Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Citroen Saxo Related Forums > Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Saxo Brakes / Suspension / Transmission / Tyres If you have queries or information to share regarding Saxo braking, suspension, tyres or transmission systems, please discuss this within this forum.

Old 11th December 2017, 22:41   #1
Bodeka
L-plater

Bodeka is on a distinguished road
Default Hand and foot brake gone soft

At the same time, both my brake and my handbrake have gone. The handbrake has to be pulled right to the top to be engaged, and the foot brake has suddenly gone so spongy. Prior to this both were completely fine, this hasn't been a gradual change at all, they both went at the same time but I doubt they're related. Any ideas people? I'm new to cars so sorry for the noob questions.

Annoying as I had my MOT booked for Wednesday and it expires on Friday. Cheers all.
Bodeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 07:58   #2
gti180craig
Regular Poster

Car(s): Saxo vtr turbo
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
gti180craig has a spectacular aura aboutgti180craig has a spectacular aura about

Check your brake fluid level as for the handbrake do u have drums or discs on the rear
gti180craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2017, 15:51   #3
stevo67
Saxperience Hardcore!

Car(s): Ex saxo owner.
stevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud ofstevo67 has much to be proud of

With your ignition off,pump the brake pedal it should get hard.If not come back & will advise.
stevo67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2017, 15:45   #4
Bodeka
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo67 View Post
With your ignition off,pump the brake pedal it should get hard.If not come back & will advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gti180craig View Post
Check your brake fluid level as for the handbrake do u have drums or discs on the rear
Sorry for the poor replies both of you. Brake fluid level is fine, and I'll have a look tomorrow for the drum vs discs. And stevo, the brake pedal is as soft as when it is turned on. Cheers for your help. I'm trying my hardest to learn about cars so don't want to take it to the mechanic.
Old 20th December 2017, 18:25   #5
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

If you've got drums on the back it sounds to me like the auto adjuster ratchet has slipped or is jammed. If the shoes are stuck retracted that will give you extra pedal travel and a "spongy" feel.

A new set of shoes will sort it.

Don't try to un-stick it. if it's already jammed you'll only be putting off the inevitable.

With a disc axle they dont often "suddenly" go because they have no ratchet mechanism, the only adjustment is the nut under the handbrake lever under the floor of the car.

Last edited by MartinObviously; 20th December 2017 at 18:28.
MartinObviously is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2017, 08:38   #6
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

carefully clamp the flexible hoses at front --then back and try pedal --if its hard when back is clamped off --remove drums and find the problem
even better if you have 4 clamps then you can rule out master cylinder problem -with all 4 flexis clamped pedal should be like standing on a brick--remove one at a time to find offending wheel
Old 21st December 2017, 16:56   #7
Bodeka
L-plater

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
If you've got drums on the back it sounds to me like the auto adjuster ratchet has slipped or is jammed. If the shoes are stuck retracted that will give you extra pedal travel and a "spongy" feel.

A new set of shoes will sort it.

Don't try to un-stick it. if it's already jammed you'll only be putting off the inevitable.

With a disc axle they dont often "suddenly" go because they have no ratchet mechanism, the only adjustment is the nut under the handbrake lever under the floor of the car.
Thanks, I'll have a look for that. You say for disc axles the nut is under the handbrake. To my understanding despite these problems happening at the same time they aren't related, is that still the case? Does the nut just happen to be close to the handbrake?

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
carefully clamp the flexible hoses at front --then back and try pedal --if its hard when back is clamped off --remove drums and find the problem
even better if you have 4 clamps then you can rule out master cylinder problem -with all 4 flexis clamped pedal should be like standing on a brick--remove one at a time to find offending wheel
Thanks, I read online about the master cylinder but didn't know how to determine if it is the culprit.
Old 22nd December 2017, 09:46   #8
axsaxoman
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepContent Contributor

axsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really niceaxsaxoman is just really nice

on disc brake axle only

h/brake mech should be self adjusting --cable adjustment is secondary
there is a self adjusting mech in each caliper to keep pads at correct postion
look at back of caliper where cable connects --the quadrant should be fully back against a stop pin in the caliper.
that is where it needs to be before any adjustment of cable--
correct adjustment of cable is 4 notchs to lock wheel --any tighter and it can cause adjuster not to work or rear wheel to lock when going over bumps --cos cable effective length alters --quadrants must be back against stops --even after cable adjustment when h/brake is off

Last edited by axsaxoman; 22nd December 2017 at 09:49.
axsaxoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 12:51   #9
welshpug
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): ZX 16v, 205 GTI, 309 Goodwood, 405 MI16.
welshpug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinObviously View Post
they have no ratchet mechanism, the only adjustment is the nut under the handbrake lever under the floor of the car.
totally wrong, as pointed out above.

there is a self adjusting mechanism inside the piston, the nut on the handbrake lever is purely to adjust out the slack from the cables not for adjusting the brakes.
welshpug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2017, 21:57   #10
MartinObviously
Saxperience Forum Bum
Track / Motorsport PrepScotland Region Member

Car(s): Peugeot 106 1.1 Turbo Peugeot 106 1.5D Turbo Peuge
MartinObviously is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axsaxoman View Post
on disc brake axle only

h/brake mech should be self adjusting --cable adjustment is secondary
there is a self adjusting mech in each caliper to keep pads at correct postion
look at back of caliper where cable connects --the quadrant should be fully back against a stop pin in the caliper.
that is where it needs to be before any adjustment of cable--
correct adjustment of cable is 4 notchs to lock wheel --any tighter and it can cause adjuster not to work or rear wheel to lock when going over bumps --cos cable effective length alters --quadrants must be back against stops --even after cable adjustment when h/brake is off
I adjusted my cable so the arm on the caliper just starts to move, then back the nut off half a turn so it seats against its stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshpug View Post
totally wrong, as pointed out above.

there is a self adjusting mechanism inside the piston, the nut on the handbrake lever is purely to adjust out the slack from the cables not for adjusting the brakes.
No need for your input then.