Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 27th April 2021, 15:54   #1
maclaud

maclaud is on a distinguished road
Default changing breather pipe and pcv valve

My car is a saxo VTS 1.6 gasoline model 2002.

In the following picture the pipe is out as you can see. This is the oil breather pipe, right? I want to change it and wondering how this seals to the engine outlet. With a rubber orifice?

At the other end of this pipe, is this the pcv valve? Is there a special name terminology because i couldn't find it as a spare part.

The pipe in the following pic what is used for?

maclaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2021, 16:00   #2
maclaud

the images cannot be displayed directly, so i give the links
image1

image 2
Old 27th April 2021, 19:20   #3
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Okay so picture 1, the fitting is actually press fitted into the head. They wear out with vibration. No option but to try and modify the fitting or glue it into place with oil resistant sealant.

The other end is a valve, but it is part of the airbox. They are not normally replaceable. This is probably why the part is not available separately.

What is the problem with the small pipe? It looks okay and normal.
Old 27th April 2021, 20:40   #4
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

As Martins says that thing on the side of the airbox is a valve. You have a rare thing, which is an original airbox and breather pipes! In the UK they're difficult to obtain.

"The pipe in the following pic what is used for?"

It's a breather (post throttle body). The one of the side is pre-throttle body. I think someone once told me that the one that goes behind the throttle body is under vacuum and that the pre-throttle body valve on the airbox does something to equalise it when the throttle is closed. But I can't remember where I saw that reply, dreamt it or if it is true. EVERY Saxo or 106 I've had, either has an oil catch can or an aftermarket air filter and the holes blanked!

The rear cam cover has a baffle in it, so it should only be vapour that it dispels.

The PCV system is lower down the side of the head and not pictured.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2021, 04:07   #5
maclaud

Thank you for your responses. The problem started with engine misfires (engine interrupts while car was moving) and idle moving up and down. And obviously the cause was that the oil breather pipe was out, as it is depicted in image1.

But i think that the cause the pipe was out, is not because of vibrations but because the valve in the other side of the pipe was stuck closed with subsequent result a high pressure inside the engine crankcase.

Anyway i will dismount and inspect it. I will probably use a special glue and outside some special silicone or plasteline to fit it back on the engine.

Another question. Is there a way to find somewhere the service manual ? I have a book of haynes but the pictures are horrible and it is very old. I found a french pdf which is a workshop and it is not very helpful.