Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music
Register Member Photo AlbumsBlogs FAQ Calendar Experience

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 8th May 2011, 23:11   #1
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 1989 Golf GTi Clipper
iTrader Score: 74 (100%)
craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!
Default DJ Help...

OK dudes and dudettes, after 3 years retired I've finally agreed (after feeling some pressure) to return to DJing at a regular spot.

Situation is I still have my Pioneer CDJ1000II's and DJM500 mixer which I'll be taking out with me with several cases of CD's but for additional tunes I'll also be taking out a laptop for downloading tracks upon request etc.

Now, option 1 is to use the laptop to download, rip to CD, then enabling me to use/beatmatch on the Pioneers, but this involves carrying blank CDs and a pen with me.

The other option is to use software to adjust the speed on the laptop, ready for a beat sync that allows on the fly adjustments, and output to a 4rd input on the mixer.

If I go for the latter, what software is available that will allow me to do this?

PLEASE NOTE - I DO NOT WANT ANY BEAT MATCH SOFTWARE OR CHEATING CRAP! The Pioneers will always be the primary source where possible!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw1325 View Post
I heard a prick with a quiff stays there.
craig180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 00:05   #2
saxostuart
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): red 1.0 wonder
iTrader Score: 3 (100%)
saxostuart has a spectacular aura aboutsaxostuart has a spectacular aura about

As much as im against it, laptops are handy, all the djing software i have come across does have a beat match function but it is able to be disabled.keepin it real!!

Look into timecode cd's, dont know if you have herd of them buy anyways......a cd into the cdj, the pitch this cd runs at is the speed the mp3 plays (id you can beatmatch, cue, nudge forward etc etc

You will need a usb or firewire sound card with more ports as a laptop will not have enough audio inputs and outputs
(need 2 inputs from the decks, then 2 out to the mixer)

Hope this helps

If you want the virtual dj software with all add ons, skins, effects etc pm me

Hope this helps
Stuart
saxostuart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saxostuart For This Useful Post:
Old 9th May 2011, 00:08   #3
saxostuart
Established Member
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): red 1.0 wonder
saxostuart has a spectacular aura aboutsaxostuart has a spectacular aura about

This gives you an idea
saxostuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2011, 09:12   #4
adamsax
Saxperience Forum Bum
Central South Region MemberYorkshire Region MemberNorth West Region Member

Car(s): MK1 VTS
adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!adamsax is as cool as a cucumber!

Serato ftw Craig.
adamsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2011, 16:15   #5
Jam3s
Regular Poster

Car(s): Mk1 VTR - VTS conversion
iTrader Score: 4 (100%)
Jam3s is on a distinguished road

Serato? pffft.

Download Traktor Scratch Pro free off PirateBay and hook it up to your laptop. Takes a while for it to hook up to the CDJ's and connect it to the laptop to recognise the midi transitions, but its well worth it once its done!

Don't carry around a bag of CD's... things have moved on from that, get all your tunes onto a External Harddrive and run it through Traktor.

If you use VDJ I will break your legs, that is the sh*test software I have ever used. 5 year olds could DJ with that crap.
Jam3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:28   #6
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Car(s): A4 SE/A6 Le Mans
Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

You just need 2 timecode CDs and serato..

Quote:
Download Traktor Scratch Pro free off PirateBay and hook it up to your laptop. Takes a while for it to hook up to the CDJ's and connect it to the laptop to recognise the midi transitions,
CDJs 1000 mk2 don't have native control and don't output midi signals
Manu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 11:33   #7
craig180p
Yorkshire
Track / Motorsport PrepContent ContributorNorth East Region MemberYorkshire Region Member

craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!craig180 is absolutely fabulous!

Please translate into old school language Manu

As above the mk2s don't have midi control
Quote:
Old 18th May 2011, 13:02   #8
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Manu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of lightManu is a glorious beacon of light

CDJ 400s or more recent (350s 900s and 2000s) have native serato control and pioneer recordbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo180 View Post
Please translate into old school language Manu
Means they don't do jack shit apart from playing CDs

To be honest, the cost of adding serato + laptop + soundcard + timecodes doesn't outweight the price of blank audio CDs. One 250+ CD wallet isn't that hard to move around either(compared to 2 CD players + laptop + hard drive + extra cables etc).

And 3rd, you just add the possibility of having a computer crash. I have seen a few mates calling the gig off after their laptop would crash and burn.

Last edited by Manu; 18th May 2011 at 13:04.
Old 18th May 2011, 13:46   #9
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manu View Post
And 3rd, you just add the possibility of having a computer crash. I have seen a few mates calling the gig off after their laptop would crash and burn.
I've seen a few very high profile acts have problems with the laptop going down from one thing or another. Craig if you are going into venues where you will have lots of pissheads, they will inevitably come into the booth with a drink, 1 stumble and all over a mac you can be up shit creek.

I'd try to keep the electronic gear to a minimum tbh on that sense.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:03   #10
craig180p
Yorkshire

So we're saying use my existing set up but have a laptop and blank CDs with me?
Quote:
Old 18th May 2011, 14:18   #11
Ryanp
Super Moderator
Track / Motorsport Prep

Car(s): Vtr, 172, throttle bodied track slut
iTrader Score: 11 (100%)
Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!Ryan is absolutely fabulous!

I'd just go CDjs and if you don't have the song tell people to get fucked myself lol. Less chance of damage/loss of equipment.
Old 18th May 2011, 14:48   #12
craig180p
Yorkshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'd just go CDjs and if you don't have the song tell people to get fucked myself lol. Less chance of damage/loss of equipment.
That's one way of doing things!

Tbh the CDJs were always going to be the primary source as I enjoy using them! The laptop was mainly a backup
Quote:
Old 19th May 2011, 23:52   #13
imydaking
Frequent Poster
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 5 Door! Saxo 1.1
imydaking is on a distinguished road

hi mate

well my set up has pioneer cdj 200s a mixer but i also have a small shuttle xpc which is only for djing and it has traktor on it and i control that using a Vestax vci100

tbh traktor is the way forward all the clubs and stuff now have it amongst many mobile djs as seen on youtube.

using the vci 100 i can control the pitch manually also means no fiddly timecodes as they can be an issue if your not familiare with setting it all up and using a multi out soundcard you can cue etcc in the headphones.

what mixer do you have? if it has 3 or better yet 4 channels you could just link it all together with the cdjs

The main advantage to using a pc/laptop is simple you dont have to carry around loads of cds and if by chance your cds get stolen or you loose them thats the end... and you'll have to burn them all over again whereas if your using your laptop you can just make a backup and restore it. You can also be alot more creative using samples/loops

its up to you really... i dont know what kind of dj you are so i cant give specific advice (club/mobile) but feel free to message me i know a thing or two about this stuff

Last edited by imydaking; 19th May 2011 at 23:54.
imydaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 04:28   #14
Manu
Saxperience Addict

Quote:
The main advantage to using a pc/laptop is simple you dont have to carry around loads of cds and if by chance your cds get stolen or you loose them thats the end... and you'll have to burn them all over again whereas if your using your laptop you can just make a backup and restore it. You can also be alot more creative using samples/loops
your statement is somehow flawed mate, let me explain.

A 250 CD wallet is about the same size and weight as a laptop. I have never lost a CD or had one stolen. Never had one stolen from me either.

Losing it all in one go might be a pain in the ass since it is indeed a few hours worth of burning blanks but defo not the end of the world, there is that thing called backups.

CDJs can also play samples and do loops. I have heard that "creative" argument many times before.

Quote:
using the vci 100 i can control the pitch manually also means no fiddly timecodes as they can be an issue if your not familiare with setting it all up and using a multi out soundcard you can cue etcc in the headphones.
timecode CDs are not fiddly. You put them in the CDJ and press play. Pitch control is also provided by the CDJ, setting it all up is a matter of minutes(it's only 4 cables). Not exactly rocket science. The mixer is there to cue in the headphones.

If you put things in another angle: I can't imagine mixing on a VCI, jog wheel too small etc. It would be impossible for me to play(read scratch+ fader/CF techniques) on it without having the thing flying all over the place.

Quote:
tbh traktor is the way forward all the clubs and stuff now have it amongst many mobile djs as seen on youtube.
mobile DJs on youtube are not clubs. If you go in real clubs, the standard is pioneer CDJs and technics 1200s. Sometime they'll have some denon CD players, but the majority is pioneer. Reason is they're built like tanks and are industry standard. I know of a few people using traktor as a backup. Means the CDJ+mixer setup is the main setup and there's a laptop on the side.

The main reason why traktor is not the main bit of kit in a club setup is that CDJs don't crash. Although that is not entirely true, a mate of mine (works for Hedkandi) recently crashed a CDJ 2000 once.

Last edited by Manu; 20th May 2011 at 04:34.