Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports

Your Saxo Photos / Videos / Progress Reports Please share photos/videos of your saxo in this forum.

Old 14th October 2009, 14:52   #1941
pjm300
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): T/B'd VTS
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!pjm300 is a great team player!

i'd ask to see what they machine before they put it together. if its different to what they did last time (and it will be otherwise there'll be valve clash again), then ask them why they didnt do that previously.
pjm300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:56   #1942
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): French tin can
Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Bics, you crack me up man. You wanna be my PI?

Paul! No comment...

Thanks Mr Quick Pug. I'm trying... But they've had the car for a month now.

Alex, I don't know enough about pistons, but it's not the actual pistons which are being machined, it's the rod bolts I think. Something to do with the height of the pistons? I can't remember when Matt told me, but he told me as soon as he ordered them from Germany that they will need adjusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax-oli View Post
and that his dealings even stretch as far as Brazil!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
All we know is that he's called the Toad!
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 18:04   #1943
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo vtr mk 2
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Olly is on a distinguished road

Dave, make sure this time you speak to him about the consequences if this engine fail's this time. Say, youve been pretty fair about the first incident, and if it doesnt work out this time, im not paying any more, And want compensation for the loss of use of the car.... Say your paying for a taxi... etc everyday. Planning dude

Last edited by Olly; 14th October 2009 at 18:07.
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 20:22   #1944
Bickerton
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 gti
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Bickerton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Bics, you crack me up man. You wanna be my PI?
I am a bit of a paranoid cynic aint i
Old 15th October 2009, 08:05   #1945
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!Toad is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Dave, make sure this time you speak to him about the consequences if this engine fail's this time. Say, youve been pretty fair about the first incident, and if it doesnt work out this time, im not paying any more, And want compensation for the loss of use of the car.... Say your paying for a taxi... etc everyday. Planning dude
Don't you worry. It's all their work, so their problem. I'm still going to be challenging some stuff come bill time...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 08:06   #1946
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickerton View Post
I am a bit of a paranoid cynic aint i
Only the paranoid survive...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 11:20   #1947
Quik_Pug
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Quik_Pug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Thanks Mr Quick Pug. I'm trying... But they've had the car for a month now.
Its Tom mate. Like i said hopefully it will be sorted soon - i can imagine your very frustrated right now
Quik_Pug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:22   #1948
Lewisimo
Frequent Poster

iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Lewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud ofLewisimo has much to be proud of

Unfortunately Matt's a big skin head so you can't even threaten him lol! I am of course joking, i'm sure he'll be reasonable when it comes to paying for it all. You don't want to listen to everyone on here mate, it'll just worry you senseless, just wait until you get it back then make your decisions. No engine build goes 100% to plan, it's just the way it is. Hell my engine may even blow up when I eventually start it (I sincerely hope not though lol!) Bob who is wiring my car has said that Northampton Motorsport are prety good, and him, Bic and those guys don't recommend idiots at all, I would trust their advice so i'm sure they'll do a fine job of it. Shit happens, lets just hope it goes well next time round!! Just don't fucking worry about it too much man, I know it's not easy as i'm the same, but just wait to see how it goes once it's done

My final word on this whole debacle though is that I think Sandy Brown is the only guy I would trust 100% without any qualms to do any future work on my engine.....

200Bhp Rallye Blog: http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=250703
Lewisimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:39   #1949
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

I'm a skinhead too. I could take him...

I'm not going to go marching in there, saying I'm no paying for any additional work. I'm going to be very reasonable, and hope he remains the same. My main argument will be with regard to the money quoted for Pug1Off to check over, take apart and put the bottom end back together, as this was to make sure there wouldn't be any issues with it. I was asked if I wanted them to just bolt it on and hope for the best, but Matt strongly advised against this. From the way I saw it, this was my own personal insurance with them. Now, it becomes debateable after something did go wrong. Had I not taken Matt up on the offer for the check-over, I could have been left up shit creek without a paddle, i.e., no offer of them to put another engine together for me. I think he's gone for the option of hoping I'm not going to be a difficult customer, and by offering me his services free of charge for all the re-build work, I would take him up on it. I'm willing, and have been obviously, to accept that building engines to this specification is not an exact science. Things do go wrong, and bill soar. Obviously I've been extremely unlucky, to the highest degree in all fairness. Having accepted the reality of what's happened, and not kicking up a big fuss, I'm hoping we can talk sense and come to a fair conclusion. I don't want this to end up in court, it's just way too much hassle for me.

