Mobile Devices: Lite Theme CitroŽn: CitroŽn Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience


Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2011, 22:08   #61
Barry123
Saxperience Hardcore!
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorCentral South Region MemberNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member
 
Barry123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Aycliffe
Posts: 32,204
Car(s): Saxo VTS
iTrader Score: 7 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
You can get Macs and Windows based computers that use exactly the same CPU's from Intel, thats why you can install Windows on the Intel based Macs because they use the same hardware.

Also forgot to consider than on Windows you can overclock the CPU to increase the clock speed which you can't do on a Mac so actually if you run two identical systems, one Mac OSX and the other Windows the Windows machine will have more processing power and would also be cheaper.
I think you can oc the mac (since as you say it's the same hardware) I've not done it but one of the nerds in the office has apparently. But because of all that white packaging there's bog all space for decent cooling so higher OC's can be attained in the pc rather than the mac. I've Oc'd mine to 4.6 GHz now... going to push for 4.8GHz once I've established the cooler can take it
Barry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 02:37   #62
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member
 
baker556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 4,829
Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
I doubt that.



Windows is a software company for starters, they don't manufacture computers. Then I'm not sure if Ryyy's laptop compares with my dual 6 core when it comes to using Reason 5. Then when I open Reason 5, it's always rewired into Logic pro, while I usually also have a bunch of other audio/video software running at the same time. All in studio quality high definition sound (24bit/96 khz). Then I've not seen a PC, windows based running on nehalem technology.
Manc seriously mate your being very narrow minded Nehalem is a name of a processor from the intel i7 microarchitecture, a pc can run an i7 processor.

Can't say i've heard of a Nehalem processor in 6 dual core form, thought it was a quad core processor. Do you mean the westmere.

Lol worthy @ the Reason 5 comment, i downloaded it for a mate and put it on his 7 year old Advent laptop and it managed to run it.

My Asus Mobo has high definition sound built in, i've not used it don't need to, i also have a creative sound blaster Fatal1ty thats 192 kHz - 24-bit so actually better than yours.

Windows and Mac don't make the components, their the same in that aspect however Mac design there own and wack on a bill.
__________________
><
baker556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 08:56   #63
Manu
Saxperience Addict
 
Manu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11,578
Car(s): yes hmmm
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
Also forgot to consider than on Windows you can overclock the CPU to increase the clock speed which you can't do on a Mac so actually if you run two identical systems, one Mac OSX and the other Windows the Windows machine will have more processing power and would also be cheaper.
and you forgot to do a little bit of research before typing this nonsense.

Quote:
Can't say i've heard of a Nehalem processor in 6 dual core form, thought it was a quad core processor. Do you mean the westmere.
Native six-core Gulftown and ten-core Westmere-EX processors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
I've got an X-fi... it can do 24 bit 192 kHz
you. Door, now

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker556 View Post
Lol worthy @ the Reason 5 comment, i downloaded it for a mate and put it on his 7 year old Advent laptop and it managed to run it.
I doubt you read what I said before at all. I believe you're skimming through, and cutting corners for the sake of having an argument. If you're saying a 7 year old laptop can actually run Reason 5, then I'm saying you're full of shit. It will probably start, but beyond that you will get the "unsufficient CPU" window. Get out, you and your petty comments.

Last edited by Manu; 19th July 2011 at 09:02.
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 09:52   #64
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Macs are faster for the simple reason of the operating system it uses the systems ram and processor more efficientley windows are very sluggy while running many programmes. I garuntee you any pc while running pro tools will fail at least once. and macs arnt just a niche market for music, why do you think businesses use them for the applications made for them they are very efficent and work far better than any pc programmes. web designers use them graphics designers, and your every day joe bloggs, yes they are expensive but if you can afford them im sorry i think it was bound who said your computer will dick on any mac. No chance it just wont. and with regards to hacking its not that people dont write code for macs its because they cant, its based on an old linux code which cannot get a virus, there has still to this day been no major virus trojan on a mac. FACT!
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:45   #65
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member
 
Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chelmsford
Posts: 8,662
Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Default

Download 3Dmark06 (if you can even get it for mac *snigger*), install it, run it, post the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankay View Post
and with regards to hacking its not that people dont write code for macs its because they cant, its based on an old linux code which cannot get a virus, there has still to this day been no major virus trojan on a mac. FACT!
That's not a fact, that's just wrong. That's like saying if you use firefox instead of IE you won't get a virus because most viruses are written for IE. However viruses do exist for macs, it wouldn't be beyond belief that this assertion is due to over confidence in apples pitiful OS market share to avoid worthwhile interest from such writers.
__________________

Last edited by Bound; 19th July 2011 at 15:05.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 16:40   #66
Brenz
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayle, Cornwall
Posts: 401
Car(s): Saxo Desire 1.1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankay View Post
and with regards to hacking its not that people dont write code for macs its because they cant, its based on an old linux code which cannot get a virus, there has still to this day been no major virus trojan on a mac. FACT!
Really?

