Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 10th November 2009, 18:45   #1
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold
Default Server ~ setting up...

Erm so basically im @ uni doing networking and lectuer had server to give away so took the oppurtunity.

Quite old Compaq 3 hard drives etc etc

Need to know to get these running just stick a screen in the VGA port and they should boot up or at least to a bios menu?

As mine you can hear boot but nothing displays on screen, can they be configured by pluging a computer/laptop in another way.....ideas
Old 11th November 2009, 23:11   #2
bushy90
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): R53 MCS
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
bushy90 is on a distinguished road

Usually helps if it has RAM!
bushy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 01:02   #3
P90PTS
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
P90PTS is on a distinguished road

It'll need RAM, a OS,

you'd be better off with an old PC and install Windowze server 2003/8 on it and the run a DHCP server so that your "clients" can log into it and you can set up their permissions from there
Old 12th November 2009, 14:11   #4
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum

baker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to beholdbaker556 is a splendid one to behold

Nah cba with the old pc thing ive gotta server so im gonna set it up

Im doing server admin next week anyways so should help alot, and matt we only figured it out last night it didnt have RAM i have now put RAM in their and it wont show anything still.....

I understand it needs an OS but im not asking that as i shall more than likely just get windows server from uni or boot up unix onto it i wouldnt be surprised if there was an OS already on their tbh.....Its not even currently displaying a bios or anything !

Quite annoying....
Old 12th November 2009, 14:26   #5
ukgaz
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VtR '52
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ukgaz is on a distinguished road

Flash the BIOS?
Old 12th November 2009, 15:00   #6
P90PTS
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
P90PTS is on a distinguished road

You'll need an OS inorder for the server to boot
Old 12th November 2009, 18:38   #7
Penn
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Cupped RS Clio 200
Penn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud ofPenn has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigval3 View Post
You'll need an OS inorder for the server to boot
It should still post though so he can get to the bios?
Old 12th November 2009, 18:41   #8
davidandrews5343
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): Subaru Impreza Newage WRX
davidandrews5343 will become famous soon enough

so do u want to keep it as a server or just a normall pc? what server os do u want to run, what type of server? media, file, mail etc. I set up server 2003 last year as a uni project, you can use any computer to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
It should still post though so he can get to the bios?
posting is the first step, any bios error code beeping?

Last edited by davidandrews5343; 12th November 2009 at 18:44.
davidandrews5343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2009, 22:51   #9
empty_inside

Car(s): '03 Saxo VTS
empty_inside is on a distinguished road

See if has a speaker attached (just one of the little internal ones inside the case somewhere) - it should be attached to the motherboard by a couple of wires. If it's got one of those, it'll beep when it's completed POST. If it doesn't beep you're missing something fundamental like RAM, graphics card, etc.

If it does beep you should at least get a picture on the screen and be able to get into the BIOS. From there you'll need to install an OS (assuming the hard drives have been wiped and it doesn't have one already). I strongly recommend linux over windows; it's a server, not a toy
empty_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2009, 20:52   #10
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum

Lolz im not a fool, i know about a post test, their isnt a speaker attached Ram is their can't see anything else missing.

Why set it up on a normal pc.....well ive been given a server and would like to configure it and then maybe use it for something else.

For it not too boot their must be something missing so shall take another look, its new a new server at all just something to play around with so windows or linux is fine.

I have downloaded linux but i also have the product key for windows server from uni.
Old 14th November 2009, 22:47   #11
Adam_Q
Saxperience Post Whore
Central South Region MemberSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Jap crap
iTrader Score: 21 (100%)
Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!Adam_Q is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker556 View Post
Nah cba with the old pc thing ive gotta server so im gonna set it up

Im doing server admin next week anyways so should help alot, and matt we only figured it out last night it didnt have RAM i have now put RAM in their and it wont show anything still.....

I understand it needs an OS but im not asking that as i shall more than likely just get windows server from uni or boot up unix onto it i wouldnt be surprised if there was an OS already on their tbh.....Its not even currently displaying a bios or anything !

Quite annoying....
If your pc didn't have any ram or fcuked ram it should beep a few times when you start the pc up. If this isn't happening and your monitor is defiantly plugged in correctly, then I suggest you check the graphics card.
Adam_Q is offline   Reply With Quote