 13th November 2011, 19:23   #1
Aly
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about
Default iPhone 4S Fail

Well I've had a terrible day

At work today at around 1pm my iPhone 4S fell into a sink full of water
I got it out the water really fast, must have only been in there for maybe 2 seconds if that, when I took it out the water the phone was completely dry.

I rolled some tissue and dried inside the earphone jack and the bottom and I switched off the phone, initially it was all working but the sound stopped working and did the home button.

I let it dry off for an hour switched it back on and it was fine, there was small amounts of condensation behind both camera's and the screen had light water marks.

They have both gone now and tbh you can't even tell It has been dropped in the water. Works perfect looks perfect, none of the features are damaged battery life is great.

There is one problem though...

I've set off the water sensor inside the earphone jack
It's a paper element that when it reacts with water it turns Pink so Apple no it's come into contact with water thus voiding my 1 year Warranty and it also voids me ever wanting to take out Apple Care with my iPhone.

I set off the water element on my 3GS when I dropped it in some snow and Apple never picked up on it when I took it to the store once to get an issue with Camera sorted.

It's not a cool story but if you iPhone users are stupid like me and drop it in water act fast, I think I've been very lucky, Just gutted I've lost my warranty.

I'm going to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they can open it and make sure there is no small amounts of water in there.
My brother thinks If I'm really nice I might be able to get a new phone but I'm not really bothered, it still looks new and nothing is wrong with it.

Aly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 19:27   #2
K17NEY
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

Car(s): FQ Volvo V70R Peugeot Partner
K17NEY is on a distinguished road

It may seem fine but it will probably give you a lot of trouble, I poured lager on mine last year and had countless problems with syncing. The connections in the bottom socket corrode very easily.
K17NEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2011, 19:31   #3
RichM
Established Member
South West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR MK2 '01 Vauxhall Astra Sport Hatch '60
RichM will become famous soon enough

If it was just water, stick it in a bowl of rice (uncooked) and cover the whole phone with the rice for a couple of days. That should draw out the moisture.
Old 13th November 2011, 19:33   #4
Aly
Saxperience Addict

Aly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura aboutAly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by K17NEY View Post
It may seem fine but it will probably give you a lot of trouble, I poured lager on mine last year and had countless problems with syncing. The connections in the bottom socket corrode very easily.
I'm hoping I don't have this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichM View Post
If it was just water, stick it in a bowl of rice (uncooked) and cover the whole phone with the rice for a couple of days. That should draw out the moisture.
Cheers,
I've heard this trick but I'm hoping there's nothing in there really, took the sim out and it's totally dry.
Old 16th November 2011, 16:00   #5
b0t13
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Vts
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!

stick it in rice anyway, best be safe than sorry with a phone costing £££ and no warrenty!
b0t13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 16:04   #6
char69lie
Established Member
East Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 00 Silver 106GTi
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
char69lie is on a distinguished road

From past experience.. its not only one water sensor you would of set of.. the headphone jack being most prone to water.. condensation.. rain.. anything getting in that hole.. and the one where the charger goes.. but theres also a couple inside the phone.. if they have gone pink.. then usually they wont fix it under warranty best to get them to open it up and have a look.. you may not of set those ones off!
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
slow as poss so all the pre teens register eye contact, windows down so I can exchange my Bebo address
char69lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 16:09   #7
Proffitt
Saxperience Post Whore
North Wales Region Member

Car(s): e46 M Sport
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
Proffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant futureProffitt has a brilliant future

Unlucky! Would cry if i did that

Is water damage not included in insurance?

Cymru am Byth
Proffitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 16:09   #8
Aly
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by char69lie View Post
From past experience.. its not only one water sensor you would of set of.. the headphone jack being most prone to water.. condensation.. rain.. anything getting in that hole.. and the one where the charger goes.. but theres also a couple inside the phone.. if they have gone pink.. then usually they wont fix it under warranty best to get them to open it up and have a look.. you may not of set those ones off!
Sorry I should have updated this.
I went to the Apple Store yesterday, the genius I was talking to was really nice, if you talk to them properly and are nice they will do good things for you.

I asked him to open it and see if it was bad.

He opened it and he said it's fine inside, no signs that water got inside and I haven't set off the water sensors inside the phone (there are 2 inside).

He said I could have a new 4S and they would take my old one but I would have to wait a week. Or he said I could keep my current one and if problems happen take it back.

It's totally fine, I love the phone it's amazing, I've been so lucky.
Old 19th November 2011, 22:53   #9
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

Glad to hear you like it mate mine comes on Tuesday can't wait
Old 20th November 2011, 07:19   #10
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

+3 stick it in rice for a couple of days. There still will be some moisture left in there in creases and places you can't see
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote