Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 28th February 2011, 08:59   #21
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
Do you use XP over 7?

I understand people using XP over vista when it first came out. But isnt there alot of issues with windows XP and running more then 4 gb of ram, and not many 64 bit drivers?

I can understand companies still running it as they may have software optimised for it, but surely 7 is a big improvement over xp for anyone else? Feel free to correct me.

Sounds like you may have not heard of something called XP Pro. 7 is no improvement, it just looks a bit more pretty. All the PCs I have tried with XP all run faster than anything I have seen with 7 on.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 13:50   #22
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Sounds like you may have not heard of something called XP Pro. 7 is no improvement, it just looks a bit more pretty. All the PCs I have tried with XP all run faster than anything I have seen with 7 on.
Dont patronise me just because i asked a simple question you idiot.

Yes I have heard of XP pro, i was just under the impression that no versions of XP supported more then 4gb of ram.

That time of the month?
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 17:18   #23
Pup

Pup is on a distinguished road

Quote:
7's a lot more optimised for processor arithmetic, but in benchmarking they both have pros and cons. Obviously XP lacks some of 7's features (some of which I'd actually prefer to be without to be honest) so it's mostly down to preference and whether that game you want to play is better with DX10 or not.

On software though, I'd pretty much anything that's open-source is awesome.
Pup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 19:29   #24
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Bound is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Do you use XP over 7?

I understand people using XP over vista when it first came out. But isnt there alot of issues with windows XP and running more then 4 gb of ram, and not many 64 bit drivers?

I can understand companies still running it as they may have software optimised for it, but surely 7 is a big improvement over xp for anyone else? Feel free to correct me.

Also pete ill send you something in PM about windows 7...
Well Vista got a bad press for a number of problems when it was first released.. and unfairly in some respects after people were reluctant to switch from XP which was a huge success (but which also had problems at launch hence the service packs and what not.. I never encountered them though because I didn't have XP for a year or so after release). However I will say Vista easily has the most problems between the 3 (XP, Vista and 7), out of all of the computers i have repaired they have overwhelmingly been running Vista, I'm not a professional or anything by any means but I have had a huge number of problems with Vista (mainly with family and friends and friends of friends laptops). As far as functionality.. Well XP can do most things 7 can but in 7 it's easier, I use XP personally that's because I am employing the "it ain't broke so don't fix it" tactic, which is a harsh lesson to learn . I would say 7 is very user friendly.. (I hate the UAC interference on both newer OS's though.. Maybe for kids or complete novices, but they really are a nuisance and have to be turned of for me), and if you have say 4 computers in a house all running 7 it should be pretty seamless as far as networking goes sharing files printers and what not. I think they've taken XP and just made it easier to use as XP is more basic and more susceptible to errors and crashes (because it allows the user (and is much more commonly found in XP users in my experience) to much functionality and customisation as well as deep operating system changes which they may not be competent in.
Old 1st March 2011, 19:48   #25
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
SNIP
Fair enough mate.

Glad you didnt get all angry over my question like the fool above haha.

I cant remember using XP so cant really remember what its like (havent used it for 3 or so years!).

UAC is very annoying i agree, so i have it turned off.

I have been fiddling with linux (ubuntu) for a few weeks now and have encountered more problems in the short weeks then i have in the rest of my computer using life with windows.

Still want to use it though just to learn the OS. (yes i am a geek).

Cheers again for the proper reply hah.
Old 1st March 2011, 20:35   #26
Peter_D
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): DC5 Teg
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Peter_D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
Well Vista got a bad press for a number of problems when it was first released.. and unfairly in some respects after people were reluctant to switch from XP which was a huge success (but which also had problems at launch hence the service packs and what not.. I never encountered them though because I didn't have XP for a year or so after release). However I will say Vista easily has the most problems between the 3 (XP, Vista and 7), out of all of the computers i have repaired they have overwhelmingly been running Vista, I'm not a professional or anything by any means but I have had a huge number of problems with Vista (mainly with family and friends and friends of friends laptops). As far as functionality.. Well XP can do most things 7 can but in 7 it's easier, I use XP personally that's because I am employing the "it ain't broke so don't fix it" tactic, which is a harsh lesson to learn . I would say 7 is very user friendly.. (I hate the UAC interference on both newer OS's though.. Maybe for kids or complete novices, but they really are a nuisance and have to be turned of for me), and if you have say 4 computers in a house all running 7 it should be pretty seamless as far as networking goes sharing files printers and what not. I think they've taken XP and just made it easier to use as XP is more basic and more susceptible to errors and crashes (because it allows the user (and is much more commonly found in XP users in my experience) to much functionality and customisation as well as deep operating system changes which they may not be competent in.
Unable....to...penetrate....inpenitratable....wall ....of....text..... .....Must....try....harder....narghh
Peter_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:24   #27
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Dont patronise me just because i asked a simple question you idiot.

Yes I have heard of XP pro, i was just under the impression that no versions of XP supported more then 4gb of ram.

That time of the month?
Windows server 2003, up to 32 Gb of RAM support. Now I am patronising you. Idiot.

Quote:
I have been fiddling with linux (ubuntu) for a few weeks now and have encountered more problems in the short weeks then i have in the rest of my computer using life with windows.
there is new stuff coming from Linux soon. Always handy to have on a boot CD in case your windows based system crashes or gets a virus.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:26   #28
ash_hart
Frequent Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 1.1 Look
ash_hart is on a distinguished road

If you ever need any help mate im a teccy at Overclockers UK overclockers.co.uk.
ash_hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:32   #29
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
Windows server 2003, up to 32 Gb of RAM support. Now I am patronising you. Idiot.

Its actually 64, nice try though.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:34   #30
Manu
Saxperience Addict

so you never heard and all of a sudden you've heard. Nice try.
Old 2nd March 2011, 09:48   #31
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Quote:
so you never heard and all of a sudden you've heard. Nice try.
LOL, ignoring the face you were completely wrong.

The reason i new the ram limit of server 2003 is because i have setup a WS 2003 sp2 server.

Now be quiet, and in the future if you want to try and school me atleast get your facts right.
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:35   #32
Manu
Saxperience Addict

cool story bro etc.

Say, what websites are you running on your server then.

Last edited by Manu; 2nd March 2011 at 12:12.
Old 2nd March 2011, 13:15   #33
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

Its not my server its a guy who i worked with last year.

Still this is the website he hosts on it: http://www.jethot.co.uk/

Although it looks like it has gone a bit tits up lately.