Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Engine/Performance
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Engine/Performance If you're interested in tuning Saxo engines, or if you need to know something which is engine related... this is the place for you.

Old 28th June 2006, 16:04   #41
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): MK1 - 1.1 Animal
iTrader Score: 19 (95%)
Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

Dont start being stupid Ad! This is a serious and good thread to read! No sarcasm. Just interested as i dont know much about engines. If you had cams and all that, would it be worth having an induction kit, as it doesnt really add much power if any at all
Yates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 16:11   #42
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

my apoligies yatesy - there was some sense in the previous post somewhere

I know very little about it too, i just understand the principles of engines, material sciences and fluid flows. so it does come to some use in this likkle forum

The induction kit would allow better flow through less pressure along the intake (thus more air). but benefits on our type of engines are hardly noticable.
enclosed rather than cold air feed or open will offer some performance enhancements. whereas as an open or open with a cold air feed is likely not to.

However when you start adding bigger mods for instance... cams, turbos, that sort of thing the less restricted flow offered by an induction kit begins to make sense.
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 16:21   #43
Andyt
Established Member

Car(s): 16v powered furio.
Andyt has a spectacular aura aboutAndyt has a spectacular aura aboutAndyt has a spectacular aura about

You won't need an induction kit if you are going super or turbocharged, remember the "charged air" usually goes throught the cooler before entering the cylinders.
Old 28th June 2006, 16:23   #44
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth West Region MemberWest Midlands Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!Yates is absolutely fabulous!

No apology required!

Just curious to know what some people would do, i mean if you have 3k or somethin to put into a vts engine what would you do?
Old 28th June 2006, 16:46   #45
Ratty
Established Member

Ratty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the rough

ha ha at neons. adsayer you work with metals or a chemist or something?

bottom ends on saxos are fine for power, on charged cars its only the pistons that go and thats because of the heat, if you treated the tops of the pistons id dare say they would last, but with forgies and correct fueling they bottom end is indestructable.
Old 28th June 2006, 16:59   #46
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Ratty, just the man, could you help me?

Just wondering what would be the best way to mod an engine from standard? Dont really know much about this, and if you have a clue on prices for each one that could help please. Not interested in turbo/sc tho
Old 28th June 2006, 17:02   #47
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!Barry123 is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty
ha ha at neons. adsayer you work with metals or a chemist or something?
No dude - I'm doing a Masters in Aerospace Engineering so I tend to learn about...

Material Science
Structures
Thermodynamics
Fluid Dynamics
that sort of shite.
to name a few

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyt84
You won't need an induction kit if you are going super or turbocharged, remember the "charged air" usually goes throught the cooler before entering the cylinders.
True, but the filter is a rather largish restriction in the flow of air into the engine. It goes without saying that the air should go through an intercooler in order to maximise the benefits offered by a turbo.

Turbos spin at some truely daft rpm's (around 140,000 rpm - my father reckons there is some 200,000rpm turbos around but they arent commericial products). They can get proper hot which will heat any air passing through it - hot air bad excetera excetera...

Last edited by Barry123; 28th June 2006 at 17:06.
Old 28th June 2006, 17:09   #48
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!

Would anyone object to a Thread about 'the ultimate dream saxo' in terms of pure performance? And keeping it realistic so only using available parts, I can keep the front page updated based on peoples arguements for and against.

yes?
Old 28th June 2006, 17:18   #49
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Matt for an answer need to know a budget, what are you looking for? Is it going to be a daily driver? Kept off road etc...

So many ways to mod the engine but if you have an end goal of turbo/supercharger then no point adding mega cams just now as it will negate some of the turbo/supercharger with them

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 18:12   #50
Ratty
Established Member

Ratty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the roughRatty is a jewel in the rough

air filter is very important on turbo and on a na car as well actually, as the air the turbo produces is sucked from the intake on the turbo so you need to route it so it gets cold air and also so the filter isnt a restrictive type as if it cannot get enough airflow it will starve the turbo.
Old 28th June 2006, 19:18   #51
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Well say if you had 2/3k to spend on the engine Scott.

Kind of a daily driver! Just thinking i could play with the engine and use the money i save up when im away at sea, but i would drive it when im back, but i would like to take it on track and that
Old 28th June 2006, 19:46   #52
mike_vts
Regular Poster
Central South Region Member

mike_vts is on a distinguished road

found this a while ago
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705781
Old 28th June 2006, 19:48   #53
mike_vts
Regular Poster

over 400 with nos
Old 28th June 2006, 19:50   #54
mike_vts
Regular Poster

lol read it wrong thats torgue still i wouldnt grumble havin that much power
Old 29th June 2006, 08:14   #55
WestyVTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo VTR, Clio 1.2 turbo, prious, Kawasaki 363 nin
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
WestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of light

If i remember rightly that car runs on Aviation fuel....!

its mental!!

WestyVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 09:25   #56
Scottp
Administrator

Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yate5y
Well say if you had 2/3k to spend on the engine Scott.

Kind of a daily driver! Just thinking i could play with the engine and use the money i save up when im away at sea, but i would drive it when im back, but i would like to take it on track and that
Ok, basic turbo at carworx is 3k ish, throttle bodies and a wild cam are also an option for that kind of money.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Old 29th June 2006, 10:30   #57
WestyVTR
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): saxo VTR, Clio 1.2 turbo, prious, Kawasaki 363 nin
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
WestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of lightWestyVTR is a glorious beacon of light

IMO Tbs would be better for day to day running too....

WestyVTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 13:08   #58
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

I dont really want to think about a turbo...YET!

I like the idea of TB's

Im thinking (bare in mind i dont have a clue!):

Enclosed Filter
Polished Head (what does this do? is it worth it?)
Forged Pistons (same as above!)
Manifold
Exhaust Decat
Cams
TB's
Remap

Would you do it in that order? What order would you do it in?
If i were to take it to a place like Carworx, could they do most of those mods at the same time? Would that be advisable? Or would you just go for one or two at a time? Is there anything ive missed off the list that you would consider?
Old 29th June 2006, 13:11   #59
Yates
Saxperience Hardcore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer
Would anyone object to a Thread about 'the ultimate dream saxo' in terms of pure performance? And keeping it realistic so only using available parts, I can keep the front page updated based on peoples arguements for and against.

yes?
Do it add, more people in here, the more i can pick up and learn about engine and mods!
Old 29th June 2006, 13:24   #60
Scottp
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yate5y
Enclosed Filter
Manifold
Exhaust Decat
Cams
Remap

Thats the start point for you. BUT if you want TB's then get it all done at the same time. IF your wanting to go with the TB's then standalone management is necessary, desirable would be wild cams, forged high compression pistons. Larger valve head would be good to but starts to get expensive.

Having the cams, exhaust, filter, manifold and remap should see you at 150ish at the fly. If you are serious about TB's though its best to have a plan before you start as you could save some money along the way instead of repeating things