Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > General Forums > General Chat...

General Chat... This forum is for general chit-chat, banter, exchange of information, etc. Pretty much everything goes... within reason!

Old 9th December 2018, 12:25   #1
Rob500

Rob500 is on a distinguished road
Default SPI conversion

Hi - I’m new here and not a Saxo owner but I am a TU engine user !

I have a mint low miles 205 Peugeot on a tu9 (Carb) I am about to attempt a SPI single point conversion as I am looking for reliability and driveability . It’s a mint 950 cc TU9 which I understand was the same as the Saxo 1.0 . Does anyone have any experience advice or parts list conversion for an SPI. I am sick of the Solex carb and it’s choke starting/ cold rev issues. Power is not an issue here - it’s only got 45bhp and it’s so rare I am keen to keep it as a 950 4 speed. Just looking for parts / availability and what’s needed. Advice welcomed , “rip it out” is not what I am after. Thanks folks
Rob500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2018, 20:20   #2
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

To be honest, drivability was never a strong point on the single point engines, that's one of the reasons they didn't run them for long.
Is there not an MPI manifold that will fit your engine, maybe from a 1.1 or something?
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2018, 12:35   #3
9Freedman9
Established Member
South East Region Member

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
9Freedman9 is on a distinguished road

Why not just put a VTR engine in? You will probably find more of these available at a better price anyway, they cost bugger all to run and will give you that bit of extra power just so you don't find yourself in trouble on a motorway etc.
9Freedman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2018, 00:01   #4
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
welshpug is on a distinguished road

tte mpi heads are different, spi ia basically a glorified carb with a single injector in it instead if needles and floats etx.

thw carb car wont have a pump in the tank, so an injection tank will be required, or an inline external pump.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 12:53   #5
Stissy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Nikes
Stissy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Freedman9 View Post
Why not just put a VTR engine in? You will probably find more of these available at a better price anyway, they cost bugger all to run and will give you that bit of extra power just so you don't find yourself in trouble on a motorway etc.
+1 on this. VTRs are 10 a penny at the moment too, so it shouldn't be hard finding one in good condition with decent history.
Stissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2018, 15:05   #6
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

Insurance though would probs be high.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2018, 12:50   #7
DAN_ADRIANFLUX
L-plater

DAN_ADRIANFLUX is infamous around these parts

Hi.
If you found you had any issues with insurance at all for this type of conversion then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN_ADRIANFLUX is offline   Reply With Quote