Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 27th March 2009, 18:58   #1
ben_glen
Established Member

Car(s): white Mk1 1.1, White 2010 Skoda Superb
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ben_glen is on a distinguished road
Default Help with Virgin Wireless broadband...

hi guys,

i'm helping a neighbour to sort out her wireless network and it says that everything is connected and the internet is connected too, but when i go onto IE it keeps saying the page cannot be displayed, the passwords are correct etc and i dont really get why its not working....

the router is a Netgear 1 and the 2 laptops are a HP compaq 6710b and an Acer TravelMate 8100....

any ideas?

cheers
The police never think its as funny as you do..
ben_glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 19:03   #2
Ste-88
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): GTiT
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!

Have you power cycled the modem? If it hasn't been used on the wireless router before it has to refresh and re-assign the IP... if it's cable?

Just simply unplug the modem, leave it 20 seconds, plug it back in and let it re-assign, maybe do same with router...
Ste-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2009, 19:20   #3
ben_glen
Established Member

just tried that 1 with no luck
Old 27th March 2009, 19:40   #4
Ste-88
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): GTiT
Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!Ste-88 is as cool as a cucumber!

Is it cable or ADSL?
Ste-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 03:19   #5
ben_glen
Established Member

adsl..
Old 28th March 2009, 09:02   #6
saunders
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Fiat Seicento, MK2 Furio 2000 X, Pug 206
saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!saunders is absolutely fabulous!

Are all devices connected wirelessly? Are all failing to open a webpage or connect?

Need more information, but if all devices wont connect then what you want to do is turn all encryption off and see if you can connect then slowly up the settings. This way you can pin-point the issue the device is having to connect.

I had an issue with my HomeHub, whereby if I had my SSID hidden and I turned off the router my PC would take ages to connect even after several reboots of the PC and the router. So in the end I left the SSID as enabled.

Aslo try to ping the router, if you open up the command prompt:

Type "cmd" in the run dialog at the start menu, then "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" you should recieve a response. Also try typing "ipconfig" to see if the devices are connected

Last edited by saunders; 28th March 2009 at 09:04.
saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 09:48   #7
stevie_m
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 VTR Two Tone, Mazda 3 Sport
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
stevie_m is on a distinguished road

now and again my interweb won't work, but i just pull out all the cables give em a blow including the adsl filter. then it normally back on within the half hour
stevie_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 11:34   #8
Lozza_vtr
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): VW Golf Mk4 1.8T
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!Lozza_vtr is absolutely fabulous!

Could be MAC filtering, the MAC address of the computer would need entering into the netgear router.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:13   #9
Bowey
Established Member
North East Region Member

Car(s): A45
Bowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to allBowey is a name known to all

no offence here but have you turned the wireless connection signal on at the laptop end? alot of people do that, 99% of laptops have a button you need to press, and if that doesnt help i suggest resetting the router back to manufac setting by getting a pin and holding it in the reset button at the back of the router for 10 seconds
Bowey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 15:33   #10
stevie_m
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 VTR Two Tone, Mazda 3 Sport
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
stevie_m is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowey View Post
no offence here but have you turned the wireless connection signal on at the laptop end? alot of people do that, 99% of laptops have a button you need to press, and if that doesnt help i suggest resetting the router back to manufac setting by getting a pin and holding it in the reset button at the back of the router for 10 seconds

that happened with the missus, the internet does work.. then i pressed the button and waddya know its working
stevie_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2009, 17:19   #11
ben_glen
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowey View Post

yepp they're both on... first thing i checked lol

back here again today, brought my laptop this time too, and its working on their wireless, so im going to fiddle around with these 2 and see if i can get them going, might just not use the virgin management and use windows...
Old 28th March 2009, 17:44   #12
ben_glen
Established Member

ok i've taken the virgin management off and have connected through windows.. its all authenticated etc, but i still cant seem to get onto the internet with them... any ideas?
Old 28th March 2009, 18:27   #13
ben_glen
Established Member

me again.... tried connecting to my own home wireless which i know works.. and they still can't get onto the internet..
Old 30th March 2009, 15:18   #14
bpm
Established Member
Central South Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Citroen Saxo 16v 1.6 VTS '99 (Pearlescent Blue/Red
bpm is on a distinguished road

It will be youre settings in internet explorer. Certain broadband companies have different settings that must be used. They are normally installed when you run the disk supplied. Unfortunately with wireless systems you rarely install directly onto your computer.

Easiest way is to sit in front of your laptop and call the technical support helpline of your broadband provider who will talk you through it.

If you know a bit about computers go into your settings and check you havent got fixed IP addresses, allow the router to automatically assign these or you can get conflicts. Make sure your DNS selection is set to automatic too.

Lastly try plugging the laptop directly into your router, getting it working and tehn use it wirelessly.
Old 31st March 2009, 19:51   #15
raiya
Frequent Poster

Car(s): mrk2 VTR Kent cammed
raiya is a name known to allraiya is a name known to allraiya is a name known to allraiya is a name known to allraiya is a name known to allraiya is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_glen View Post
me again.... tried connecting to my own home wireless which i know works.. and they still can't get onto the internet..

dude what windows are you using?

raiya - VTR - cammed
raiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 16:04   #16
Shane213
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): MK1 Citroen Saxo 1.1i
Shane213 is on a distinguished road

Just like said before, go into the connectiongs page and check that all ip assigning settings are set to autoamtic. Also check that the internet explorer settings are set to not to connect thtourh a proxy and that Auto detect internet settings is selected. Make sure offline mode on internet explorere is also turned off. You can also try opening command promt and typing "ping http://google.co.uk" if that gets a reply then it has a internet connection. Then try installing somthing like firefox.
Shane213 is offline   Reply With Quote