Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 14th March 2018, 22:09   #121
martyno
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI
martyno is on a distinguished road

nice work
martyno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to martyno For This Useful Post:
Old 24th March 2018, 15:30   #122
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road

Today was the first proper break down since the rebuild

On the way to the exhaust company, to have a custom downpipe and centre section, it died not far from their gate!

It was driving fine up to that point, maybe a little rich (could smell it, as I was behind) but my dad reports it was perfectly happy until it sat at some traffic lights, where it cut out.
He restarted it and it drove for a few more miles just fine, until it died whilst cruising at 30mph.

It cranks over but will not fire - done all the basic checks, but I am pretty sure it is the crank sensor. So there wasn't much I could do other than check earths, check fuel to rail, unplug and replug coil pack etc etc.

The previous owner had issues with the crank sensor. The plug was badly damaged, so I replaced that. I guess it could just be the sensor itself, as this wasn't replaced. It is the first thing to try anyway.

I've left the car to have the exhaust done, the lads there have offered to replace the sensor, coil pack and plugs if I drop them off, so that's decent of them. I'm on a strict schedule with the remap & transport for the remap, so there was no way I was going to cancel the zorst work.

At first, my heart was in my mouth thinking the worst, when I saw the hazards come on and it pulled over! But I'm quietly confident it is something routine.

Fingers crossed!
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 00:11   #123
chatty056

Car(s): Saxo VTR
chatty056 is on a distinguished road

the saxo looks well and those wheels in that colour suit the car really well. whats the minimum ride height for the rollers at chip wizards as i have just built my vts engine with cat Cam 708's which are set up correctly on the verniers so its got a rough idle but needs a map to sort it out. i hear wayne is the man with saxos so with out a doubt i will be booking in with him to get it mapped.
chatty056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2018, 14:05   #124
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatty056 View Post
the saxo looks well and those wheels in that colour suit the car really well. whats the minimum ride height for the rollers at chip wizards as i have just built my vts engine with cat Cam 708's which are set up correctly on the verniers so its got a rough idle but needs a map to sort it out. i hear wayne is the man with saxos so with out a doubt i will be booking in with him to get it mapped.
If you visit the Chipwizards facebook page, the top pinned post is a link to a dyno ride height calculator.
Old 29th March 2018, 11:42   #125
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

The exhaust is finished and it looks mega.

They changed over the coilpack, but it still didn't start, so I went down and swapped over the crank sensor as it is a little tight near the turbo.

Before I did, I stuck the code reader on there to find a p1327 error. I've not looked into it yet, but could be an ancient one.

I swapped over the crank sensor and it started up and ran fine. With the new sensor and improved exhaust it drove alot better, noticeably better.

Until...

It refused to restart when on my drive. I wiggled my crank sensor wiring repair and it started up again. So I may well have caused this. I'll have to strip it back down and try again, although it is all heat shrunk and soldered well... it could also be further up in the loom but I doubt it.
So: I've replaced the crank sensor & replaced the sensor plug - so it can really only be my crap wire joining skills....

Ah well, its back home now - countdown to remap.
Old 8th April 2018, 20:44   #126
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Decent'ish weather at last!

My 'new' repair to the crank sensor plug, seems to be holding out. You can see the red tape in the pic below! I decided against soldering again and used the old crimped connector method instead.

I've plumbed in the boost controller and wound it all the way down, which still results in a boost spike. After consulting the manual, that is actually by design and the gate system can be removed if not required to prevent this. For a minute, I thought it was duff!

The running in oil has run its course (no pun intended), so new oil installed.

Swapped out the fuel filter as well.

Fixed the headlight trim, with new clips all round.

Studded the rear hubs. Fronts were already done from my previous struts on my old track car, which I swapped over 2 years ago. Where does the time go, when you have kids...

Swapped over the rear dampers from my spare/old track car axle.
But I didn't take an 'after' photo. Anyway, fronts are Gaz adjustable & so are the rears.

I've run 20mm spacers on the front for 2 years, so finally sorted the rears at 15mm.

Happy with how it all sits now.

Connected up the wideband. Was watching the values, to see if there was anything interesting. The figures look spot on to me. Nice stoic value at warm idle here.

HenryVTR mentioned earlier the fan is not adequate for the radiator and I can prove he is 100% accurate.
It has to keep on, when at idle just so it can keep it under control. In motion, as he described, it is fine.
I've secure the GMC cooler and rad combo with large fan, so I'll try and sort that for the summer.

Ready for the remap on Wednesday - just a wash, hover and new air freshener to sort. Hopefully update at the end of the week, with good news!

Last edited by sri_130; 8th April 2018 at 21:03.
Old 12th April 2018, 14:38   #127
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

The results

A 14 hour shift for Wayne @ Chipwizards resulted in 274bhp.
Despite being a nervous wreck for the day and getting home at midnight, I am more than happy.

