Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 17th March 2011, 13:01   #1
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!
Default gripper differentials

Well i got mine today and oh my word what a piece of artwork from an engineers point of view!!

Ill do a little review after its fitted as ill be driving 185bhp on standard diff
Shame i cannot compare to a quaife but if anyone wishes to lend me one haha!!

So far im massively impressed just in the quality of it
oh really.....

Last edited by AlexB; 17th March 2011 at 22:44.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 17:42   #2
raunchz
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth West Region Member

Car(s): 2015 Lapiz Blue Golf R
iTrader Score: 15 (100%)
raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

What sort of preload and ramp angles you go for?
Old 17th March 2011, 17:55   #3
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

John set it all up but he done it quite light to suit mainly back road use so i dunno atm im gonna double check tomorrow afternoon and confirm them all incase i need to reset it ever

Basically its all on the least aggressive without slipping its still higher than a quaife lol
oh really.....
Old 17th March 2011, 18:01   #4
raunchz
Saxperience Addict

raunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant futureraunchz has a brilliant future

Should be awesome!!!

I've read reviews on these and they sound superb! If I was going for a diff I'd go for one of these!
Old 17th March 2011, 18:04   #5
Jay_
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 92 Eunos
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Jay_ is on a distinguished road

i think we need an "out of the plastic wrapping" picture....it does look lush though! sounds like a bit of a beast!

Jay_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 18:16   #6
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Jay i have one now aswell as one of the shaft with the 14 tooth final drive on lmao ill put them up in a bit
oh really.....
Old 17th March 2011, 18:28   #7
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

well I know fuck all about grippers... so if anyone can enlighten me then please do

All I can say about the quaife is I didn't like it when I drove Yates' on the road, it would torque steer quite aggressively. Not strongly, just quickly, which was a bit unsettling. Presumably grippers are even stronger, judging by the name? I can't think of anything more terrifying in a saxo with 185 hp on a potholed country road, with alex driving it
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 18:29   #8
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

...oh and how much did it cost you alex?
Old 17th March 2011, 18:38   #9
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

roads by me arent that potholed ads but yea itll be a bit of an experience the first few times (im pretty sure ill pansy out a bit at first with the power)

they do torque steer a bit more yes but they dont loose traction which with 140odd ft/lb i think i might be struggling a bit on road tyres if im spirited its not gotta spin both up not just one like

and i payed (with discount as my dad used to race motocross with dave mac) 1020
they should be around 1200 quid
come with a final drive (of which you have a choice) and they look to be extreeeemely well built
oh really.....
Old 17th March 2011, 18:46   #10
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

You get to choose your final drive? That's awesome - what have you gone for?
That price is an eye waterer. Your car is going to bloody amazing though.
Old 17th March 2011, 18:47   #11
raunchz
Saxperience Addict

I've heard you do need to grip the wheel when driving at a fast pace on normal roads.

But they are definitely worth it, the way you can accelerate round corners verges on being silly! Will all depend on how aggressively it's setup.

Should be awesome with the TBd engine and a nice twisty track!
Old 17th March 2011, 18:58   #12
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
You get to choose your final drive? That's awesome - what have you gone for?
That price is an eye waterer. Your car is going to bloody amazing though.
yep custom straight cut ones so they whine a little haha
ive gone for 14/60 (1400 xsi) they do anything even custom longer ones for boost or silly short down to about 17/54 i think it was the smallest he could get on the diff)
price i think is worth it as the cars going to get a lot of summer use on sticky rubber (just got some cyclones to wrap in some) and ring trips ect aswell as track time i basically wanted it unbreakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchz View Post
I've heard you do need to grip the wheel when driving at a fast pace on normal roads.

But they are definitely worth it, the way you can accelerate round corners verges on being silly! Will all depend on how aggressively it's setup.

Should be awesome with the TBd engine and a nice twisty track!
my stuff is all aimed at twisties the lanes by me ive had spinning in 3rd at about 85mph on my gti box as it came up the power so i deffo needed more in the diff so this should help a LOT!

as said mines quite mild but if i decide to go higher then i just need to get adjust it maybe get the harder springs (theres 2 or 4 different sets i have 50ft/lbs ones) so on its softest will be my little write up but i think i may get another with 120ft/lbs when i get my 205 built for the hills as they bite in a lot harder and launch better
oh really.....
Old 17th March 2011, 19:43   #13
KamRacing
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Corolla AE86 Peugeot 205 B18C (in bits)
iTrader Score: 16 (100%)
KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!KamRacing is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
well I know fuck all about grippers... so if anyone can enlighten me then please do

All I can say about the quaife is I didn't like it when I drove Yates' on the road, it would torque steer quite aggressively. Not strongly, just quickly, which was a bit unsettling. Presumably grippers are even stronger, judging by the name? I can't think of anything more terrifying in a saxo with 185 hp on a potholed country road, with alex driving it
Its a plate diff as far as I'm aware. Much better than the quaife as the diff works even if one wheel is off the ground. Should be fun!
KamRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 19:49   #14
sexy_gt
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): SUPERCHARGED saxo vts
iTrader Score: 25 (100%)
sexy_gt is on a distinguished road

i am poor and run a quaife. ive seen wheelspin at 70 with it. not sure if it was one wheel, im sure it was.

also 1st time driving in the wet i almost kerbed it. did not expect it to drag me across the road when the wheels lit up

enjoy your new bit
Old 17th March 2011, 20:22   #15
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Remember to keep a good hold of the steering wheel when driving.

My 106 has a Gripper LSD, the Saxo will be getting a Quaife.
Dave_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:38   #16
titchster
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Was:16v 106 XS ..... Now: Import 1.8 MX5
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
titchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the roughtitchster is a jewel in the rough

Keep away from them bastard kerbs!

Nice purchase though fella.
titchster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2011, 20:51   #17
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
Its a plate diff as far as I'm aware. Much better than the quaife as the diff works even if one wheel is off the ground. Should be fun!
Indeed it is a plate diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexy_gt View Post
i am poor and run a quaife. ive seen wheelspin at 70 with it. not sure if it was one wheel, im sure it was.

also 1st time driving in the wet i almost kerbed it. did not expect it to drag me across the road when the wheels lit up

enjoy your new bit
Yea im not planning on pushing hugely in the wet tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
Remember to keep a good hold of the steering wheel when driving.

My 106 has a Gripper LSD, the Saxo will be getting a Quaife.
I will keep hold ive also kept the pas to try and help out with keeping it straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by titchster View Post
Keep away from them bastard kerbs!

Nice purchase though fella.
I plan to keep off kerbs on the road
On track maybe a little rumble isnt a bad thing lol!!
oh really.....
Old 18th March 2011, 09:42   #18
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamRacing View Post
BETTER ??
that all down to type of usage --would not be my choice for a road car/ occasional track day car --a bit to aggresive +expensive for most people .
the big advantage if you are making a real track car and do not mind stripping and readjusting the plate tension every now and then, is the choice of final drive ratios available--but at a price
but that in itself doesn,t make the gap in the ratios in the box any better --
for full track car add a c/r gear kit to it as well, and gear it so max bhp rpm =around 120mph for n/a car at most--then you will never feel its labouring to keep it on the "boil"

for a rally car make max bhp rpm =100mph

lowering your gearing by 40% will give you the effect of 40% more bhp at wheels .as far as acceleration is concerned--so fitting the right gear ratios --will be just as effective as spending alot on getting more bhp ,in lap times (well not quite ) ,but its the first thing you should spend money on
yes you can have wheelspin at any speed --it will be both wheels at 70 mph + wet roads.
the quiafe will only unlock when one wheel is lifted if you back of the throttle ,so if its kerbs on a race track ==keep it under power and it will not unlock --just fly across them

Last edited by axsaxoman; 18th March 2011 at 09:48.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 10:26   #19
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Its only to agressive if you set it that way though
oh really.....
Old 18th March 2011, 11:57   #20
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

If it does not have more locking than a quiafe --then no point in fitting it. and more locking means more torque steer etc,
the turbo ford focus have quiafes fitted as std --not plate type .
I have used 3 different makes of plate difs ZF ,,gripper ,citreon sport ,over the years in ax/106/saxo and 2 types of gear type difs ap suretrack +the quiafe so i have had experience with both types of unit
I am not saying gripper is not a good make ,but I maintain it is not the best all round chioce for a road /occasional trak day car ,thats all

I would certainly suggest you increase castor angle to around 4-5degrees when using a wound up plate dif .
and if going to the cost of this unit go for the BE size splines in the dif+ same at drive flange endin the the hubs as well ,which then means new shafts of course--more grip/snatch is more strain on the rest of the transmission