Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 22nd May 2011, 20:44   #1
jzink
Frequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region Member

Car(s): VTS 190BHP per ton track car for sale! New Qashqai
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
jzink is on a distinguished road
Default Best gearbox for saxo trackcar??

Having spoke to John at GMC then so guys at Mallory park on Saturday realise that my vts ratios/gearbox isn't suited to a track car but cant afford the £1200+ for GMC close ratio box! I have been looking online as have been recommended to use the 106 1.4xsi box as only need car to do 120mph as is fast enough for most uk tracks as don't like silverstone! Also s1 106rallye my car runs 150+ bhp and revs to 7800rpm on vts 15's alloys. have been told different things so wanted advise from people in the know can u just change final drive (5th gear) as lowers all ratios as know my gearbox is in good condition or is it better to swap boxes completely? As then would have to get xsi box reconditioned? My vts box has new bearing seals etc 2 track days ago! Also finally have been given various gearbox codes but I anyone knows or definate what code xsi 1.4 and s1 rally box are! Any advice is appreciated
For sale 190bhp per ton Saxo VTS with dolly/trailor. Newman phase 3cams, remapped by chip wizard ported polished head, 4-1manifold and full magnex system, oil cooler, BMC induction systems with cold air feed. Bilstien group N suspension HR springs, professionally fitted 10point roll cage, harnesses light weight bucket seats, full polycarb windows, fiberglass boot completely stripped off all sound deadening and door skins weighs only 840kg.
jzink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:35   #2
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Save up for a Quaife gear kit/atb diff.

Regardless of which fd you'd otherwise use the o/e "sport" gearset has crap ratios.
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:40   #3
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

an 1.4 xsi box or s1 1.3 rallye box are the best as they have the smallest crown wheel so allows it to pick up a lot faster.

there not real close ratio MA box, it all down to the crown wheel and the teeth on that,

so to get around that with a N/A saxo is to get a box that allows it to be rev faster so to speak so you can get back in the power band faster.
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:43   #4
AndySAXOp
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo's, Corsa (Daily)
iTrader Score: 17 (100%)
AndySAXO is on a distinguished road

have to say if you have not got a ATB diff yet get one of them well worth bit of kit, can fell it just pull you though the corner.

but if i want to get a full gearset from quiafe i would love the dog set
AndySAXO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:59   #5
jzink
Frequent Poster

Can't afford quaiffe and box as is best part of £2k fitted is it worth changing the crown wheel then how much difference will it make? My car performed well at Mallory and surprised me as managed to catch and pass a 106 rallye s1 with 16 valve engine with c2 head and supercharger running 205bhp it had better pull I low down in 2nd due to charger and xsi box but on cam I was quicker and even though he had Tarmac spec coil over suspension and higher spec brakes! He was gutted when realised nine was still an na engine
For sale 190bhp per ton Saxo VTS with dolly/trailor. Newman phase 3cams, remapped by chip wizard ported polished head, 4-1manifold and full magnex system, oil cooler, BMC induction systems with cold air feed. Bilstien group N suspension HR springs, professionally fitted 10point roll cage, harnesses light weight bucket seats, full polycarb windows, fiberglass boot completely stripped off all sound deadening and door skins weighs only 840kg.
Old 24th May 2011, 07:08   #6
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

1400 xsi box

Its the best final drive imo on a 16v and is what a lot on here will agree
14/60 is awesome and not too short for a lot of uk tracks

Also a quaife is more like 1200 not 2k diff 600 build 3/400 depending on where and the box price to start

My gripper came in under 1600 and thats 1100 quid for the diff alone
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2011, 09:39   #7
jzink
Frequent Poster

Sorry meant the quaife with gmc shirt ratio box is £2k can get quaiffe for £550 all in
Old 26th May 2011, 18:52   #8
badwool
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): Gold Boddied Shed
badwool is on a distinguished road

i was wondering this also but seems the xsi boxes are hard to come by
Old 26th May 2011, 19:36   #9
jzink
Frequent Poster

Not as hard as rallye ph1 box but that is to short for me
Old 26th May 2011, 19:43   #10
Steffrallye
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot S2 106 GTi 1.6 16v
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Steffrallye is on a distinguished road

or do what ive done, BE4 gearbox means you have strenght and 205 1.6 GTi internals so that i still have short ratios, BE box was £80. 205 box was free and then the price of some new bearings, think 50
Steffrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 20:08   #11
jzink
Frequent Poster

Whats a be gearbox?
Old 26th May 2011, 20:15   #12
Steffrallye
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth Wales Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot S2 106 GTi 1.6 16v
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Steffrallye is on a distinguished road

A BE gearbox is what 205,picassos,berlingo,C2 and dervs run. Much stronger gearbox than the MA chocolate box and its what all the 205 boys run plus better shafts. You have to make or buy new mounts and clutch cable and driveshaft mind.

