Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 30th January 2011, 07:55   #21
Sandy309
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 XSi
Sandy309 is on a distinguished road

We've actually found gearbox damage to be reduced with Colin's linkage kits (bear in mind they've been in use for about ten years already, before he worked out this easier to fit kit). He's designed and developed it very carefully to ensure the gate movement would not increase the stress on the selectors and synchros; the increased feel helps markedly to improve the selection precision. I don't think it's something you can appreciate until you've tried it and the wide eyed enthusiasm of the people who've fitted them so far hopefully indicates what a dramatic difference it makes.

Aggressive drivers will break MA boxes whatever linkage is used, but more feel certainly helps sympathetic drivers to use the box more judiciously. How and when you feed the clutch/power in, inflicts the most damage in my experience.
Sandy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandy309 For This Useful Post:
Old 30th January 2011, 18:51   #22
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1311 View Post
yep i love my, had myn about 3weeks now, was 1st person on here with it i think ....
I know of someone on here who had it before you.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titchster For This Useful Post:
Old 31st January 2011, 10:54   #23
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamskiTNR View Post
I was looking at that powershift stand at autosport. tbh i think it is a bit overrated. i mean it's clever, don't get me wrong, but the function that if you change down 2 gears but the rpm is too high so it wont let you, then when you brake and the rpm drop low enough it will change down those 2 gears. I think, well i know, this irritate a lot of drivers. as the system is changing when IT wants rather than when YOU want.
with gear tronics YOU set up what you want ,if you don,t want it fully auto,then don,t use that mode.
then you just hit the paddles and change down or up as many or as few as you like ,it still blips throttle on downchange+ engine cut to unload the the dogs and won,t allow selection with no clutch pressed ,unless it is within the rpm band you have set .
so no over-revving of engine or sudden lock up of wheels ever
you can use the clutch if you want and bang it down 5 gears as quick as it takes to say it -but when would you want to go down that many at once not very often ,so you only use the clutch really for starts .
it will take as much setting up as the engine ecu to get it perfect.
you don,t have to have paddle shift it can work with a gear lever as well ,justdifferent set-up
Old 31st January 2011, 10:58   #24
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy309 View Post
We've actually found gearbox damage to be reduced with Colin's linkage kits (bear in mind they've been in use for about ten years already, before he worked out this easier to fit kit). He's designed and developed it very carefully to ensure the gate movement would not increase the stress on the selectors and synchros; the increased feel helps markedly to improve the selection precision. I don't think it's something you can appreciate until you've tried it and the wide eyed enthusiasm of the people who've fitted them so far hopefully indicates what a dramatic difference it makes.

Aggressive drivers will break MA boxes whatever linkage is used, but more feel certainly helps sympathetic drivers to use the box more judiciously. How and when you feed the clutch/power in, inflicts the most damage in my experience.
no.no ,as i said I ,m only pointing out that fitting this does not suddenly turn it into a squential box and being a good driver is still a must to keep the box in one piece.
my feeling is having a little rubber,providing its not oil sodden+ old age degraded in it somewhere allows for the "off days/ red mist" of the driver
Old 1st February 2011, 07:25   #25
Sandy309
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 XSi
Sandy309 is on a distinguished road

Nobody had suggested this kit would turn in into a sequential box and I think it's pretty common sense that you need to treat gearboxes with sympathy to make them last. The rubber bushes will not protect the box from ham fisted use and I think if you'd actually used the kit, you'd perhaps appreciate what a difference it makes and how much easier it is to FEEL the changes and selector/synchro action.

