Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 19th April 2008, 02:49   #1
bazzabong

bazzabong is on a distinguished road
Default Active sub and Amp

Right ok now i've sorted the amp and the component speakers out i've got another question...

My head unit only has 1 x RCA input which is going to my amp..

If i get an active sub which has a built in amp is it ok to then put it through the amp? Or do i need to get an RCA splitter and plug the sub directly into the RCA Splitter wich connects to the HU?

It's a 4 channel amp i've got.. so 2 x channels for front speakers and two spare for whatever

Last edited by bazzabong; 19th April 2008 at 03:56.
bazzabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 09:32   #2
Modified
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region Member

Car(s): Golf MK4 GTi 20v Turbo - BLAP BLAP
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Modified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud ofModified has much to be proud of

if the amp is already in ur boot, and ur puttin the active sub in there as well id say u could jus tap it from that as its a on/off switch wire really

but id wa\it for reply from coonper or pred in all fair ness!
Old 19th April 2008, 13:01   #3
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Lupo GTI
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Im not with you at all there mate...

If your HU has only one rca output, you can buy splitters that turn one into 2, so that will be okay. Not ideal, but it will do the job.

Are you trying to power your active sub off the 4 channel amp or something? Cus obviously you dont need to if its got its own built in amp. Or are you trying to power it from both amps so it gets more power?? If that is the case then i wouldnt bother.

To get power to 2 amps you will need...

A distrubution block which will have one input for the power cable and it will have 2 or more outputs.

You can just use the same remote lead. Just scotch lock into it to split it into 2.

Then you just earth it to the same place as the 4 channel
Coonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 13:35   #4
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

bit more info needed as coonper said, whats the spec of your 4 channel amp as passive subs work much better imo, actives suck

also you can buy these to hook up another set of RCA leads up to the headunit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hi-high-level-...QQcmdZViewItem

basically just wire into the speaker wires making another plug set

or your can link the amps together with an RCA lead with the AUX on the amp, thing is with this when you adjust the settings on the headunit it will adjust both the components and sub

Last edited by Predator_R32; 20th April 2008 at 22:04.
Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 13:42   #5
Coonper
Saxperience Post Whore
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Lupo GTI
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!Coonper is absolutely fabulous!

Yer, thats the downside of using the rca splitter things.

You cant adjust the 2 amps individually, which can be a pain at times, unless you have a bass controller for your amp.
Coonper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 20:34   #6
bazzabong

Cheers guys.. i'm gonna use the RCA to high level converter me thinks.

With regards to powering the sub and the remote lead.. can i just run the sub of the same bolt as i'm running the amp of.. the fusebox thing in the engine.. or do i need to connect it somewhere else??

Also the remote lead.. can 2 wires go into the head unit remote or do i remote it from the amp??

Cheers again,
Old 20th April 2008, 13:43   #7
Predator_R32p
Super Moderator
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1. AX 2. Mk2 Saxo VTR 3. MK4 R32 DBP
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!Predator_R32 is absolutely fabulous!

the power lead from the battery should at least be 4 gauge then it will go into a distribution block splitting it up into 2/3/4

as for the remote wire you can just splice into the remote going to the amp already there or link the amps together using a bit of 16 gauge wire

and yes running it from the fusebox should be ok, a lot of people say its not safe there but minesbeen there for agaes and ive never had a problem, i will eventually round to wiring it up to the battery terminal though but need an optima yellow top first

Predator_R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 19:31   #8
bazzabong

Sorted.. had googled it earlier and got myself upto halfruads and got a distribution block.

Also with the high level to RCA i've got that earthed with the HU earth just sliced into it and joined it there.. thats me all set up now thank fook!

Cheers guys