Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 23rd July 2020, 12:06   #1
sri_130
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
sri_130 is on a distinguished road
Default 16v Crank Pulley

I used to rock an OEM style pulley. The one with the rubberised goo that connects the actually pulley to the inner bit that bolts to the crank.

Somewhere along the line, I switched to a solid pulley. Some billet thing, but I can't think why I did that.

The rubbery bit must be some sort of harmonic balancer? so would be of more benefit than a solid one?
My crank has had to be ground and the journals were scarred after only 200 miles on a turbo build. Wondered if this pulley might have contributed to that. It was all shiny and new before.
sri_130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2020, 13:52   #2
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

they are a harmonic balancer of sorts however they will have little effect on a small petrol engine really, certainly wouldn't cause any bottom end issues on a TU from beign a solid lighter weight item.

where this can cause issue is on the more modern powerful Electronically controlled diesel engines as the power events are rather more violent in them than a small petrol engine, especially at peak torque, hence the use of dual mass flywheels as well to damp up the whole assembly, its well known for gearboxes to not last very long in some applications when a solid flywheel is used.

your bearing issues will have been caused by oil supply issues, be it low oil or oil surge, or cooked oil.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2020, 20:15   #3
Chipwizards
Frequent Poster

Chipwizards is on a distinguished road

It absolutely is a harmonic balancer, but it's main contribution to engine longevity is to reduce the impacts of torsional forces on the oil pump and chain. I have seen several high-revving engines with alloy pulleys break up the gears in the oil pump; TUs, XU10s and supercharged minis too.

If you've had bearing problems there's some other reason for it, but I'd recommend keeping the HB unless you are going dry sump with a belt drive.
Chipwizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2020, 11:17   #4
Gabbastard
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!Gabbastard is a great team player!

Id always assumed it was to damp the effect of the a/c unit kicking in and that was perhaps why the other engines had solid pulleys.
Gabbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2020, 09:26   #5
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

I suspect it was to quieten the inherent knock from the engines at idle
but yes that is not your problem
Old 29th March 2022, 00:02   #6
smokeyshiva

Car(s): Saxo VTS Mk2 Two-Tone
smokeyshiva is on a distinguished road

Do you have any photos?

There were two types of crank pulleys/oil pump sprockets I found when rebuilding one of my engines. One that had a separate sprocket/spacer and one that was one-piece.

The crank pulley they slid onto the other half of the woodruff key on the crank.

I never saw a bit of rubber goo as you're mentioning - care to explain more?
smokeyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 00:04   #7
smokeyshiva

Car(s): Saxo VTS Mk2 Two-Tone
smokeyshiva is on a distinguished road

do you mean the aux belt pulley? if so the billet ones i've used have never had a rubber seal/gooey bit on them.. Pug1Off.. Spoox etc
smokeyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2022, 09:34   #8
VeiRoN
Established Member
South East Region Member

Car(s): Saxò VTS 16v
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
VeiRoN is on a distinguished road

Yes the crankshaft pulley,I have the solid aluminium one and now strongly considering going back to the OEM one after reading Chipwizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipwizards View Post
It absolutely is a harmonic balancer, but it's main contribution to engine longevity is to reduce the impacts of torsional forces on the oil pump and chain. I have seen several high-revving engines with alloy pulleys break up the gears in the oil pump; TUs, XU10s and supercharged minis too.

If you've had bearing problems there's some other reason for it, but I'd recommend keeping the HB unless you are going dry sump with a belt drive.
Are you talking about engines that make peak power above 8k?

Last edited by VeiRoN; 29th March 2022 at 09:55.
VeiRoN is offline   Reply With Quote