Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 12th April 2007, 22:36   #1
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): '15 Focus ST-2
iTrader Score: 13 (100%)
Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!
Default Firefox...Virus?

At home, I have a wireless network which includes desktop PC and a laptop.

Tonight, the PC has been funny and not letting me load up Firefox and is quite slow. However, the cable light is on so internet connection is getting to the computer. Using Firefox with the laptop is fine as it always loads up.

I have 'VirginMedia' PC Guard security on my computer which includes Firewall, Virus Checker, Pop Up blocker etc so it's always been protected at all times. I have also noticed a few pop ups of Internet Explorer over the last few days.

Does this sound like I have a virus? Am I best to run the checker?

Thanks Luke
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 22:54   #2
MTR
Frequent Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mark II VTR [Gold]
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
MTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of light

First thing i'd do is download adaware from download.com and do a full scan. Most likely it's just a bit of adware feeding adverts over your connection.
MTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 22:56   #3
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!Luke is absolutely fabulous!

Could this be preventing me from using Firefox then?

I'm letting it do a full virus check as we speak.
Old 12th April 2007, 23:02   #4
MTR
Frequent Poster
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mark II VTR [Gold]
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
MTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of lightMTR is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Could this be preventing me from using Firefox then?

I'm letting it do a full virus check as we speak.
It's possible, depends on the software that may have installed itself. Once the virus check is done just run adaware once and all should be revealed.
MTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 06:10   #5
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Okay, cheers mate.

I'll have to download the Adaware on the laptop though and then put it on the PC.
Old 13th April 2007, 13:09   #6
Alexp
Central South
Track / Motorsport Prep

Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): VTS :)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!Alex is absolutely fabulous!

If pos i could always have a look this weekend.

Have you tried using IE to see if the connection works, if that fails could be an IP Problem with the router.

Plus, download and use Opera, much better
http://www.opera.com
Old 13th April 2007, 13:10   #7
saxodan
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): Golf
saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!saxodan is absolutely fabulous!

lol I love it when computer n00bs use firefox to be cool and slag of IE .. when really they dont know anything about browsers...

Luke thats not aimed at you btw lol

is it connecting at all?
saxodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 13:23   #8
dannyjay
Saxperience Post Whore
East Midlands Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!dannyjay is absolutely fabulous!

Open up task manager, then goto processes, and click (if it is there) firefox.exe, then click "End Process". Now try loading Firefox up again.

If this doesn't work, try re-installing the software, making sure you back up your Browser favourites, this can be done by following this address (You need to have hidden files viewable);

C:\Documents and Settings\YOURNAME\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

Click your profile (usualy some obscure name) then copy both the files that are labeled; "bookmarks" and "bookmarks.bak" to a sepate folder, now uninstall that version of firefox, and then delete all folders that refer to the software (EG, the folder you just came from, and the folder in C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox).

Now install a new version, and copy paste the bookmarks files into the same location I showed you earlier, and all should be well. If this isn't the case, let me know.
dannyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 16:18   #9
b0t13
Saxperience Post Whore
North West Region Member

Car(s): Vts
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!b0t13 is absolutely fabulous!

sounds like adware if popups are appearing from IE.
b0t13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 20:07   #10
devilsadvocate
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf TDI
devilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud ofdevilsadvocate has much to be proud of

Try Spybot and Ad-aware as already mentioned. Think virus is a bit stong, sounds like spyware. Try a reboot, reinstall firefox, check installed progs and remove anything you have never heard of.
devilsadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2007, 08:47   #11
Luke
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Thanks for all information people.

I ain't had chance to do it all weekend, but I am going to run the programs now to see if there is something there. I'll probably end up removing a few programs as I never use them, BUT I have backed up all my photos etc just incase.

I'll dish the rep out tonight folks.