Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security

Saxo In Car Entertainment (ICE) & Security This forum should be used to chat about all things relating to in-car entertainment...

Old 10th September 2009, 19:26   #1
Saxotim
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 172 Cup, Mk2 VTR
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Saxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant future
Default Amp cutting out.

Right i've got a JBL 75.4 and its all wired up correctly and working but when i turn volume up over 30 on the HU it will work for 5 mins or so and then cut out for a second then work for 10 secs then cut out for 10 again.
When I turn the volume down to 28 though all is well and good.

I thought it was a power problem because I'd wired it with 10 gauge and iv now replaced that with 4 gauge but the problem is still there

Anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I was thinking maybe the ground wire isnt large enough? Any help welcome
Old 10th September 2009, 19:34   #2
reevesy_vtr
Saxperience Forum Bum
South East Region MemberEast Anglia Region Member

Car(s): Merc E320 sport estate (the kids made me do it)
reevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to beholdreevesy_vtr is a splendid one to behold

try disconnecting 1 speaker at a time as it could be down to a blown or blowing speaker.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:07   #3
Saxotim
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

Saxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant futureSaxotim has a brilliant future

ill try that, although theyre only a couple of weeks old, SPL SD-5.2, and a JBL GT-5.

Ill check all my wiring to the speakers etc tomorrow night.
Old 12th September 2009, 19:11   #4
Saxotim
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

iv had a play about with it today and it only cuts out when both the sub and comps are plugged in.

with only comps or sub running its fine.
noticed that the protect LED comes on when it cuts out though.

i think it might be a grounding problem cos iv only got a really small ground wire, anyone think replacing this with a larger gauge would be beneficial?
Old 12th September 2009, 19:22   #5
MikeYost
Saxperience Forum Bum
West Midlands Region Member

iTrader Score: 20 (100%)
MikeYost is on a distinguished road

its possible your subs n comps are wanting too much power from the amp.. im not 100% sure how it all works but it might be your amp isnt powerful enough for the kit youve got.. if you can get hold of a higher watt amp and test it, isnt a lot of hassle to swap a few wires over
(ive most likely made a mistake in wording or something.. but basically the subs etc need more juice than the amp can give :L)

it wont hurt to get a larger gauge ground wire in any case mate

Last edited by MikeYost; 12th September 2009 at 19:27.
MikeYost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 19:31   #6
Saxotim
Saxperience Forum Bum
Yorkshire Region Member

the amp is slightly overpowering both the speakers and the sub mate.

104RMS into comps rated at 75RMS
294RMS into sub rated at 250RMS both iirc.

ill buy a larger ground wire when i get paid or chop some off the power wire cos its way too long anyway.
Old 21st September 2009, 01:41   #7
dimitri
Infrequent Poster

iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
dimitri is on a distinguished road

yea its either that its not grounded properly or the amp isnt getting enough power ie when you turn it up its draining more power than the battery can supply in which case you need a more suitable battery or a power capacitor
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote