Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Problems & Queries

Saxo Problems & Queries If you're having problems with your Saxo and you're after a bit of advice, check this forum out...

Old 20th July 2018, 18:59   #1
ptr685

ptr685 is on a distinguished road
Default Saxo vtr cutting out

Hi, can anyone help me with a Saxo VTR Mk2 3 plug ECU 2001 problem. Engine runs fine for 10 or so miles from cold then starts cutting out every 1 to 2 miles. I have changed both the Lambda sensors, Idle control sensor, throttle position sensor and MAF sensor. I can hear the fuel pump priming as i turn on ignition, seems to be ok.
Any ideas. Thanks
ptr685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 19:12   #2
Ben_SaxoForte
Saxperience Forum Bum

Car(s): Mk5 Golf GTTDI Mk2 VTR Project
Ben_SaxoForte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr685 View Post
Hi, can anyone help me with a Saxo VTR Mk2 3 plug ECU 2001 problem. Engine runs fine for 10 or so miles from cold then starts cutting out every 1 to 2 miles. I have changed both the Lambda sensors, Idle control sensor, throttle position sensor and MAF sensor. I can hear the fuel pump priming as i turn on ignition, seems to be ok.
Any ideas. Thanks
possible coilpack issue they seem to have issues when warmed up
Ben_SaxoForte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2018, 20:04   #3
ptr685

Thanks for that i was thinking the same as my next move from my old fashioned days with oil filled coils ha ha
Old 21st July 2018, 00:10   #4
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptr685 View Post
Any ideas. Thanks
These cars don't have a MAF sensor.

This appears to be a temperature related issue.

If it's not the coil pack breaking down with the heat as mentioned above, it's likely to be the coolant temperature sensor. It's the 2 pin blue one on top of the thermostat housing. If that coolant sensor goes open circuit it'll flood the car with fuel - usually triggering a lambda fuel trim error with EML at the same time.

Normally if it is flooded, if you try to restart right away it'll be lazy to fire or need throttle applied to get it going.
Old 21st July 2018, 10:51   #5
ptr685

Thanks, i will try the coil pack today and see how it goes
Old 21st July 2018, 18:38   #6
ptr685

Not the coil pack, still the same. Will try temp sensor next on Monday. Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated, hopefully it will get sorted
Old 21st July 2018, 18:42   #7
ptr685

Slight correction it was a MAP sensor
Old 21st July 2018, 19:21   #8
ptr685

A little more reading and i discovered i have no fuel pressure regulator. The Vtr engine is in an AX, i used the AX fuel tank and the Saxo fuel pump because of the 3.5 bar pressure required for the VTR as opposed to the 2 bar pressure of the 1.0 AX engine. The system i now have has no return pipe but there was a fuel pressure regulator in the Saxo tank under the back seat. Can that be the problem?
Old 21st July 2018, 23:29   #9
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

You should have maybe mentioned this was a conversion... because the AX is nothing like a Saxo in terms of wiring or the fuel system.

There's no way it would ever run right with no regulator, the engine will be flooding because the fuel pump will be pumping whatever maximum pressure it can supply all the time. you MUST fit a regulator with return in the tank (as the original VTR had fitted) for a single line fuel system to work.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:01   #10
ptr685

Thanks Martin, sorry not to mention it was a conversion, but essentially it is a saxo with full wiring loom, running gear, instrument panel etc, but no FPR ha ha ha (missed that bit)
Am i right in thinking i can tee of the fuel feed line back to an after market FPR and back to the return on the fuel pump, the FPR will be an adjustable one from whats available but that will be ok, i can set it at 3.5 bar. The original as i remember was set in the fuel tank, i thought it was some kind of breather, silly me. thanks again
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:18   #11
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

Oh i see so it's had the interior loom swapped over as well then... well that's ideal then

Yeah man you can plumb it that way with an aftermarket one!

Standard one would probably be worn out anyway, at least you know it'll be 3.5 bar.
Old 23rd July 2018, 17:53   #12
ptr685

Good on ya Martin, i will keep you posted and thanks again for your help. Maybe this is the week it will run ha ha ha ha
Old 24th July 2018, 17:35   #13
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

I just give up on problems with petrol Saxo/106 these days! My GTi has been sat for a year with an electrical fault I can't find - well I think it's the ECU but I'm pretty tight so not buying another ECU.

Diesel for me. so much easier.
Old 31st July 2018, 21:07   #14
ptr685

Sorted, proper VTR regulator but unfortunately had to replace the fuel pump as well. Poor thing probably was semi fried from to much work, hence the braking down after 15/20 mins. At first i did not have the vacuum set up so took the edge off the power, but solved the reliability problem, now i have the vacuum sorted we are all whistles and bells. Thanks Martin and Ben for the help. MOT in the morning, fingers crossed
Old 31st July 2018, 21:28   #15
ptr685

Good luck with the Diesel Martin, who knows, i may be asking you a question on diesel conversion in 12 mths ha ha ha ha.
I must say an AX from 1.0 engine to 1.6 and saxo suspension brakes etc is cool. It's still can drive like a 1.0 ax, it can cruise with 5 gears instead of 4, it goes around corners as if on rails, stops very quick, but the secret weapon is it should piss off a lot of BMW drivers when they cut me up ha ha ha ha.
As for safety ABS, traction control, reverse parking sensors, airbag etc, its built into my head, as for power steering, i have arms and they come with an added bonus, i can wind the windows up to ha ha ha. Take care guys and thanks for help
Old 31st July 2018, 22:22   #16
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum

No worries man.

Turbo diesel will easily manage 120hp and it's really cheap to do. just thought I'd mention that

My power steering died 2 days ago, so I'm back to having a car with no PAS. A car is only as safe as the driver and the drivers around it.
Old 1st August 2018, 16:37   #17
ptr685

Very true, my sentiments exactly. This little car has been brilliant as a 1.0, a challenge to drive and keep up with traffic. I think i can be lazy now with saxo set up but still enjoy my little car. True re-cycling i say, never throw it away, by the tools to fix it. Nice to meet you Martin and i am interested in diesel, its all i ever had until this car came along 8 years ago, VW TDI PD engine i thought was a ground breaker, fantastic. Good luck and thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to ptr685 For This Useful Post:
Old 3rd September 2018, 22:13   #18
ptr685

Hello again, today is a good day, new MOT so passed the emissions eventually. Had to change the Cat. All figures read well so hope the Cat is not masking an on going problem and we get back here in 12 mths time. Donor car did seem to use a lot of fuel, we will see
The Following User Says Thank You to ptr685 For This Useful Post: