Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 23rd February 2009, 17:16   #81
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

until you have held a original one and a ported and polished one in both your hands next to each other you cant say anyhing. I have and can see where the ported and polished one has been ground down. And until you have fitted one to your car you cant say it does nothing.
Ohhh James I do love when you get your dirty mod hat on.
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:17   #82
TrevorRS
Infrequent Poster

Car(s): MK2 vtr saxo in silver
TrevorRS is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor1 View Post
I think it's important to test a standard throttle body against the ported and polished one, as long as the standard one is *THOROUGHLY CLEANED* first and de-gunked.

I wonder how much of the noticed improvement is because the TB is lovely and clean?

I cleaned out mine recently as it had loads of gunk in it, and afterwards there was amuch crisper feel to it, so bear this in mind.

Andy
i agree... i can see there being much in it on a stock car.
TrevorRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:19   #83
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor1 View Post
I think it's important to test a standard throttle body against the ported and polished one, as long as the standard one is *THOROUGHLY CLEANED* first and de-gunked.
I agree Andy that you'd have to test like for like
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:25   #84
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Like I said, we will do an unbiased RR. We dont sell this item or have the manufacturing facilities to do anything similar so its no interest to us whether this makes a gain or not.

I personally see no point to modifying the throttlebody as thats not the restriction in my eyes but the throttleplate spindle removal could let a tiny bit more air in. Whether theres any difference I am happy to check out.

Kev
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:26   #85
TrevorRS
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaXo_vtr123 View Post
until you have held a original one and a ported and polished one in both your hands next to each other you cant say anyhing. I have and can see where the ported and polished one has been ground down. And until you have fitted one to your car you cant say it does nothing.
im not an idiot, i work at bikes for a living and race myself.

im well aware of the differences i have removed the flash from many carbs, aswell as the half a spindle changed the shape of the butterfly to aid WOT air flow and polished them.

I dont want an argument.. i was just trying to find out what had been done... as by the fact he had said "ported" i for some reason assumed he was making the venturi bigger not just removing flash,polishing and cutting away half the spindle.

Trevor
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:29   #86
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth Wales Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

JamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the roughJamesR is a jewel in the rough

KAM if you do the RR let us know of the results.
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:30   #87
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorRS View Post
im not an idiot, i work at bikes for a living and race myself.

im well aware of the differences i have removed the flash from many carbs, aswell as the half a spindle changed the shape of the butterfly to aid WOT air flow and polished them.

I dont want an argument.. i was just trying to find out what had been done... as by the fact he had said "ported" i for some reason assumed he was making the venturi bigger not just removing flash,polishing and cutting away half the spindle.

Trevor
Just out of interest what is a "WOT"??
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:30   #88
gdwelsh
Frequent Poster
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 306 GTi-6 / Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
gdwelsh is a jewel in the roughgdwelsh is a jewel in the roughgdwelsh is a jewel in the rough

Fair one
gdwelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 17:38   #89
TrevorRS
Infrequent Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaXo_vtr123 View Post
Just out of interest what is a "WOT"??
Wide Open Throttle
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:32   #90
Goodwrench
Frequent Poster
Content ContributorEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): 2001 VTR
Goodwrench is on a distinguished road

Fair play from Spencer, he has the pics to show you what he is doing. £26 is a fair price for the labour involved. Decreasing the frontal area of the throttle spindle is a delicate job but yields significant results, along with knife-edging. Induction wise, removing obstructions helps to make the air flow unformly, minimising the deceleration of air flow through the TB.

Check out some old-skool power tuning books. Vizard a-series, pinto...

On the other hand, if you have the time and patience and experience not to c0ck up your TB with the dremel and you enjoy being hands on then great.
Goodwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 18:45   #91
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v VTR + Nitrous
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
DusheR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Like I said, we will do an unbiased RR. We dont sell this item or have the manufacturing facilities to do anything similar so its no interest to us whether this makes a gain or not.

I personally see no point to modifying the throttlebody as thats not the restriction in my eyes but the throttleplate spindle removal could let a tiny bit more air in. Whether theres any difference I am happy to check out.

Kev
That would be interesting if you could. I should be fitting mine later on this week
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:15   #92
GroomGTI
Established Member
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): White 106 Gti
iTrader Score: 18 (100%)
GroomGTI is a glorious beacon of lightGroomGTI is a glorious beacon of lightGroomGTI is a glorious beacon of lightGroomGTI is a glorious beacon of lightGroomGTI is a glorious beacon of lightGroomGTI is a glorious beacon of light

made no diffrence at all on my car imo.

my spaxo
GroomGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:19   #93
Nij
Yorkshire
North East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Citroen C4 VTR Coupe Porsche 924
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Nij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team memberNij is a well respected team member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groomster-VTS View Post
made no diffrence at all on my car imo.
+1 the only difference is my car seams to like the golden nectar a little more

Not my Paxo's progress thread
162.4BHP VTR! Now gone, but not forgotten!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouldy87
Your car is like a irritated wasp
Nij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2009, 19:22   #94
andywiddss1
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): clio 172 exclusive track toy
andywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud ofandywiddss1 has much to be proud of

i had one on and wayne at chipwizzards said they give 3bhp max , but didnt feel any different to me
Old 23rd February 2009, 21:30   #95
spencer_cammedvts
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): 257bhp Ibiza Cupra Turbo
iTrader Score: 16 (94%)
spencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to behold

its not just a polish with motal polish and then half the spindle.

there are various stages in the process and i spend around 1.5 - 2 hours on each one. its an industrial dye grinder that i use along with a milling machine, various grinding wheels, flap wheels and a selection of small files. the throtlebody is totally dismantled and put back together with the butter flu being removed from the body while the process is carried out.

i firstly mill it out to a desired radius upto the spindle. then i knife edge the opening rim and very gradually chamfer the opening in towards the throttlebody and remove any ridges/steps present. its then a matter of machining the front half of the spindle and grinding down the screw ends. after this i go round the whole of the throttlebody with a flap wheel and small file to take away any other sharpe edges left on the spidle and the rest of the opening.

then its a matter of using various flap wheels & wet & dry wheels along with cutting paste to give a mirror finish.

so no its not just cutting the spindle and cleaning the throttlebody up.

gains are had by making less of an obsticle for the air to pass through and these give you better MPG under normal driving conditions because you dont have to be so heavy on the throttle to get the required power to pull the car.

NOTORIOUS_CAT HAD a ported TB and a standard tb off me for a vts to do a back to back test. if interested contact him as he was going to post up the results.

Last edited by spencer_cammedvts; 23rd February 2009 at 21:32.
spencer_cammedvts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2009, 13:57   #96
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

All the people saying it made no difference, i dont see how not, i can feel the difference, before i fitted mine i went out and drove around for 30mins, then fitted it and went back out and could tell the difference. Its not that noticable, just consentrate and you will notice that you dont have to push teh accelerator as much.

Anyway spencer as i have said i rate you service very highly!
Old 24th February 2009, 16:35   #97
spencer_cammedvts
Saxperience Forum Bum

spencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to beholdspencer_cammedvts is a splendid one to behold

go out with the ported one on, then try putting the standard one on and going for a blast. you can tell a big difference
Old 24th February 2009, 16:37   #98
JamesRm
Forum Section Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer_cammedvts View Post
go out with the ported one on, then try putting the standard one on and going for a blast. you can tell a big difference
exactly what i was going to say, and i did do that, you do feel the difference.
Old 24th February 2009, 21:57   #99
DusheR
Saxperience Forum Bum
North East Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 16v VTR + Nitrous
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
DusheR is on a distinguished road

cant wait to bang mine on then
Old 24th February 2009, 22:50   #100
spencer_cammedvts
Saxperience Forum Bum

i posted it today mate 1st class recorded so will be there tomorrow