Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 3rd February 2011, 10:36   #161
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
I like the sound of throttlebodies and a lumpy cam.
i agree to a point --but the lumpy idle --no should not be if t/bodies ecu are set-up correctly
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:50   #162
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Car(s): Mk3 Ibiza Cupra
iTrader Score: 61 (100%)
CarlosVT is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzvtr View Post
Yes m8. If sourced parts and do alot of the build urself. U could turbo for around 2000. And have more power than bodies. Checkout the stickies about it on here. Plenty info in them
Sounds good mate. I really can't decide on which set up to go for now.. is turbo really that bad in killing clutches, gearboxes, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
i agree to a point --but the lumpy idle --no should not be if t/bodies ecu are set-up correctly
Whatever set up I go for I'll be getting GMC to remap my ecu, heard some good stuff about you guys
CarlosVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:32   #163
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossDagley View Post
Lol. You really need to go out in a quick saxo or 106. Most people don't laugh at my "shitty French hothatch" at all. Not in the slightest. They're generally on the blunt end of getting their ass handed to them.

A 400 bhp evo is NOT quick. Like I said - go out in a quick 106 and you'll see what all the fuss is about.
I've got a turbo'd vts so i'd say i have got a quick saxo

keep in mind, yours is 286 bhp. mine was 230bhp at 9.5psi i've since turned it up to 1 bar (14.7psi) and have a 50bhp shot of nitrous to hand on top of that if i want it so I'm pretty sure i know what a quick saxo/106 is.

and you're telling me a car that weighs 1200kg that has 420bhp and over 400 ft/lb torque isn't quick? Are you ok in the head?

and regardless, even if you get a 106 or saxo to match the performance of a tuned skyline, evo, supra can you honestly say you would rather be sat in a saxo/106? i know i can't.

I know bigger cars can be had, i often take the p!ss out of wrx imprezas but when i beat it i think, 'hang on, he's got an impreza that he paid £2k for. I've spent £££££££ more on a saxo, I'm sure if he knew that he wouldn't be remotely bothered and probably even laugh at me for doing it.'

this has turned into a pointless debate anyway,

YES, you can make a saxo/106 quick, I know from first hand experience.
HOWEVER, they are still sh1t cars, argue that as much as you want but it's true and the general public hate saxo/106 owners and laugh at them.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:02   #164
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
I've got a turbo'd vts so i'd say i have got a quick saxo

keep in mind, yours is 286 bhp. mine was 230bhp at 9.5psi i've since turned it up to 1 bar (14.7psi) and have a 50bhp shot of nitrous to hand on top of that if i want it so I'm pretty sure i know what a quick saxo/106 is.

and you're telling me a car that weighs 1200kg that has 420bhp and over 400 ft/lb torque isn't quick? Are you ok in the head?

and regardless, even if you get a 106 or saxo to match the performance of a tuned skyline, evo, supra can you honestly say you would rather be sat in a saxo/106? i know i can't.

I know bigger cars can be had, i often take the p!ss out of wrx imprezas but when i beat it i think, 'hang on, he's got an impreza that he paid £2k for. I've spent £££££££ more on a saxo, I'm sure if he knew that he wouldn't be remotely bothered and probably even laugh at me for doing it.'

this has turned into a pointless debate anyway,

YES, you can make a saxo/106 quick, I know from first hand experience.
HOWEVER, they are still sh1t cars, argue that as much as you want but it's true and the general public hate saxo/106 owners and laugh at them.
You've single handedly slowly turned this debate into a "saxos are shit" thread, when in fact it started as a question of ITB's or turbo as the OP wanted increased performance. The OP's questions have been answered

For the record mines not 286 It was when it was first mapped. I'm also sceptical of a lot of other dynos As John will tell you, when the flag drops, the bullshit stops. It's why my "286 bhp" 106 is quicker than Titch's "330bhp" 106. Someone's telling porkies...

A 400bhp evo isn't especially quick. Sorry about that if you think it is. If your apparent (300bhp?) car can't rip a 400bhp evo a new one, then you've got a problem right there mate...
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:15   #165
maddison_vts
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2000 phase 2 Saxo VTS Turbo 2000 Nissan 200sx S14a
maddison_vts is on a distinguished road

i've stated facts, they are sh1t.

regardless of what you say, a 400bhp evo is a fast car.
maddison_vts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:26   #166
LWS_71
Frequent Poster
South East Region Member

Car(s): A written off mini
LWS_71 is on a distinguished road

I think everyone puts abit too much emphasis on bhp figures anyway. For a start all dyno's read different anyway. If it drives smoothly and you feel it is fast and what you wanted from the setup then what does it matter about bhp figures.

At the end of the day supra/evo/scooby whatever they are all quick, but just because someone has a quicker car that does not make them slow.

Anyway I feel sorry for the OP that his thread has been hijacked by silly arguments.
t/b's are awesome, sound sweet and give good power gains.
Turbos are awesome sound good, in most cases cost more but generally will be faster when 'on boost'.

If it was me I would go for a low boost setup for the time being then atleast in the future you can upgrade for more power.
With bodies you can get to 150-170bhp but if you wanted to upgrade in the future it would cost alot of money for anymore power.

Hope all of that makes sence and helps you out a little.
LWS_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:52   #167
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS_71 View Post
I think everyone puts abit too much emphasis on bhp figures anyway. For a start all dyno's read different anyway. If it drives smoothly and you feel it is fast and what you wanted from the setup then what does it matter about bhp figures.

At the end of the day supra/evo/scooby whatever they are all quick, but just because someone has a quicker car that does not make them slow.

Anyway I feel sorry for the OP that his thread has been hijacked by silly arguments.
Turbos are awesome sound good, in most cases cost more but generally will be faster when 'on boost'.

If it was me I would go for a low boost setup for the time being then atleast in the future you can upgrade for more power.
With bodies you can get to 150-170bhp but if you wanted to upgrade in the future it would cost alot of money for anymore power.

+1 - lets bring this back on topic

200bhp in a saxo is always gonna be a fun car to drive. Low boost, decomp in some way, cheap turbo. Bosh. A lot of grin for not a lot of readies. Get started, OP
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:59   #168
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

I say sort your suspension, brakes out first and then go from there...

Sometimes i can barely handle having 120bhp in my car (i really need to get it dyno'd)
and it can get me in trouble VERY quickly. Only have to press the pedal for a few seconds and im already doing over the speed limit on the road.

Maybe the best idea would be to get a few passenger rides of people's cars on here?
That way you can decide what you like best.
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:10   #169
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWS_71 View Post

Thank you for the input mate. Makes sense what you said about being able to upgrade for more power in the future. I think I'll definitely go for a low boost set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hard_corejoeboy View Post
I say sort your suspension, brakes out first and then go from there...

Sometimes i can barely handle having 120bhp in my car (i really need to get it dyno'd)
and it can get me in trouble VERY quickly. Only have to press the pedal for a few seconds and im already doing over the speed limit on the road.

Maybe the best idea would be to get a few passenger rides of people's cars on here?
That way you can decide what you like best.
That's my plan mate. Will get the suspension and brakes sorted out first then go from there.

I know what you mean about getting in trouble very quickly, I had the same issue with my black vts.

Sounds like a good idea getting a few passenger rides in people's cars but I don't really know anyone around my area with a bodies or boost set up

Thanks for your input!
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:15   #170
luthor1
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
luthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to beholdluthor1 is a splendid one to behold

Throttle bodies idle beautifully! It's the stock naff intake system that is a PITA on idle

Andy

Last edited by luthor1; 3rd February 2011 at 18:24. Reason: ...i cant spell my own name
luthor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:22   #171
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
I dont know how to describe it, but a race cam always sounds a bit special, like its held back and needs to be unleashed
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:26   #172
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
I dont know how to describe it, but a race cam always sounds a bit special, like its held back and needs to be unleashed
chug chug chug.
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:40   #173
Jungle
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 106 Rallye Turbo
Jungle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
race cams on idle actually give me a semi

SHEFFCRUISE < The biggest modified car club in sheffield
Jungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:47   #174
adamskiTNR
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Citroen saxo 1.4 furio
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
adamskiTNR is on a distinguished road

enough with the verbal descriptions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk-96...eature=related
Old 3rd February 2011, 18:54   #175
danny-boi
Regular Poster
West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): saxo furio
danny-boi is on a distinguished road

prefer super charged i like to feel the power straight away with the acceleration and also like to keep the speed up round corners
Old 3rd February 2011, 19:01   #176
sliderz
Frequent Poster

Car(s): saxo vts turbo
sliderz is on a distinguished road

and the moral to this story is get a Bugatti Veyron
sliderz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sliderz For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:07   #177
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
does not have to sound like that,even with full race cams ,but it would have to run richer than mot spec on full race cams to get it to run smoothly.
customers choice .
I understand what you are saying though
admit it you really have a hankering for an old mustang mach1 or some other big v8 yank tank

Last edited by axsaxoman; 3rd February 2011 at 21:09.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 21:46   #178
hard_corejoeboy
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Seat Mii Toca/VW Polo Gti 6c 1.8 turbo
hard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of lighthard_corejoeboy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthor1 View Post
Throttle bodies idle beautifully! It's the stock naff intake system that is a PITA on idle

Andy
Find me some and some money Andy!
hard_corejoeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 01:46   #179
chriswoodward
Established Member
South East Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 05 Mini Cooper S
chriswoodward is just really nicechriswoodward is just really nicechriswoodward is just really nicechriswoodward is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddison_vts View Post
i've stated facts, they are sh1t.

regardless of what you say, a 400bhp evo is a fast car.
Ive read this from start to finish and I have to say I want to twat you one right now, I don't even own a Saxo anymore so I'm not being bias they are good cars they generally put a smile on your face and have some character unlike most jap crap, so go back to your fantasy pretending your in Fast&Furious and stop slagging saxo's off on a Saxo forum you mug.

Back on topic: it doesn't really sound like u have thought this through very well, neither build can be done effectively at low cost and neither builds are for the feint hearted, personally I would go with bodies as the sound, gains and monetary outlay I think would be more suitable for you and less hassle.
chriswoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 14:36   #180
CarlosVT
Saxperience Forum Bum
South West Region Member

I never said I'm planning to do it at 'low cost' I just said I want good power, not looking for silly amounts.. I also said that I'm looking to spend about 2k - 2.5k which is enough for a low boost set up as I have done some research now and it sounds about right.

I think I'll go for boost as I'll be able to upgrade for more power later on if I wanted to. I could upgrade with bodies but it would end up costing a lot more.

Thanks for the input