Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 8th July 2014, 00:00   #41
Jigs2895
Established Member
Central South Region Member

Car(s): 1997 Mk1 VTS
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Jigs2895 is on a distinguished road

Looking good mate. My rust was in exactly the same spots on my wings as yours, on the weld lip and around the plastic screw. Sanded it down and put some rust treatment and fresh paint on mine, it's still coming back though.
Jigs2895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 14:40   #42
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Car(s): 2 16'v Saxo vtr's
Jack_Norris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickle View Post
i'd clean it up asap though. it'll not take long as you can see it's starting already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigs2895 View Post
Looking good mate. My rust was in exactly the same spots on my wings as yours, on the weld lip and around the plastic screw. Sanded it down and put some rust treatment and fresh paint on mine, it's still coming back though.
Thanks lads I plan to sort the wings out next week want to make sure I have enough time to do it properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastysombrero31 View Post
Where'd you get the lightweight doorcards from? Or are they self made? Car looks good
No I bought them from someone on here. You can buy them brand new for £40 I think if you google lightweight door cards you'll find the website.
Jack_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 15:29   #43
manta
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): '85 Opel Manta '88 Manta GT/E '87 Rayleigh Roadi
manta is on a distinguished road

Anyone with hella basic fab skills can sort that arch rust out for you.

So easy compared to the shit I have weld.
manta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 00:09   #44
jamie106VTS
L-plater
Central Counties Region Member

Car(s): Blue furio 2000
jamie106VTS is on a distinguished road

Both cars are stunning pal, real rare these days to get a low milage vtr too!
jamie106VTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2014, 18:30   #45
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Updates: Trax prep

The black vtr/s is currently sorn as it couldn't be used on the road the way it was running so theres no point wasting road tax. On the engine we have changed the following. . .
Fuel filter, lambda sensor, fitted a new exhaust system, fitted original air box, cleaned the throttle body and all the attached sensors, fitted fresh seal on the throttle body and the inlet manifold.

It idles much smoother now but we're yet to find out if the juddering in low revs has stopped. After that the plan it to out it on a dyno to get a idea on the power it has.

pic of how it currently looks

In the mean time we've been tidying up the front end as it was letting the car down. Replaced the front bumper with a fresh new one and badge less grill also.

before

after

Now that the widemouth is going free I'm going to put it on my silver vtr. Currently needs a bit of freshening up but should look great when fitted.

If you've seen some of my other threads you know I'm dealing with some rust at the moment on the silver vtr. I've sorted the sunroof and I've started to work on the boot floor. We first had the strip the rear, began with removing the carpet, the carpet thats glued to the sides and rear seats.

Then we got the heat gun out to take some stuck on padding/ whatever it is. The rear door cards and the back seat belts.

The left hand side is the worst but very much fixable. No holes at all which is nice so just needs sanding back and re painting.

right hand side

Was considering pulling the sound proofing out but not sure how loud it is without it. Going to be using the car as a road car mainly so I think I'll just keep it in.

As you can see I've got a fair amount to do before Trax but there is a lot of time till then. My plan is to do the following

-Sort the rust on the boot and inner wings. Re paint then in the original quartz.
-Refurb the carbon widemouth and fit it.
-Buy and fit a spare wheel harness.
-Buy and fit a drivers side 4 point harness. Possibly a passengers too.
-Buy a new steering wheel. Got my mind set on a OMP mugello. Its a bit different whats people opinion on one?
Old 27th July 2014, 21:13   #46
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Starting on the rusty boot.

Began to bring the boot floor back to the bare metal so got the angle grinder out and got to work.

This is the worst part of the boot floor. Fortunately its not soft and was very much restorable.

Found a rather large panel gap after I took off the old sealant. Will have to re seal it with fresh sealant once I've painted it all.

Starting to work my way across sanding down the bubbling patches as there was a few patches on the right hand side too.

Once it was all done I put on rust eater until the patches were all gone.

And lastly painted it all in zinc primer. Leaving it to dry over night before adding more primer and lastly paint.

Don't think i've done too bad a job obviously it isn't to a professional standard but shouldn't see some rust and the boot floor be a smooth enough finish.
Old 28th July 2014, 09:45   #47
wizardmanjm
L-plater

Car(s): saxo 1.1 desire golf mk4 gti
wizardmanjm is on a distinguished road

nice car mate looks lovely, i see you tried the modern lines on it, those are my favourite schmidts haha im a secret vdub fan and always toyed with the idea of them on a sax!

good work in the boot too
wizardmanjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2014, 22:26   #48
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardmanjm View Post
nice car mate looks lovely, i see you tried the modern lines on it, those are my favourite schmidts haha im a secret vdub fan and always toyed with the idea of them on a sax!

good work in the boot too
Thanks mate.

Always been a fan of those modern lines.