Thats strange because this OSX Anti-Virus company has a list of 116 threats including Trojans.

Clicky Clicky

And after a bit of digging through Apples very unspecific system requirements, the latest version of OSX requires a 1.6 Ghz processor to run. Windows 7 only requires 1Ghz. So a Windows system actually uses less processing power than a Mac to run.
Brenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 18:18   #67
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
Really?

Thats strange because this OSX Anti-Virus company has a list of 116 threats including Trojans.

Clicky Clicky

And after a bit of digging through Apples very unspecific system requirements, the latest version of OSX requires a 1.6 Ghz processor to run. Windows 7 only requires 1Ghz. So a Windows system actually uses less processing power than a Mac to run.
LOL iantivirus is shite! free software its junk i wouldnt belive any of that. And it is fact its plain and simple there has not been any one virus that can access peoples data and remotley control it and look through everything unlike viruses can on a pc end of.
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 18:21   #68
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
Download 3Dmark06 (if you can even get it for mac *snigger*), install it, run it, post the results.



That's not a fact, that's just wrong. That's like saying if you use firefox instead of IE you won't get a virus because most viruses are written for IE. However viruses do exist for macs, it wouldn't be beyond belief that this assertion is due to over confidence in apples pitiful OS market share to avoid worthwhile interest from such writers.
LOL again 3dmark is a pc derived programme soley made for pc so why an earth would i want to download it silly boy
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 18:42   #69
Brenz
Regular Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hayle, Cornwall
Posts: 401
Car(s): Saxo Desire 1.1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankay View Post
LOL iantivirus is shite! free software its junk i wouldnt belive any of that. And it is fact its plain and simple there has not been any one virus that can access peoples data and remotley control it and look through everything unlike viruses can on a pc end of.
You mean like Spyware:OSX/OpinionSpy which scans all accessible files and can send data to a remote server ?

Not sure how you can call free software junk. Many programs available online are free. iTunes is free, VLC media player is Free, Steam is free and most people use a free version of Anti-Virus. Stating that software is shit because its free is just stupid.

Also found another list of threats for OSX. Clicky
Brenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 19:27   #70
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member
 
Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chelmsford
Posts: 8,662
Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankay View Post
LOL again 3dmark is a pc derived programme soley made for pc so why an earth would i want to download it silly boy
Because it would benchmark your mac with performance figures so we could test your amazing macs hardware .
__________________
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 19:53   #71
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenz View Post
You mean like Spyware:OSX/OpinionSpy which scans all accessible files and can send data to a remote server ?

Not sure how you can call free software junk. Many programs available online are free. iTunes is free, VLC media player is Free, Steam is free and most people use a free version of Anti-Virus. Stating that software is shit because its free is just stupid.

Also found another list of threats for OSX. Clicky
VLC is free yes and its very good granted but that anti virus programme isnt worth having. No offence to you but thats the worst ever website its a complete scam asking you to phone up etc, none of it is plausable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
Because it would benchmark your mac with performance figures so we could test your amazing macs hardware .
I know how good my hardware is? amazing graphics thanks and what about good old plain sturdyness? want me to drop your plastic pc downstairs? ive dropped my mac all the way down my stairs and literally only have a small dink. Im just making my case btw not arguing with anyone
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 20:31   #72
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member
 
Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chelmsford
Posts: 8,662
Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Default

Typical mac owner - good test though LOL. "My computer can fall down the stairs better than your computer".. I just don't drop my PC down the stairs.

If you can't figure out a method for benchmarking your hardware I'll assume you're talking shit about the performance . Because otherwise - how can you know. You can't, you need the figures to back it up.
__________________

Last edited by Bound; 19th July 2011 at 20:36.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bound For This Useful Post:
Old 19th July 2011, 20:41   #73
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Firstly i said about dropping it down the stairs to show how much better its design is another key aspect. Figures mean shit. same with cars, 0-60 etc. Its all about real world tests. I can GARUNTEE YOU i could run more programmes than your pc and ANY macbook pro will not slow at all. its just plan facts. figures mean shite. Go in to a mac store go to one of the huge 27 inch display's they have, and load every application on there including logic pro as these systems have pretty much all software on them. I bet you it will not slow down.
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 21:41   #74
Jackman
Saxperience Addict
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth Wales Region Member
 
Jackman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 11,235
Car(s): iTB 205 Rallye, 205 STDT.
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
Default

I bought my Mac cos it looks cool !

Performance means shit to me!
__________________
Powered by ASDevelopments.
Jackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 23:30   #75
haz_pro
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 5,129
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankay View Post
and what about good old plain sturdyness? want me to drop your plastic pc downstairs? ive dropped my mac all the way down my stairs and literally only have a small dink.
Lol, what a retarded comment.

My computer is better then yours because it can fall down the stairs. How about not being a retard instead?
haz_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to haz_pro For This Useful Post:
Old 19th July 2011, 23:54   #76
CraigLovelock
Saxperience Forum Bum
 
CraigLovelock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Soton - Hedge End
Posts: 3,143
Car(s): TT 225, Charged Eunos
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
Default

Love my mac. Got an 07 13" in white.

Runs amazingly and dont think ill be going back to windows anytime soon.
CraigLovelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 11:34   #77
smittytom
Established Member
 
smittytom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 1,366
Car(s): 1)Posi Blue Westie 2)172
iTrader Score: 2 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsayer View Post
I've got an X-fi... it can do 24 bit 192 kHz

Okay trump card time
I can open my pc and swap the processor, graphics card, mobo etc for a newer one... on the mac, I can put in another stick of ram
Duh should of bought a Mac Pro.
Tbh you can faff with mac's a little more than that but it does void your warranty.
smittytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 13:20   #78
Bound
Saxperience Post Whore
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member
 
Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chelmsford
Posts: 8,662
Car(s): 8 Valve 'R.
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Default

Figures mean shite? That sounds like something someone who knew they would lose the argument would say.

What other scientific way of measuring something is there? Or do apple have their own 'science' (brainwash) .

"Figures mean shit. same with cars, 0-60 etc. Its all about real world tests."

Why do we have Ferrari's then? Why doesn't everyone drive a Nissan Micra? That makes no sense.. Clearly figures do matter, if a Ferrari does 60 in 3 seconds and a Ford Focus does it in 10 the Ferrari is faster, how is that not relevant. I think your analogy is shit. Unfortunately in this analogy a mac is equivalent to the Ferrari price tag with Micra performance .
__________________

Last edited by Bound; 20th July 2011 at 17:26.
Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 15:17   #79
baker556
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepSouth East Region Member
 
baker556's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 127.0.0.1
Posts: 4,829
Car(s): oem+ sax
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
I doubt you read what I said before at all. I believe you're skimming through, and cutting corners for the sake of having an argument. If you're saying a 7 year old laptop can actually run Reason 5, then I'm saying you're full of shit. It will probably start, but beyond that you will get the "unsufficient CPU" window. Get out, you and your petty comments.
How are they petty, its a debate at the end of the day with facts. Seriously not cutting any corners or skim reading, i'm just replying back to your comment.

'get out' why get all raved up because your 2k mac doesn't have a better sound card than my pc.

I like macs, there screens are excellent along with minimal surroundings and clever design, there also very quiet. I just can't stand people being so narrow minded that macs are so much better than a pc. I don't mind the software as i like linux alot but after a while when you want a more personal feel you refer back to pc, as it can do more.

It was Reason 5, it was on an advent laptop, intel centrino single core 1.6ghz 2GB RAM. It worked think recording was slow and yes did use the full cpu load, he still used it.

From the Reason website requirements:

Windows
Intel Pentium 4/AMD Athlon or better
1GB RAM
DVD drive
Windows XP SP3, Vista or Windows 7
2 GB free hard disk space
Monitor with 1024x768 resolution or larger
A 16 bit Windows compatible audio card, preferably with an ASIO driver
A MIDI interface and a MIDI keyboard recommended

Dont think a mac is needed here...
__________________
><
baker556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 18:07   #80
Frankay
Established Member
 
Frankay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cardiff
Posts: 1,095
Car(s): Saxo Vts x2 Audi TDI a fair few others.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz_pro View Post
Lol, what a retarded comment.

My computer is better then yours because it can fall down the stairs. How about not being a retard instead?
How is it a retarded comment, your a retard if you cannot grasp what im saying. Im just describing how its build quality is much superior to a PC in everyway all pc's are plastic shite. Go buy yourself a mac stop being a cheapskate youl soon see why they are better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound View Post
Figures mean shite? That sounds like something someone who knew they would lose the argument would say.

What other scientific way of measuring something is there? Or do apple have their own 'science' (brainwash) .

"Figures mean shit. same with cars, 0-60 etc. Its all about real world tests."

Why do we have Ferrari's then? Why doesn't everyone drive a Nissan Micra? That makes no sense.. Clearly figures do matter, if a Ferrari does 60 in 3 seconds and a Ford Focus does it in 10 the Ferrari is faster, how is that not relevant. I think your analogy is shit. Unfortunately in this analogy a mac is equivalent to the Ferrari price tag with Micra performance .
Hahah you talk some shit tbf on about scientists? and stop going on about figures boy thats all you do. My mac will outperform your computer end of. And people like you have used a mac once gone oh i cant use this because i wont give it the time of the day so you dont like them.
And argument? you think this is what this is haha pathetic its called a debate, actually its a poll people give opinions.
Frankay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36.