Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 21st November 2009, 12:07   #21
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

Ahh I dunno! Cus I'm a student I could get the top of the range mbp 13 if I wanted for about 999. I'll have a read of that apple tax thing posted now.
Any programmers here using a mac? This is what I will promarly use it for so I will probably install unix on the comp.
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 12:21   #22
PSPDan
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
PSPDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennysevenfold View Post
Course i have.for the price you pay for a mac, you can get a far better spec windows pc.
It's not as easy as that though. I was reading an article in which the writers were given the task to configure a PC that ran as well as/better than an iMac, and the result was they ended up spending more than the iMac costs brand new. Sure it had more RAM and stuff but it just didn't run so smoothly. Although I'm sure Windows 7 has gone some way to rectifying this, Snow Leopard has just beaten it down again.

When you buy a PC you pretty much are paying for the specs. When you buy a Mac you are paying for the whole thing. They look great, are so much easier to set up and start using, there is no PC laptop that has a trackpad in the same league as the macbook, the screen resolutions on the macs are fantastic, sure you could get a 15-inch PC for less than a 13-inch mac but chances are they'll have the same resolution. The LED screens are something a lot of cheaper PC laptops don't have or if they do they are nowhere near as good.

I never use my mac for gaming (probably because this is the one area that PC shits all over it), it's solely used for designing things, editing photos/videos, viewing photos/videos, internet browsing etc.

But whilst I love macs I still wouldn't recommend one. It took me ages to be convinced to buy one and I'm glad I was. But I feel that if you just bought one on some forumers' advice you could end up being disappointed. You need to know exactly what it will be used for really. I'd say get a Sony Vaio laptop. Those things a fooking sexy.
PSPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 12:31   #23
Gary-VTR
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): EG Civic Turbo & CRX Del Sol VTi
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gary-VTR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
Ahh I dunno! Cus I'm a student I could get the top of the range mbp 13 if I wanted for about 999. I'll have a read of that apple tax thing posted now.
Any programmers here using a mac? This is what I will promarly use it for so I will probably install unix on the comp.
Craddock does; although he's not primarily a programmer.

Most programmers I know use Windows/'Nix. Because it's much easier to setup a test environment on, as well as the other benefits.

With programming, the only real benefit Mac has over other OSs, is Coda.
Which, in my eyes, doesn't justify spending twice as much on hardware to run it.

Those questioning the stability of Windows, get 7. All major tech blogs/sites agree it matches or surpasses the quality of Snow Leopard.
Gary-VTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 12:49   #24
PSPDan
Saxperience Post Whore
South West Region Member

iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
PSPDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
I personally haven't ever done programming so couldn't say. But, programming is for nerds, macs are not. So get a PC.

JOKEZZ XX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary-VTR View Post
Those questioning the stability of Windows, get 7. All major tech blogs/sites agree it matches or surpasses the quality of Snow Leopard.
Windows 7 is a brilliant OS (about time) as is Snow Leopard. It depends what you need it for I guess? They all seem to agree Snow Leopard is better designed. I can also run Windows 7 on my MacBook without problems in the same way you could run Snow Leopard pretty much flawlessly on a PC. I find the whole Apple experience better than the Microsoft one but tbh there's not much advantage to either at the moment.
PSPDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2009, 13:32   #25
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
haz_pro is on a distinguished road

im no nerd!

and yeah ill have a look at sony laptops, i do prefer the sony range of products as a whole.

just dont particularly like vista or windows 7, maybe ill back to xp :-\
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2009, 22:24   #26
miken2k8
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): Saxo 1.1i desire 2003
miken2k8 is on a distinguished road

Custom built desktop all the way can build a decent one for around 300 quid
miken2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote