Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Track / Motorsport Prep'
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Track / Motorsport Prep' This forum is for technical discussions about track / motorsport preparation. Posting rights have restricted to select usergroups. If you wish to contribute to discussions within this forum, request acceptance from the usergroup leader from your User CP.

Old 4th April 2013, 18:35   #61
Sandy309
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 XSi
Sandy309 is on a distinguished road

If you're serious about your engine, get the Peugeot Sport one, it's the best made, works perfectly (I've never had oil surge in any of my TUs, even hillclimbers on super soft slicks going up on two wheels) and it's not that dear for the quality of what you get. We're very well kitted up for making gear like this, but it wouldn't be worth us trying to replicate it. I don't fit their rubber seal, it tends to get cut in half and pieces will head for the pick up strainer!
Otherwise, a simple baffle around the pick up neatly welded in as shown, will take about an hour to make and the reality is, TUs very rarely truly oil surge. The most common killer is excessive sealant getting into the pick up, which is often present with sandwiched baffle kits like the Constella. The welds fracture on that one too, example of one that I saw:

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...1&postcount=27

The pick up of that engine was chock full of black sealant.

Last edited by Sandy309; 4th April 2013 at 18:37.
Sandy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 19:05   #62
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

West Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Supra,civic GL
iTrader Score: 9 (100%)
AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

Ive used 1.5D sump gaskets so i have no sealant on my sump

Thats what constella advised me to do when fitting so sealant issues will be people ignoring that advice
oh really.....
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 20:48   #63
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): N/A 200bhp+ per ton 106 gti
iTrader Score: 28 (97%)
Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!

Fuck sake only ordered a constella one a couple of weeks ago have spent £££'s if i'd of known they were shit i would have got the pugsport one :/ should i try n get a refund and fit a pugsport?

Up The Toon
Jimmy-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 20:54   #64
e8_pqck
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): AX 16v Turbo
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
e8_pqck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Boy View Post
Fuck sake only ordered a constella one a couple of weeks ago have spent £££'s if i'd of known they were shit i would have got the pugsport one :/ should i try n get a refund and fit a pugsport?
was thinking the same. However, i did notice the issue with the trap door clashing and staying open so im surprised they never fixed that - must be an easy fix to reposition it, especially when they were told about it some time ago.
e8_pqck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2013, 21:39   #65
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!AlexB is absolutely fabulous!

I wouldnt say theyre shit

I have one and its serving me well
Its not clashing as far as ive noticed it hasnt got sealant issues ect

Im happy with mine tbh
oh really.....
Old 4th April 2013, 22:11   #66
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region MemberSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!Jimmy-Boy is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
I wouldnt say theyre shit

I have one and its serving me well
Its not clashing as far as ive noticed it hasnt got sealant issues ect

Im happy with mine tbh
know it appeared to look good and fit well, but in all honesty thats not what i brought it for... The link sandy produced is hardly quailty convincing!

Up The Toon
Old 4th April 2013, 22:16   #67
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Theres allways anomolies and things that break

Im not too concerned one broke
It didnt become totally free
And the sump breaking isnt what lead to the engine failiure that was due to the sealant that had been used to fit which rob told me on 3 occasions before i fitted mine to not do

I wont be rushing off to buy a different one tbh
oh really.....
Old 5th April 2013, 09:11   #68
Steph_at_constella
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 205 Evo, S1 Rallye
Steph_at_constella is on a distinguished road

No offence meant here sandy so please don't take it as any.

But whats to say it wasn't broken upon removal? That is a shocking amount of sealant on there, and as Alex says, we advise EVERYONE to use gaskets. To the point that I have no less than 4 sat on my shelf at any one time in case of emergencies.

We fit them to ALL our own 106 engines we build, and have no issues, never had one break on us removing them either. Or in general tbh. Look at the people who have spent masses of money on their engines who use our baffles.

Also please note we supply to MANY OTHER BUILDERS. Most recently Hiflow heads, GMC, Larton Engine Developments, Oval Race Preparation etc etc.

Also the trap door, Opens but not fully, it doesn't need to. It allows the oil into the pick up area but not out, which is what the baffle is designed to do.
Old 5th April 2013, 09:25   #69
wadoryu
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral South Region Member

Car(s): suzuki swift 1.2 sz3
iTrader Score: 10 (100%)
wadoryu is on a distinguished road

This is the best part of this forum, decent advice from proper users, let the debate begin
Old 5th April 2013, 09:40   #70
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): BMW 5x M50d.
iTrader Score: 5 (100%)
Ross is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy309 View Post
If you're serious about your engine, get the Peugeot Sport one, it's the best made, works perfectly (I've never had oil surge in any of my TUs, even hillclimbers on super soft slicks going up on two wheels) and it's not that dear for the quality of what you get. We're very well kitted up for making gear like this, but it wouldn't be worth us trying to replicate it. I don't fit their rubber seal, it tends to get cut in half and pieces will head for the pick up strainer!
Otherwise, a simple baffle around the pick up neatly welded in as shown, will take about an hour to make and the reality is, TUs very rarely truly oil surge. The most common killer is excessive sealant getting into the pick up, which is often present with sandwiched baffle kits like the Constella. The welds fracture on that one too, example of one that I saw:

http://www.106rallyeforum.com/forum2...1&postcount=27

The pick up of that engine was chock full of black sealant.
So sandy what's potentially happened here is the user fitting it used excessive sealant (against Constellas direct advice), fitted it without checking the trap door operation, and at the point of removal it's possible is it not that you broke the welds levering the baffle against the excess sealant. Is that plausible?

And with the greatest of respect, the Constella baffles are in a lot more engines that genuine Peugeot sport items - even if 1% of baffles had a problem you'll see five times as many faults with Constellas one if they sell five times more than Peugeot sport.

All I can say from personal experience is mine has served me fine. It's been on and off three times now, and is protecting an engine that would cost many thousands of pounds to replace. I have piece of mind. But then again - my baffle wasn't fitted by someone who can't follow instructions and is devoid of all common sense...
Old 5th April 2013, 11:51   #71
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

I was thinking about getting a constella one once i have some more money.

Alex where did you get the diesel gasket from? Peugeot? Sounds better than worrying about if sealed the sump ok.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 11:58   #72
Steph_at_constella
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsdvtr View Post
I was thinking about getting a constella one once i have some more money.

Alex where did you get the diesel gasket from? Peugeot? Sounds better than worrying about if sealed the sump ok.
He got them from me and ended up using 4 as he somehow managed to fuck the first two up! haha
Old 5th April 2013, 12:04   #73
Jimmy-Boy
Saxperience Post Whore

Very reassuring posts from both steph and ross, can't wait to get out on track and try it now!

Up The Toon
Old 5th April 2013, 15:17   #74
jsdvtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepNorth West Region Member

Car(s): 2003 vtr/s
jsdvtr is on a distinguished road

Think i may order a constella one towards the end of getting the car running.

Hiow much are the gaskets on there own? May use these rather than sealant allthough ive just fitted it back on haha.
jsdvtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2013, 15:47   #75
Steph_at_constella
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

I do gaskets at £16.50 each.

Good quality none of this falls apart shite you get with some gaskets now
Old 5th April 2013, 16:00   #76
Rossp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport PrepCentral Counties Region MemberContent ContributorSouth East Region MemberEast Anglia Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

FYI - my sump is on with sealant not gaskets. But like I said, was built by a race engine builder not a chef competing in the Great British Bake Off.

If it came off again (and I bloody hope it doesn't have to anytime soon) I'd probably use the paper gaskets myself as I don't know my own limits.
Old 6th April 2013, 06:42   #77
Sandy309
Regular Poster
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): 106 XSi
Sandy309 is on a distinguished road

Each weld is about half an inch long and should be able to take the compressive load of a flat blade screwdriver beneath it, but either way you can clearly see that the breakage is not recent. This engine had a HFH head, which is another story, so possibly supplied by them, I don't have any information on who assembled it. This engine didn't actually fail, but clearly if the other tags had broken free, all hell would have broken lose. There is another case that did result in engine failure, that I know Constella are aware of where the pick up became blocked and in a terrible irony, starved the engine of oil.

The choice thankfully exists and there are clearly people here who believe straw poll statistics override any design or quality issues and that's fine for them and "MANY OTHER BUILDERS", but not for me I'm afraid. Hopefully most people will appreciate this information being given, even if it they don't wish to be guided by it.
Sandy309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 08:18   #78
jpsaxo
Saxperience Post Whore
Track / Motorsport PrepWest Midlands Region MemberEast Midlands Region Member

Car(s): Mango Westcoast
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!jpsaxo is as cool as a cucumber!

I think the term "fit and forget" is best used here. With the pugsport you just fit it and forget about it as its fixed in place and doesn't require sealant which *potentially* could cause issues.

At the end of the day building reliability into an engine build is about removing as many whats,if's and buts as possible - the pugsport does this.

My 2015 Project thread ---> http://www.saxperience.com/forum/sho...202333&page=45
jpsaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2013, 10:49   #79
AlexBp
West Midlands
Track / Motorsport Prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph_at_constella View Post
He got them from me and ended up using 4 as he somehow managed to fuck the first two up! haha
I only fucked up 1
I was trying to be clever and maneuver it round without removing the baffle lol
Bought 2 more so i had a spare
Thats now in the nanaGTI

As for the debate about them
I fit and forgot mine
Pretty sure ross wasnt really checking his
I know at least 4 or 5 people with them and all are ok

Its a case of if theres 5 times more of a product on the market you will see 5 times more failiures
I know of a lot more constella sumps out there than pugsports
It doesnt make them worse

As for this re occuring comments about sealant being the main issue

CONSTELLA SAY DO NOT USE SEALANT USE THE 106 DIESEL SUMP GASKETS
Rob told me several times before i fitted mine to my engine

Tbh i would rather trust constella over other companies ive dealt with
And compared to a sump ive seen done by DES developments i have recipts for over 200 quid for tbh the constella item is a bargain... lol
oh really.....
Old 6th April 2013, 11:27   #80
Rossp
Super Moderator

Yeah it's safe to say mine was fitted, and then forgotten about until this debate came up that's fit and forget surely?

I'm pushing well in excess of 400bhp this year and Its safe to say I've not scrimped on parts. The difference in cost of the Peugeot sport item and the Constella one is negligible.

If I didn't fit a Peugeot sport one correctly I'd not then post up a thread slagging off Peugeot sport Sandy - and I'm a little surprised to see you do that to Constella to be honest.