A BE4 box is the one that fits the TU block, the others wont. But the standard gearing is to long, thats why ive replaced mine with 1.6 205 gti gearing as this is simlar to 106 s2 rallye ratios.

Last edited by Steffrallye; 26th May 2011 at 20:18.
Steffrallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 11:21   #13
DanGT
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): TVR cerbera, Saxo VTR
DanGT is on a distinguished road

Looks nice that mate, alot of faff if you go through a couple of 'boxes a season tho

Does no-one use the 1.1 gearboxes for the shorter ratios, or are they not man enough?
DanGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 19:53   #14
dannygti
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 gti/ SEAT LCR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
dannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team memberdannygti is a well respected team member

like dave p said, all the "sports" ratios are the same, so not that great for track car with n/a engine. the only way round this problem is a proper gearkit which alters the GEAR RATIOS. all the above just mean changing final drive. will make things better but far from perfect.
Old 28th May 2011, 22:06   #15
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffrallye View Post
A BE gearbox is what 205,picassos,berlingo,C2 and dervs run. Much stronger gearbox than the MA chocolate box and its what all the 205 boys run plus better shafts. You have to make or buy new mounts and clutch cable and driveshaft mind.

A BE4 box is the one that fits the TU block, the others wont. But the standard gearing is to long, thats why ive replaced mine with 1.6 205 gti gearing as this is simlar to 106 s2 rallye ratios.

same scenario as an MA box -------there are no std ratios on any road car that will be anything like correct for a pure track car.
If touring cars with 300bhp use a 6 or 7 speed box and still have topgear flat out at rev limter 8000 at around 135 ,then five speeds with alot higher gearing and half the ghp is never going to give best performance .
its simple drop your ratios by 25% and you 25% more power at wheels ,so a 160bhp car pulls like a 200bhp car with the higher ratios.
c/r gear kit + lsd is worht over 5 secs per lap at knockhill,when compared to a std ratio set-up
Old 31st May 2011, 15:08   #16
c7borg
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
c7borg is on a distinguished road

Dave, just out of interest what final drive do you run with your quaife gearset?

and is the final drive an easy swap out like the 205 gearboxes?
c7borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 12:55   #17
solvi
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo 1600 cup trackday. vw golf iv 150cv. benz
solvi is on a distinguished road
Default 13x59

the BE is the way to go..!!!

but im using the 13x59 reinforced final drive. whith the cup box original box..

its a lot beter than the original box ..in estoril track at the long strait is was made in 4 and now is in 5 ..were was 2 now i can make it on 3..

still nead motor....my car itsnot fast ...i was kiled by a camed 106 8valves??

still not belive...
solvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 13:06   #18
solvi
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo 1600 cup trackday. vw golf iv 150cv. benz
solvi is on a distinguished road
Default 13x59

the BE is the way to go..!!!

but im using the 13x59 reinforced final drive. whith the cup box original box..

its a lot beter than the original box ..in estoril track at the long strait is was made in 4 and now is in 5 ..were was 2 now i can make it on 3..

still nead motor....my car itsnot fast ...i was kiled by a camed 106 8valves??

still not belive...
solvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2011, 07:52   #19
Dave_P
Established Member
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Race: 106 Rallye 16v. Road: Mercedes Vito 120 CDI
Dave_P is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c7borg View Post
Dave, just out of interest what final drive do you run with your quaife gearset?

and is the final drive an easy swap out like the 205 gearboxes?
Me? I run a gripper dog box with gripper s/c FD, the FD was a 4.2 but It should be a 3.9 now allowing around 128mph in 5th @ 9k rpm.
Old 3rd June 2011, 09:17   #20
c7borg
Infrequent Poster
Track / Motorsport PrepEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTR
c7borg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_P View Post
Me? I run a gripper dog box with gripper s/c FD, the FD was a 4.2 but It should be a 3.9 now allowing around 128mph in 5th @ 9k rpm.
Thanks for that..That's quite a bit of kit, are they in the standard casing and I'm guess they're a big step up from the quaife gear sets?
c7borg is offline   Reply With Quote