Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 31st May 2011, 22:42   #121
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojace View Post
40KG? Any actual proof on this? Or is it just what someone has come out with?
Aha found the info

40KG at 70 mph and up to 70KG at higher speeds.

Yes the sun does shine out the clio's ass according to every major car journalist Chris Harris included.

Evo's review:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...o_200_cup.html

Anyways back on topic...
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 08:37   #122
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

iTrader Score: 14 (100%)
kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayyoung View Post
mate its a Clio 200....the sun shines out of its ass. Its perfection...apparently... Best car you can ever buy.

along with everyother clio sport ever made LOL. It's so perfect, you can't get a baby travel system in the boot, so it must be soooo great for family outings etc LOL.

Iam sorry but none of the clio range is the most perfect car out there, no matter what toss pot says they are. You notice that because there good on track it makes them the best in every single every day car use, thats just pathetic.

Maybe some people will realise this when they have a family LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post
Aha found the info

40KG at 70 mph and up to 70KG at higher speeds.

Yes the sun does shine out the clio's ass according to every major car journalist Chris Harris included.

Evo's review:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evoc...o_200_cup.html

Anyways back on topic...
No were does it say in that review the amount of downforce the clio aparently produces. Car reviews cant tell how a car is from a factual point of view. it's all down to personall opinion. The reviewer may like an oversteery car so would say blah blah is perfect handling because car A oversteers alot, someone reading the review may go out and buy the car on the back of reading this review and hate the cars handling because he/she prefers a car that understeers and is more stable.

So in actual fact, unless your reviewing the car yourself, reviews are in a nutshell meaningless.
kristel10589 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kristel10589 For This Useful Post:
Old 1st June 2011, 08:52   #123
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

1) You are quoting something i never said
2) Why could you not get a baby travel system in the boot? There is plenty of room
3) I never said that review said the amount of downforce it produces...
4) 'So in actual fact, unless your reviewing the car yourself, reviews are in a nutshell meaningless.'

When every review i could find on the internet was positive then im inclined to believe them just a little bit.

When people that know A LOT more about driving and cars than anyone on here does i feel a bit inclined to listen. Then upon test driving said car and finding everything said about it to be true then i listen even more.

Also please refrain from getting so angry and calling me a 'toss pot' if you don't like my opinions then go somewhere else. There's no need to get pre menstrual about it now.

Anyway i know a clio 200 has a diffuser but its not really on topic it is?

EDIT:

I find the 'thanks' on here to be lol hilarious when clearly i am right but people see the need to 'thank' because someone disagreed with me. Pathetic E warriors. Shame real life is a little scarier

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 1st June 2011 at 08:57.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:04   #124
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

To be fair though it is a Saxo forum not a clio forum, I think maybe you want a Clio? So go and buy one.

I am feed up reading about clio's it just a newer Saxo really, Saxo was the best thing when they came out with the 106.

Was the same with 205, just evolution.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndySAXO For This Useful Post:
Old 1st June 2011, 09:09   #125
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

I agree. I was just saying that some cars diffusers are there for a purpose not just for looks.
Old 1st June 2011, 09:41   #126
c7borg
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
c7borg is on a distinguished road

Great now we're back on the subject...

Even if you don't go to the extremes of a flat under belly and diffuser, but what about just cutting out the rear bumper surely once the spare wheel is removed you've effectively got an air brake even at 80mph it wouldn't it start to drag?
c7borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 11:07   #127
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

I don't know if anyone saw the drag civic in the latest redline mag?
He did the same thing except he cut about 6 holes in the back of his rear bumper to reduce the drag too.

His looked quite neat as they were all circular holes and as air will always take the easiest path is probably just as effective as doing what sexy_gt and that have done.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:37   #128
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

My rear bumper cut like sexy gt, have both so plan to change it at a track day to test A's such see if it fells different.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 12:46   #129
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore

kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!kristel10589 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
1) You are quoting something i never said
2) Why could you not get a baby travel system in the boot? There is plenty of room
3) I never said that review said the amount of downforce it produces...
4) 'So in actual fact, unless your reviewing the car yourself, reviews are in a nutshell meaningless.'

When every review i could find on the internet was positive then im inclined to believe them just a little bit.

When people that know A LOT more about driving and cars than anyone on here does i feel a bit inclined to listen. Then upon test driving said car and finding everything said about it to be true then i listen even more.

Also please refrain from getting so angry and calling me a 'toss pot' if you don't like my opinions then go somewhere else. There's no need to get pre menstrual about it now.

Anyway i know a clio 200 has a diffuser but its not really on topic it is?

EDIT:

I find the 'thanks' on here to be lol hilarious when clearly i am right but people see the need to 'thank' because someone disagreed with me. Pathetic E warriors. Shame real life is a little scarier
Iam an e-worrier? Iv gone to more shows and met more people off here then you would like to care about. Car reviewers IMHO mean nothing. If car manufacture pay more through advertising etc then there cars normally get a better review etc etc. Unless you actually have a family and tried a clio for size then i'd refrane from commenting as you have no idea. I will give you an example to show that your wrong though. We have a focus st221. the boot capacity is 385 L and we struggle majorly with just one kid. Do you know how much stuff a baby has to have to go out even for a day? the clio in comparison has 100l less at 288l. We are already struggling and looking at getting a bigger car. so you tell me how the clio is good for a family car?!

So you actually think the clio 200 is the best car you can buy?

I personally believe there are many people on here that can drive and know more about cars then average car reviewers.

Someone asked you to show the proof of the clio 200 producing the amount of downforce that you quoted, you said 'Aha found the info' and provided a link! So if that review you posted isn't backing you up, can you show evidence to back yourself up. Iam betting that the clio produces no amount of downforce that can be attributed to the diffuser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndySAXO View Post
To be fair though it is a Saxo forum not a clio forum, I think maybe you want a Clio? So go and buy one.

I am feed up reading about clio's it just a newer Saxo really, Saxo was the best thing when they came out with the 106.

Was the same with 205, just evolution.
+1
Old 1st June 2011, 12:47   #130
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7borg View Post
Great now we're back on the subject...

Even if you don't go to the extremes of a flat under belly and diffuser, but what about just cutting out the rear bumper surely once the spare wheel is removed you've effectively got an air brake even at 80mph it wouldn't it start to drag?
There is a difference between an effective diffuser and and cutting body work to reduce drag. Totally two different and seperate issues lol.
Old 1st June 2011, 12:57   #131
mangojace
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberSouth East Region Member

iTrader Score: 12 (93%)
mangojace is on a distinguished road

As for 40 kg of downforce,where is the actual proof? Just because a reviewer says it? Oh buy the way mate my saxo produces 200 kilo yo
mangojace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 13:46   #132
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Performance French Car Magazine Clio 200 Review October 2009 Page 52.

I quote:

'As per the 197, found on both models is a rear diffuser. For those who look at this as a gimmick, it creates 40kg of rear downforce at 70mph and up to 70kg as speeds increase'

When said car reviewer is going to be be team mate to Walter Rohl driving a GT3 RS at the Nurburgring 24hrs i think im going to listen to him and his opinion on cars not someone thats a member of sax-p to be honest.

Anyway if we could please move on as all this thread seems to be is an attack on my beliefs and opinions.
Old 1st June 2011, 13:56   #133
kristel10589
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Performance French Car Magazine Clio 200 Review October 2009 Page 52.

I quote:

'As per the 197, found on both models is a rear diffuser. For those who look at this as a gimmick, it creates 40kg of rear downforce at 70mph and up to 70kg as speeds increase'

When said car reviewer is going to be be team mate to Walter Rohl driving a GT3 RS at the Nurburgring 24hrs i think im going to listen to him and his opinion on cars not someone thats a member of sax-p to be honest.

Anyway if we could please move on as all this thread seems to be is an attack on my beliefs and opinions.
What test equipment did they use to measure this? I can guarentee that at 70mph the rear diffuser wouldn't even be creating half the quoted downforce!
Old 1st June 2011, 13:59   #134
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

I don't know to be honest i doubt PFC tested this, i'd imagine thats what Renault have said.

No reason not to believe it i've had a good look at them underneath and they do go really far back. I'd also imagine that figure is combined with the blade front bumper.
Old 1st June 2011, 16:52   #135
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

What more proof would anyone need? :

Quote:
i've had a good look at them underneath and they do go really far back
Old 1st June 2011, 16:59   #136
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by db_sax View Post
What more proof would anyone need? :
and this is on topic and helps how.....?
Old 1st June 2011, 17:03   #137
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
and this is on topic and helps how.....?
Ive already commented ealier in the thread with facts, which have been supported by other people too. Theres nothing more to say unless I want to argue with you about Clio's which I dont.
Old 1st June 2011, 17:29   #138
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristel10589 View Post
What test equipment did they use to measure this? I can guarentee that at 70mph the rear diffuser wouldn't even be creating half the quoted downforce!
I think you are arguing the wrong point. I'm sure Renault officially tested it. The questions you should be asking is
a: Is that a lot?
b: Is that good?

Its certainly better than a car producing no downforce at all. It may be enough to make it more stable at speed which is also very nice but in isolation its all pretty meaningless in the grand scheme of things. The Clio 200 is a very good car to drive though I find the Clio RS engines a little boring in general.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2011, 18:54   #139
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

The rs engine's are like the saxo's are they not? Nothing nothing nothing then boom boom boom change gear boom boom boom change gear...

Nothing beats a car you have to grab by the scruff of the neck and thrash for all its worth

On the stability thing i had a play with my mate's 200 on a country road and although i was keeping up nicely i was trying my utmost hardest not to get thrown off the road by all the bumps while his car looked so planted and unbothered by it all. The torque and traction coming out of corners was really noticeable too.

Last edited by hard_corejoeboy; 1st June 2011 at 18:57.
Old 1st June 2011, 19:39   #140
DanGT
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): TVR cerbera, Saxo VTR
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
DanGT is on a distinguished road

Been trying to catch up on this thread, then I get to this page and it just an argument about Clio's! lol. In case anyone wants my opinion, they are a great car probably the best performance/fun for the cost. Anyway, back on topic.

I have been speaking with a friend who happens to have a degree in aerodynamics. He says you will never generate downforce on a saxo unless you have major body mods and even then the frontal surface area is very large, so you will need big HP to overcome the enevitable drag. All you can do is limit the lift. Its interesting that people are looking at the rear bumper and thinking, that must cause drag, but this may not be the case. The bumper may catch air and force it into a vortex, which will then pressurise that portion of the rear, and "deflect" any more air from being caught by the bumper (at certain speeds). If you cut holes in the bumper or remove the rear section you might make the problem worse, the tubulant air catches the bumper, as it isn't being pushed away by the pressurised air.

You can't test any of this unless you have a wind tunnel, and this all theoretical, but I have never seen a track saxos rear bumper cracked from doing high speeds. But I see plenty of old mondeos and escorts with broken rear bumper sections, from travelling at motorway speeds.

The whole point of aero is to try and smooth out the air behind and in front a body, and not loose too much energy turning it along the surface. Thats why newer cars have a similar angle of bonnet to windscreen (like the new fiesta/clio etc). Interestingly, the underside won't create the most drag, the rough cooling drag (from radiators) will be in the region of 20% and just the gaps in the panels will be about 10% of the total drag.

The moral of the story is without testing it, in a wind tunnel which is repeatable conditions, then you will never really know what the air is doing under the car, and therefore cannot takes steps to change it for the better. One of the first cars to be shaped according to the air was a Cobra, where they stuck ribbons all over it and watched where the air was tubulent, and then changed the shaped and retested it. So someone could do that with a camera and ribbons under there car. lol.

By the way I'm saying all of this and don't completely understand it and am probably wording it all wrong!

Cheers
DanGT is offline   Reply With Quote