Didn't think they suited the car at that ride height and the other one is getting raised so they got sold.
Old 5th August 2014, 23:00   #49
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

UPDATES; Boot painted, widemouth fitted, cleaning and more plans.

So after we ground it back to the bare metal and applied the rust eater we started with a zinc primer to help seal it nicely and prevent the rust coming back.

We then had to wait for some parts to arrive. Replacement rubber seals for the boot floor and the quartz paint so I started on the widemouth.

The carbon fibre was pretty worn out so we sanded it down with 400 and 2000 wet and dry paper to remove the white marks and respray it with clear lacquer.
Before:

After:

Then we set about getting the bumper off and cutting the grill out for the widemouth. Have to excuse the oil marks that was from the black vtr/s a few weeks back

Started with a hack saw and then got the angle grinder out to speed the process as it was trial and error getting it to fit nicely.

And after a while making sure it fitted nicely it was finally in. Picture isn't the best will get some better ones after I've given the car a good wash.

Also while I was waiting I decided to give the kam racing back box I had lying around a good clean and a polish.
Decided that I wanted to fit this to my vtr but I may need a new centre pipe or a adapter to fit it as I'm unsure whether it will fit properly to the magnex centre pipe I currently have on it.

A few days later my paint and grommets arrived so I got back to painting the boot. Needs a bit of a polish to make it shinier but overall I'm pretty pleased with it and I shouldn't see rust there again.

Leaving the rear door cards out for now as I'm going to make some out of perspex and wrap black to match my fronts.

Got a new boot seal thanks to Mickswan, much better than my original one it actually attaches to the metal lip instead of falling off all the time. Also fitted my back seats in again.

Also gave my headliner a good clean and re-fitted it to tidy up the interior a bit. Didn't bother fitting the abc pillars I think they look horrible but may go for some flocked ones and some point.

In other news I have just won a BMC CDA that I'm going to link up to the inner morette bulb. Also ordered a air inlet trumpet to go where the light should be and link it all together via silicone hoses.

Also going to sort out some sort of strap to tie my spare wheel down in the boot. Unsure on where the bolts should go as I don't want to pierce the fuel tank so if anyone could help on where they have mounted theres that would be great.

Also booked my trax tickets all 3 saxo's shall be going so should be a good day.

Comments/ opinions welcome
Old 8th August 2014, 21:06   #50
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Back from the garage.

Took the black vtr/s to a garage of a friend so we could get it up in the air properly and check for rust.

The good news is that theres no rust at all. The underseal job isn't pretty but it has done the job. No play in the wheels either so thats another part that won't need fixing.

Main problems we found now are that it needs new seals on the inlet manifold where it meets the engine block. Not too big a deal and should mean there are no air leaks so it should run a lot smoother without cutting out.

Sump is also leaking. So it needs re-doing with a fresh gasket.

Plan is to sort these out over the next few weeks and start with the cosmetic issues.

With the silver vtr

started with the twin fan build. Had a single fan in the casing already so had to get another set. Thanks to Shellz.
Started by figuring out what we was going to do with the wires as they differed on each set. Probably down to different models one being from a 106 and one a saxo.

Fitted the saxo motor to the 106 casing as it was in better condition. Tested the motors with a battery and they all worked so got on with fitting them to the car.

we kept all the wires that were already on the vtr. Then we connected the positive and negative wires from the fans to the current wires on the car.
Went for a short drive to get it up to temperature and voilà

Will take the fans off and paint them in meteor grey to match my wheels but other than thats it's all good.

The BMC CDA arrived also today needs a good clean but can't complain with the price I paid. Only issue is that's it rather large so I may have to rethink the hoses to the morette feed.
Old 27th August 2014, 17:50   #51
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Finally got round to fitting my kam racing backbox. it didn't fit on any of the systems I had on the cars so had to buy a new system. Bought a supersprint cat back system from saxojamie and a new cat to fit.

Out with the old magnex system

comparison. Didn't realise how heavy the magnex was.

And all fitted

Not sure if it's sitting perfectly yet will have to look through some threads to see how they sit. Only mounted with a standard rubber and a powerflex mount at the moment so may need some fresh mounts.

And a picture of the front end after fitting the trumpet for the air feed. Just need so order some silicone hoses.
Old 4th September 2014, 19:49   #52
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Pre Trax updates.

So we decided not to take the black 16v'd vtr as we uncovered a few more problems that are yet to be resolved. It may be the head gasket which isn't the end of the world as it is fixable.
The plan is to get it sorted in time for the pfc show in October.

Back to better news had a few packages arrive over the week for my silver vtr.

First up was a TRS spare wheel strap. Thought it made the boot look a bit tidier and also safer as the wheel does slide about when I drive around.
The more eagle eyed viewer may notice my new addition to the interior.

Decided to for the OMP mugello steering wheel. Was looking at various wheels but went for this one. I liked it and its a bit different to the norm.

Also modified my grill to remove the slats and replaced it with a mesh. Finally got round to finishing it looks much better over standard imo.

And lastly my silicone hoses arrived from Auto Silicone Hoses. They look to be a good quality and are a good price.
The idea is to link the bmc to the morette feed but came into a small problem with size. The power steering was in the way. So we had to trim down the bracket so the flexi pipe could fit properly.

Heres the BMC all piped together with the breather filter fitted.

Decided the breather looked a bit silly so I trimmed down the hose to tidy it up. Heres it all finished personally I think it looks sweet, Strut brace does need painting plan is to get it powder coated silver at some point.

And thats it bar a good clean before Trax.

Comments/ opinions welcome
Old 4th September 2014, 20:05   #53
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Thought I would do a spec list as quite a bit has changed over the years.

Engine:
Silver top 8v on 56,000
Toyosport 4-2-1 mani
Supersprint cat back centre pipe
Kam racing backbox
BMC CDA enclosed induction linked to morette air feed

Suspension/ brakes:
Apex front shocks with 35mm springs
Rear beam lowered 40mm by Kris B, standard shocks
OMP upper and lower strut brace
Lucas 266mm brake setup
Exact brake lines
195/45/15 Toyo T1-r tyres

Interior:
Saxo seats re-trimmed in leather
Flocked dashboard and gearstick surround
Richbrook gear knob
OMP Mugello steering wheel and boss
Blue rallye carpet
Blue seat belts
TRS spare wheel strap
Light weight door cards

Exterior:
205 gti speedline alloys
Carbon wide mouth
Twin fans
De slatted grill
Morettes
Smoked rear jewels
106 wing mirrors

Future plans:
Fit gaz coilovers on the front from the black saxo.
Replace rear dampers, most likely Gaz
Fresh discs and pads all round.
Old 4th September 2014, 20:56   #54
Jigs2895
Established Member

Good work on this, come a long way since I saw it at FCS.

Will be good to see the 16v in sometime soon, what were the other issues you found with the S engine?
Old 4th September 2014, 21:58   #55
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Good work on this, come a long way since I saw it at FCS.

Will be good to see the 16v in sometime soon, what were the other issues you found with the S engine?
Thanks mate yeah it's getting there slowly ticking off parts to the ever growing list.

Going to 16v my vtr at some point will most likely have to wait a year to finish uni and hopefully start on it next summer.

As to the black 16v'd vtr not really sure lol. Got it running pretty smooth a few weeks back bar some juddering in low revs but now it misfires like crazy and barely runs. I'm not that mechanically savvy yet so my dad's been looking into it to find a problem. Might be head gasket, coil pack or something else completely.
Old 4th September 2014, 22:03   #56
Jigs2895
Established Member

Head gasket wouldn't cause it to run like that, have you checked the colour of the coolant and checked for any head gasket leaks?

It will turn out to be something simple, check for any air leaks or blockages as they can make them idle like shit. Either way, a head rebuild is straight forward and will give you piece of mind of a new head gasket and cambelt etc.. before you 16v your R.
Old 6th September 2014, 21:06   #57
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Head gasket wouldn't cause it to run like that, have you checked the colour of the coolant and checked for any head gasket leaks?

It will turn out to be something simple, check for any air leaks or blockages as they can make them idle like shit. Either way, a head rebuild is straight forward and will give you piece of mind of a new head gasket and cambelt etc.. before you 16v your R.
No haven't checked it for leaks yet. We thought it was head gasket related because they was fluid in the spark plugs.

Hopefully it is something simple changed enough things on it already.
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:59   #58
SimpleJoee
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTS, FF BG 182
SimpleJoee is on a distinguished road

Any updates on this mate, progress was awesome when you kept updating
SimpleJoee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 17:33   #59
Jack_Norris
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleJoee View Post
Any updates on this mate, progress was awesome when you kept updating
Hadn't seen this post didn't realise anyone was interested

Haven't had much progress being away at uni I don't have much time or space to do anything.

With the silver vtr I've bought some body panels of jigs old car to replace mine as they pretty battered. Got a set of carbon 106 mirrors and a badgeless grill off dolby's old car that need fitting. Fitted some flocked pillars and mirror adjusters to match my dash. Just waiting till the summer now for some bigger upgrades plan on doing at least one track day.

Black 16v'd vtr still isn't 100% yet just haven't had time to do anything being at uni and it sitting at home. Pretty sure its the coilpack that needs replacing hopefully I can get it sorted when I've got a break later in the month.
Picked up a red rallye carpet off dolby and set of vts alloys with practically new T1-r's off Jimmy boy.

Hopefully we can get it running properly in time for French car show plan on taking the whole saxo crew
Old 7th March 2015, 21:16   #60
Dilkesy
Regular Poster

Car(s): Posi Blue 1.4 Furio
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Dilkesy is on a distinguished road

nice thread man, like to see someone else who isn't too mechanically savvy still doing great progress.