Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 11th January 2011, 10:54   #1
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road
Default Rose jointed gearlinkages

Im looking at making my own rose jointed gearlinkages by buying the ends off the net and just doing the rod bits myself at work.

What are the pro's and con's off them?

Also thought about making solid mounts also.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 11:00   #2
Colin
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Saxo Rally Car Evo 6
iTrader Score: 12 (100%)
Colin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant futureColin has a brilliant future

Pros; They will never pop off, durable, solid feel etc.

Cons; hard to fit when box is in the car, bit harsh on synchros if not setup well

Get them made mate would be cool. I got a little trick for fitting them to ensure the hole is perfectly in the middle when cutting the ball joint off
Smoking Bozos Since 1988
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 11:32   #3
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

All i ever read about them when i nearly bought some, was that they fuck the sychros on the box. Read that on rallyereg iirc, would have to look it up.

I personally can't see the point in getting them. Will have to drill the nipples off your gearbox to fit them.
I used to use those x-sport linkages which have a small clip on them to stop them popping off. They dont have any rubber bushing in them.
Old 11th January 2011, 12:22   #4
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

I would have thought these would do just fine
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 12:35   #5
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Icelandic vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 36 (97%)
rorz_vts will become famous soon enough

ive just bought some rose jointed gear linkages, steve would you be able to find a link to the posts about them breaking syncros
Old 11th January 2011, 12:41   #6
Mochachino
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): oyster card
iTrader Score: 41 (100%)
Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!Mochachino is absolutely fabulous!

Be easier to just buy them brand new for £45 tbh mate! Unless you want to make them to know you've made them just a lil bit of satisfaction knowing you made your own.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:00   #7
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorz_vts View Post
ive just bought some rose jointed gear linkages, steve would you be able to find a link to the posts about them breaking syncros
They wont if you treat your gearbox right.
You need to allow time for the synchros to mesh together. This means a firm but slow gear lever movement rather than smashing it in as fast as possible. Never rush a gearchange.
Old 11th January 2011, 13:14   #8
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
They wont if you treat your gearbox right.
You need to allow time for the synchros to mesh together. This means a firm but slow gear lever movement rather than smashing it in as fast as possible. Never rush a gearchange.
see i thought this ^^^ but im willing to have a read, part of the reason ive bought rose jointed items is for the long life you get with them, i had the xracing 1s on before and noticed that they rust and wear the inner ball out unless grease is applied
Old 11th January 2011, 13:37   #9
Steve
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region MemberNorth East Region Member

Car(s): CW Honda Integra DC5
iTrader Score: 23 (100%)
Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!Steve is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Al have a search for you when i get home later on mate.
As mentioned though, i would suspect when fitting them, they are lined up properly it shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Steve; 11th January 2011 at 13:48.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve For This Useful Post:
Old 11th January 2011, 14:28   #10
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

Well they seem to be popular and a good upgrade. Ive got the xs ones but havent got the pins as when bought off someone pins were missing so only got the long one fitted atm.

Ive just forked out £400 to have my box rebuilt with all new bearing, etc so if it does mess up synchros might not be the best idea.

I want to make my own front rear wishbone mounts like the spoox ones too as fairly simple to make, just get the measurements right.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:54   #11
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
Ive just forked out £400 to have my box rebuilt with all new bearing, etc so if it does mess up synchros might not be the best idea.

I want to make my own front rear wishbone mounts like the spoox ones too as fairly simple to make, just get the measurements right.
yea sack spending that to wreck it again but i really cant see how this would happen, the spoox FRW mounts are sexy but at £90 + postage they arent cheap if you could do some i no a few people that would be interested
Old 11th January 2011, 15:36   #12
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

i would get them. But only after they have been tested on a track car for some time. things like that rear wishbone mount have to be able to take some stress. being under hung, if they fail then shit hits the fan
Old 11th January 2011, 15:58   #13
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
see i thought this ^^^ but im willing to have a read, part of the reason ive bought rose jointed items is for the long life you get with them, i had the xracing 1s on before and noticed that they rust and wear the inner ball out unless grease is applied
Thats because you should pack them with Grease. Metal moving against metal will cause wear..
Old 11th January 2011, 16:48   #14
rorz_vts
Saxperience Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Thats because you should pack them with Grease. Metal moving against metal will cause wear..
i know this just some/most of the kits sold dont come with grease and some people dont get onto it and just put them on with out greasing or dont top it up every so often, i just find the idea for rose jointed 1s simpler and less hastle once they have been fitted, just my opinion
Old 11th January 2011, 17:45   #15
sexy_gt
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): SUPERCHARGED saxo vts
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
sexy_gt is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yea sack spending that to wreck it again but i really cant see how this would happen, the spoox FRW mounts are sexy but at £90 + postage they arent cheap if you could do some i no a few people that would be interested
imo the spoox are shite! ive used and abused them in no time. i have recently bought and fit some vibratechnics rears. unlike the spooks these have some rubber for compliance.

ill let you know how i get on

(gone way off topic but think it may be of use to some lol)