There were a few struggles on the day, which normally would have sent my anxiety riddled (and manflu riddled) mind into meltdown, but as many have said/documented on both this forum and Facebook groups etc, Wayne goes above and beyond the customer expectation.
I'd be inclined to say that his persona & business model is unique in this field and undoubtedly the reason why he is so busy & a credit to the profession. I couldn't recommend him highly enough, so I won't!
I'll just leave this here as a thank you.

There are things still to finish with the car, some of which are necessary, some of which are cosmetic, but in terms of the 'more boost project' I can at least say....:

"Completed it mate".

Last edited by sri_130; 12th April 2018 at 14:45.
Old 12th April 2018, 15:06   #128
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

274 BHP Wow, that must be an absolute monster!
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 9Freedman9 For This Useful Post:
Old 12th April 2018, 19:58   #129
PolishSaxoOwner
L-plater

Car(s): Half-Hooptie LHD 1.6 8v
PolishSaxoOwner is on a distinguished road

At this point I would be fitting a set of wings to it
PolishSaxoOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PolishSaxoOwner For This Useful Post:
Old 19th April 2018, 15:21   #130
AdamH
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
AdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant futureAdamH has a brilliant future

Been a while since I logged onto here.. exhaust looks good dude who made that for you? was it 2.5" ?

get the dyno graph up so we can see the curve
AdamH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2018, 21:16   #131
martyno
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): 106 GTI
martyno is on a distinguished road

Nice! and the in car videos are where???
martyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 20:52   #132
edbar1
L-plater

Car(s): C2 GT Track Car And A C2 GT Daily
edbar1 is on a distinguished road

Exhaust looks stunning mate
edbar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018, 20:57   #133
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Awesome results mate bet your well happy had dealings with Wayne and all he will get from me is praise the guy really knows his stuff and his waiting room is well nice lol
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2018, 12:48   #134
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyno View Post
Nice! and the in car videos are where???
No videos yet pal. Not run it properly to be honest.
The boost hoses kept coming off and I've not had chance to fit my replacement ones. The brakes are also shockingly bad. I really need something here - but finding the right solution as a package is proving pretty expensive.
I've bought a brand new genuine coil pack also, which has bankrupted me!

No new updates really either. Oh, I did buy an electronic boost controller with solenoid, which I might get around to experimenting with in the summer.

Will be back on it, when I can clear a backlog of other stuff. I've just recently switched to running a Clio 182 that was in my garage since last year! Working many overtimes, been abroad, wife's car to sort, kids...
I've run out of money and enthusiasm for a couple of months, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamH View Post
Been a while since I logged onto here.. exhaust looks good dude who made that for you? was it 2.5" ?

get the dyno graph up so we can see the curve
It was made by Topgear performance in Doncaster. Yeah, 2.5".

Dyno graph is below. Guessing its the clutch that causes the hump, as that's what it feels like on the road. Saving now, for the stronger pressure plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Awesome results mate bet your well happy had dealings with Wayne and all he will get from me is praise the guy really knows his stuff and his waiting room is well nice lol
LoL @ the waiting room. Biscuits were pretty impressive as well.
Old 13th May 2018, 08:48   #135
edbar1
L-plater

Are you just going to use stock motors until they blow or are you going to try to keep boost low still?
Old 13th May 2018, 11:41   #136
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbar1 View Post
Are you just going to use stock motors until they blow or are you going to try to keep boost low still?
No, the current engine is forged.
The original engine and turbo setup (low boost) was when I bought it a few years ago. The block was cracked and it was all a little tired. So build an engine up with new components (barring the head - which is still standard).
Old 13th May 2018, 18:18   #137
edbar1
L-plater

Great result, how’s traction now?
I’m boosting my C2 looking for similar results but don’t want loads of wheelspin all the time
Old 18th May 2018, 23:45   #138
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

The hump is just a wastegate response thing, the boost is marginally higher while the gate opens and regulation stabilises.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2018, 10:26   #139
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
The hump is just a wastegate response thing, the boost is marginally higher while the gate opens and regulation stabilises.
Ah cheers Wayne. For some reason, thought we took that out.

New issue: water temp. I'm getting good readings with the infrared sensor, thermo seems to be opening correctly. The dash gauge tells a different story. It takes an ice age to get off the bottom and even then, it never gets above 45 degrees, unless the car is sat idling. A gauge reading of 45 is actually a reading of 80 at the thermo housing. Suspect coolant temp sensor and will replace thermo just because.

If this water issue is related, I'm hitting boost cut when it is cold. Even when 45 degrees or so (the highest the gauge registers when in motion), it'll still hit it sometimes. I've turned the boost down, but it still does it. Will see what the new bits do.

New coil pack is on (most expensive thing ever). Hasn't made any odds to the issue above, but it's done.

Ordered some brakes (yaye - I won't die. As quick).

Last edited by sri_130; 20th May 2018 at 10:28.
Old 20th May 2018, 10:31   #140
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbar1 View Post
Great result, how’s traction now?
I’m boosting my C2 looking for similar results but don’t want loads of wheelspin all the time
Its good. I'm not at full boost just yet, due to other issues, but it's definitely more useable than I thought it would be.

I'll credit Wayne for that, for sure.