Feel free to develop your own kit with rubber bushes and see how much better it works!
Sandy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 09:14   #26
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum

since when did the majority of forum users have much common sense,you only have to see how they complain tha the ma is a choclate g/box ,that they have no idea on hwo to drive cars
Old 1st February 2011, 09:22   #27
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

I want one! that is all

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:31   #28
qrty
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorWest Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 19 (100%)
qrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of lightqrty is a glorious beacon of light

Just had a parcel that looks like a hedge trimmer! I wonder what it could be!
qrty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 18:52   #29
SaxSpeed
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): 1600 16v VTS 1600 8v VTR 1400 16v Clio Sport
SaxSpeed is on a distinguished road

so does this kit make it a forward upshift and a backwards downshift throughout the box with aid of the clutch, or does it keep the standerd gear pattern?
Old 6th July 2011, 19:05   #30
Mathias
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member

iTrader Score: 33 (100%)
Mathias will become famous soon enoughMathias will become famous soon enough

standard pattern
Old 6th July 2011, 20:13   #31
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

saw one the other day, was with a BE box but look the part, and made the shift feel better,

and it some close the steering wheel so i think ill be investing in one soon
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2011, 21:30   #32
tweeqd
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX GT 16v turbo 6 speed with NOS 205 gti6 E 320
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
tweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nicetweeqd is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
since when did the majority of forum users have much common sense
great way to get more customers
tweeqd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tweeqd For This Useful Post:
Old 10th July 2011, 08:50   #33
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

but he is right to some extent regarding gearboxes. Most people do not understand how a sychromesh gearbox should be used and therefore internals are abused. I remember how at 18 I didnt really give a shit, and just wanted to change gear as fast as I possibly could.
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 13:45   #34
Gareth_R
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Citroen AX VTS
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Gareth_R is on a distinguished road

Instead of all just agreeing that people can't drive isn't it generally more helpful to say what they actually do wrong
Old 10th July 2011, 16:48   #35
Tufty
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Black Furio, Amazon Green VT-S Road Beast
Tufty is on a distinguished road

friend of mine has this fitted to his car, used it for two weeks and he has already complained with gearbox whine. Buy this at your own risk, great looking bit of kit, and it probably does save a tenth of a second changing gear, i guess when your "competing" on a public track day you need every tenth you can get....pffttt.
Old 10th July 2011, 16:52   #36
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

Also to remember though this is sold aim at track time not for use on the road every day.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 18:12   #37
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufty View Post
friend of mine has this fitted to his car, used it for two weeks and he has already complained with gearbox whine. Buy this at your own risk, great looking bit of kit, and it probably does save a tenth of a second changing gear, i guess when your "competing" on a public track day you need every tenth you can get....pffttt.
Gearbox whine would hint at diff bearings? Or some sort of bearing whine as opposed to synchro damage from changing gear using this shifter setup?

I think it's a great bit of kit but doesn't protect the gearbox synchros from 'aggressive' driving.
Old 10th July 2011, 18:52   #38
Tufty
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Black Furio, Amazon Green VT-S Road Beast
Tufty is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
Gearbox whine would hint at diff bearings? Or some sort of bearing whine as opposed to synchro damage from changing gear using this shifter setup?

I think it's a great bit of kit but doesn't protect the gearbox synchros from 'aggressive' driving.
yh, could be that mate, just its getting harder and harder for him to select gear which makes me think its the rings making to heavy (fast) contact whilst selecting.

It is a decent bit of kit and is purely for race as stated, so i suppose with race parts comes wear and tare a bit more sooner than other bits.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:08   #39
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

I had (to my knowledge) the first BE kit from Sandy. It transforms the selection process completely. However, it IS less forgiving on the synchro's I think than the standard (even "quickshift) setups. I've just come back from the 'ring last month with a buggered 3rd gear synchro - almost positive this damage was down to being way down on power and me smashing it into every gear aggressively. I think the standard linkage may have been more forgiving, but I'd still rather have this. I just need to learn to be more sympathetic and let the car/boost do the work.

End result? My fault because of wank driving. Damage emphasized by uprated components being less forgiving.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:44   #40
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDagley View Post
I had (to my knowledge) the first BE kit from Sandy.
I think Stu (slammed106) had the first one outside of race cars, since my understanding is, that it was after talking to him that they became commercial.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titchster For This Useful Post: