Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep' > Track Chat
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track Chat This forum is for general chat related to track / motorsport, including photos of builds, etc. Please keep the main forum section based upon technical discussion.

Old 18th September 2011, 21:54   #1
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough
Default FWD v RWD

Instead of clogging up the 'stripped interior' thread, let's continue the discussion in this thread.
I know it's an age old arguement, with no 'official' outcome, but, healthy discussion, and all that...

OK, i'll start with the post that I was composing in the interior thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzink View Post
I fully accept RWD is quicker but comment I made was in wet with average person driving they are slower due to ability, which is true, that's all! I u disagree I don't care and cannot be bothered to continue thus petty argument as I have a life!
You kinda contradict that in your previous post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzink View Post
Takes far more skill to drive a rear wheel drive car in the rain especially if it's mid engined!

Even classifying it as the 'average person' doesn't mean a FWD will be faster in the wet than a RWD. Since there's that many varying skill levels, even in the wet, there's no reason why a RWD will necessarily be slower than a FWD. Sure the RWD will take more skill to drive faster in the wet, but it also take more skill to drive faster in the dry, too.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 22:05   #2
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

My uneducated opinion is that RWD is the better car as you have more control over under and oversteer. But it dosent mean it faster imo.

My uneducated means of proof is the BTCC, RWD BMW and Audi with all the FWD cars.
Old 18th September 2011, 22:45   #3
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

I had a massive spiel about another test the glossy magazines did recently involving the latest RS Megane but i saw db_sax's post and i think he kinda summed it up really.

I still believe given a certain power level FWD is best and above that RWD is best.

BUT saying that a while ago Honda's engineers said that 170bhp was the ABSOLUTE limit for FWD and now we have FWD cars with almost double that sort of power quite happily pissing all over the RWD cars.

The hot Megane's for example the R26R was faster than the old M3 round the Nurburgring and that had how much power?
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 22:48   #4
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

Good call on the thread.
In BTCC and most other race series all the cars are balanced to make itr nice and close and fair. Either with ballast or technical regulations. I think the balance is fairer this year in btcc.
With wet and dry. I think the main point is that the skill gap is bigger with rwd.
When it gets wet in fwd you have to be x better. When it gets wet in a rwd car you have to be x+1 better
Old 18th September 2011, 22:49   #5
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post

The hot Megane's for example the R26R was faster than the old M3 round the Nurburgring and that had how much power?

And how heavy was the m3 compared. a missing factor
Old 18th September 2011, 22:54   #6
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamskiTNR View Post
Good call on the thread.
In BTCC and most other race series all the cars are balanced to make itr nice and close and fair. Either with ballast or technical regulations. I think the balance is fairer this year in btcc.
With wet and dry. I think the main point is that the skill gap is bigger with rwd.
When it gets wet in fwd you have to be x better. When it gets wet in a rwd car you have to be x+1 better
I can confirm the last sentence, which is why I came back to FWD

So take how balanced the car is out of this and the technical regs. (obviously not make the car less balanced btw)

but same power, same weight, same engine. The cars would make the same laptimes?

I would stick with what I said about the ability to handle the car is better on rwd, but whether it would be quicker?
Old 18th September 2011, 23:08   #7
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
And how heavy was the m3 compared. a missing factor
True...but if RWD is soooo much better.....

I think FWD is a lot easier to drive definately.

I also have found it better round corners as the last cheeky race i had with an M3 towards the end of a corner his car was starting to drift a touch. My car wasn't spinning a wheel and was happily on his ass.Yes he had more weight but he also had a lot wider tyres etc etc

Thats just an experience and an opinion no-one can say for sure which is better. Hell in 5 years we will probably have 500bhp FWD cars outperforming the RWD/

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 18th September 2011 at 23:12.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:08   #8
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

No. There are too many variables with the btcc to say they would lap the same. Driver abilities, familiarities, track suitability, chassis geometry. and things like the chassis characteristics can't be said to be good or bad, as some drivers will find them good and some will find them bad.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:15   #9
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

In BTCC the RWD are quicker off the line. The FWD cars tyres warm up quicker.

Once the advantages have been played out i think they small differences between the cars/drivers takes over not whether they are rwd or fwd

I bet the M3 owners club would love this thread hahaha or any Jap car owners lol
Old 18th September 2011, 23:17   #10
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Of course. As all the cars are completely different and the drivers, ballast, technical balancing. it would be impossible to pin the difference on just the drive type
Old 18th September 2011, 23:19   #11
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
True...but if RWD is soooo much better.....

I think FWD is a lot easier to drive definately.

I also have found it better round corners as the last cheeky race i had with an M3 towards the end of a corner his car was starting to drift a touch. My car wasn't spinning a wheel and was happily on his ass.Yes he had more weight but he also had a lot wider tyres etc etc

Thats just an experience and an opinion no-one can say for sure which is better. Hell in 5 years we will probably have 500bhp FWD cars outperforming the RWD/
You can make a RWD car drift at 20mph
Old 18th September 2011, 23:20   #12
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
No. There are too many variables with the btcc to say they would lap the same. Driver abilities, familiarities, track suitability, chassis geometry. and things like the chassis characteristics can't be said to be good or bad, as some drivers will find them good and some will find them bad.
If you had like 3 series RWD and a 3eries FWD, same everything, even weighted it out the same so they were indentical apart from ones RWD ones FWD, same driver how do you think they would fair?

Just abit of playin about here
Old 18th September 2011, 23:23   #13
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I think the balance is fairer this year in btcc.
I think Mr. Plato may disagree on that.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, how sure are you he wasn't toying with you? Drifting a smidge to try and make a point? Not saying he wasn't seriously on it, but there's the chance. There's also driver skill level differences, perhaps you were simply a better driver?
Old 18th September 2011, 23:24   #14
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Okay. If on the same tyres, having wider tyres will increase the limit of adhesion (on a car this point is often measured in g when turning a corner. the more grip the higher the g before the car will let go) If the m3 was setup correctly and driven by someone who knew how to drive do you really think that it should have been drifting where you could fly through fine. If it's going sideways accuse the driver before the car
Old 18th September 2011, 23:25   #15
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by titchster View Post
I think Mr. Plato may disagree on that.

?
Lol, did you see his little scuffle with o'neil after qualifying at rockingham?
Old 18th September 2011, 23:27   #16
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Fwd ftw.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:28   #17
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
Fwd ftw.
Stop being driveist
Old 18th September 2011, 23:28   #18
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Lol, did you see his little scuffle with o'neil after qualifying at rockingham?
Saw a quick clip on Pootube earlier, but not seen it properly yet, i'm sure it'll be on the ITV4 footage though, when I get round to watching it.
Old 18th September 2011, 23:29   #19
Viper
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): S2 Exige 240S, CLS63 AMG, Freelander
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!Viper is absolutely fabulous!

It's all relative to the car and the driver!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
Ok Viper, you are 100% correct concerning everything, sorry to have interrupted your discussion, please continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod1 View Post
Beastiallity... They're always blowing seals. Ba-dum-tssh!
Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 23:29   #20
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

To be honest i think i just took a better line through the corner but doing it at the same angle as him im sure my old car would have coped and not stepped out like that. Maybe he was playing. Maybe he hit grease...maybe my chassis mods especially the b8's mullered him

In my experience the back end on a RWD tends to let go before the back goes on a FWD but then my RWD knowledge is mainly from other people's cars as the only thing RWD i drive is a lorry lol

I also can definately say FWD is easy to drive though. Go tooo fast through a corner you will understeer. Go to fast through a corner and then let off you will have one wheel off the ground and oversteer. Is much fun and mamy happy times i have with Mr FWD

Awaits the hater's club

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 18th September 2011 at 23:34.