Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 27th July 2018, 06:06   #1
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road
Default Rear arch liners

Hello all,

New member here. Just picked up a lovely low low mileage 2003 desire yesterday for my son. I have a 306 dturbo so I am well aware that peugeot scrimped on rear arch liners, only fitting the drivers side. The saxo we bought does not have any read liners, only fronts. I have searched about and can't find any on ebay etc. Did the saxo ever come with rear arch liners? I would like to fit some if possible.

Thanks!
Craig
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2018, 17:51   #2
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

No need for a rear arch liner. They never rust, unless it's been driven in mud and snow etc and never washed.

Just clean up inside the arch with a hose regularly and it'll never rust.

There is a small liner at the back to prevent water getting into the boot, but that's it.

Chances are fitting a liner will cause more issues, because it'll start to rust around the holes you've drilled and it'll hold the damp in above the arch liner. (This is what happens on the front and causes the front wings to rot!)

So best to leave it the way it is
Old 28th July 2018, 18:21   #3
dturbo
Infrequent Poster

dturbo is on a distinguished road

Thanks, fair point. Guess I am just being paranoid due to the terrible results of having a missing rear arch on the 306 ph1 and ph2. It totally rots out the inner rear quarter on a 306, horrible.

If the saxo / 106 is not known for rotting this area out then we will just clean it, apply bilthamber wax and then keep it clean.

Thanks for the advice. Actually despite the car being such low miles and really clean, it does have a bizzare hole appearing in the inner wing just down from the engine bay fuse box. I will need to make a small weld patch in there. Must have been some crap sitting there for a while and started it rusting.

Cheers
Craig
dturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2018, 19:25   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

hahah I agree 306's get rotten up in there. Sometimes go unnoticed until the rear seats end up damp.

Yes they all get holes in there at the front wheel arch!

My diesel when I got it on 68k had a small hole there. easy enough to weld up though.

Honestly man, I wouldn't even wax up in there. just a fresh blast with clean water every time you wash it.

Abused 106/saxo I've seen rust up in there, it goes for the upper seatbelt mount - but only ever on lowered/slammed cars. The worst cars for rust are Silver and Diablo/wicked Red. No idea why, it just seems to be a thing!
Old 2nd August 2018, 12:22   #5
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

Seen once at a car dealer, a barryfied 106 with arches so rotten it had spread far, and the boot floor had holes on both sides.

Salesman told me it had a 12 month MOT on it
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2018, 18:40   #6
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
Seen once at a car dealer, a barryfied 106 with arches so rotten it had spread far, and the boot floor had holes on both sides.

Salesman told me it had a 12 month MOT on it
Well that comes under the abused category then lol

I've never seen a standard one rust like that.