From a technical point of view, does anyone know exactly how the valves could have made contact with the bottom edges of the pockets? Is it purely that the pistons did not have the pockets in the required position? When I got the bottom end off the previous owner, I could see that his valves (bigger than mine) had made contact with the actual pistons, (just barely) but they were bang in the middle of the pockets. I haven't got a clear explanation on this from Matt, and it could be crucial to working out who's really responsible for the damage.

Cheers.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 15:45   #1950
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Picture for reference:

Arrows point to where the exhaust valves were catching on the pockets.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 15:46   #1951
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

sir toad can be angry if need's be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 15:47   #1952
Bickerton
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): 106 gti
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Bickerton is on a distinguished road

looks pissed in another way tbh
Old 15th October 2009, 15:49   #1953
Ashleyp
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!Ashleyp is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bickerton View Post
looks pissed in another way tbh
haha, the joys of a witty bickerton
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee_saxo View Post
some lad pulled up a type R, and had a sticker on the back. If it ain't jap it's crap. I thought what a bender
Ashleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 17:51   #1954
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum

Heres a pic of my wossners for reference,

Yours

Note, The pictures are different way around, Which i didnt realise for a moment there!

Do you have a picture of the bottom end @ TDC?

Last edited by Olly; 15th October 2009 at 17:55.
Olly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 18:01   #1955
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

The pictures at the start of this thread help ?

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=211149

From looking at it, the 'custom JE' pistons just look completely wrong with regards to valve cut-out sizes when compared with the above wossners, and the desired compression ratio with the pistons (the peak in the middle looks huge!!!)

I can imagine maybe your exhaust valves were marginally larger than was on the QEP head previously fitted to the bottom end?

Last edited by raunchz; 15th October 2009 at 18:11.
raunchz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 18:18   #1956
Olly
Saxperience Forum Bum

Pug 1 off machined the pistons after that for sale thread pic, Dont think toads valves were bigger than adams.
They took a hell of a lot off, If they didnt re-machine the valve cutouts then removing material from the top of the piston would have reduced the cutout size.
Old 15th October 2009, 18:42   #1957
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

My valves would not be bigger than Adam's...

You can see that the problem is the alignment of the valves, not their size. They were coming in too close to the bottom of the pockets. There was no contact with the actual flat part / bottom of the pocket, it was the pocket walls which were being hit. The area which was machined was the centre dome of the pistons. This is not where the contact was made.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 18:48   #1958
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

The valve cut-outs in the wossner pistons look tapered on the exhaust side? Whereas the JE ones aren't?

So the actual valve cut-outs in the JE's are the same as the wossners? but the wossners have a taper on the back face of the cut-out to help minimise contact when running long duration cams?

Just thinking outloud - I'm not an engine geek
Old 15th October 2009, 19:07   #1959
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
The valve cut-outs in the wossner pistons look tapered on the exhaust side? Whereas the JE ones aren't?

So the actual valve cut-outs in the JE's are the same as the wossners? but the wossners have a taper on the back face of the cut-out to help minimise contact when running long duration cams?

Just thinking outloud - I'm not an engine geek
Maybe, but the valves really shouldn't be that close...
Quote:
Quote:
Old 15th October 2009, 19:10   #1960
Toad
Saxperience Post Whore

Didn't realise Oli posted a pic!

Yeah, the pockets are lower down on the exhaust side. That's it then! Pug1Off simply didn't know the pockets were located more centrally, nearer the dome. I guess a dry build was too labour intensive...
Quote:
Quote: