Mobile Devices: Lite Theme Citroën: Citroën Trader | Saxo Trader | C2 Trader Peugeot: Peugeot Trader | 106 Trader Enthusiast: Saxperience

Go Back   Saxperience - Citroen Saxo Forum > Other... > Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music

Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music Please use this forum to discuss Gaming, IT, Multimedia & Music.

Old 8th February 2013, 11:16   #1
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

Car(s): 520bhp Honda Jazz
iTrader Score: 6 (100%)
smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!
Default Sky box help

Not sure there will be anyone on here who knows, but its worth a shot..

In my house, we have a second sky box, but its in my sisters old room, i used to get it in my room through one of them sky bug things.. Now, this packed in, so i decided to move the sky box to my room..

I have some cable which says its suitable for satellite, and i have used an male and female connection to plug the cable in to extend it from my sisters room to my room... I have used a Scart to plug the box into my tv, now its just saying no satellite signal is been received..

I bought a new sky bug but it just gets interference, so that must be iffy.. Any idea why the signal isn't been received, are the normal arial connectors no good for satellite signals or something?

Any help appreciated

Life's a bitch, then you die.
smiith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 11:29   #2
Brettles1986
Saxperience Post Whore
South Wales Region Member

Car(s): Mondeo ST TDCI Saxo VTS
Brettles1986 is on a distinguished road

I don't believe you can use normal coaxial (aerial) cable for Sky. You need to buy the specific cable for it, can be had cheap at places like Argos tbh.
Brettles1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 11:34   #3
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!smiith is absolutely fabulous!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettles1986 View Post
I don't believe you can use normal coaxial (aerial) cable for Sky. You need to buy the specific cable for it, can be had cheap at places like Argos tbh.
The cable i have, it says on the reel its suitable for sky and stuff, an electrician mate of mine gave me it, im just wondering if the normal aerial connectors are no good..

This is the kind i have

Think this is the kind i may need..

Old 8th February 2013, 12:01   #4
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

yes the sky feed from the dish enter the box go via the screw in connectors.

The normal RF connectors you are using now are used as you say to feed the normal coaxial cable in the house from your normal areial so that you can use the Sky Eye (bug as you call) to feedsky and control it in other rooms.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 12:02   #5
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiith View Post
The cable i have, it says on the reel its suitable for sky and stuff, an electrician mate of mine gave me it, im just wondering if the normal aerial connectors are no good..

This is the kind i have

Think this is the kind i may need..

Just take a gander at your box that is in working order. If you look, as you rightly say, it uses connections the same as shown in the bottom picture you uploaded. If i'm right in saying your trying to connect a box up using standard Coaxial cable and connector.... Whilst this (IIRC) works for a sky eye ( which is what i think you meant by BUG ) I'm not sure if the same method works to link a second box.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 12:19   #6
Carlvtr88
Saxperience Post Whore

Car(s): 1.1 106 XN Time, MK2 VTR 01. Ford Focus ST3 CP320
Carlvtr88 is on a distinguished road

Ignore that ^^^

EDIT : Sorry don't have much time to read post in detail but i'll cover what i can.

Are you trying to slave the second room up, as in have it where the channels change in both rooms at the same time ?

If so, then your sky eye / Bug is probably the best bet or a Scart/AV Sender receiver. I can't see any reason why you cant get that working mate; apart from possible interference through from a power source perhaps, if you have a cheap coaxial line.

If your trying to install a second box I'm pretty sure you need a second LNB (IIRC) that's why signal isn't being received. Because the first box will be using it.

When sky install a box for multi-room setup, I believe they take a second feed from the dish. Sorta like a twin tuner in a HD freeview receiver. This enables you to use 2 signals at once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappert View Post
bet your bird likes it tho
Carlvtr88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 12:57   #7
Scottp
Administrator
Content ContributorScotland Region Member

Car(s): Chelski Traktor
Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!Scott is absolutely fabulous!

i read it as this:

Sky box originally in sisters room, he controlled via Sky Eye in his room.
Sky Eye died.
Wants to move the box to his room.

So what you will need to do move the box to your room. The sky box will either have had a single or double feed (double if Sky+) that went into the box via the screw in connector. You either need to extend this feed via the screw on and adaptor that you have posted in the second picture or you can feed the cable back into the loft (presuming it comes from there) then through the loft back into your room. This will then need screwed back into the sky box. Thats your source.

OR you leave the sky box where it is in your sisters room and connect it back up as was an then replace your Sky Eye with the new one, that will connect via the RF connectors that you have posted in the first picture. You need to ensure that you are connecting aerial out that the Sky Eye will be fed on to the RF 2 out on the back of the sky box and to ensure that you have RF2 power supply set to ON in the "secret" engineers bit.

If you are adding a second box as Carlvtr88 suggests above then it depends on the LNB you have fitted (the box at the end of the satellite dish) if its old it will only be a dual LNB with two feeds coming off it. You can get Quad LNB's or even 8 feed LNBs these days. Entirely depends on what boxes you have in the house and what LNB was fitted in the first place.

If you feel something untoward is being posted hit the button at the side of the post.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2013, 14:19   #8
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

just had a quick scan over the replies...

What i mean is.. The sky box was controlled from my room with the eye, so there was a cable to my sisters room, then one from there, to my room..

The eye died, i got another and it keeps getting interference a a poor picture.. So i moved the box to my room, now instead of running one solid wire from the down stairs sky box, to the up stairs one, i joined the wires in my sisters room.. I used the connectors in the 1st picture, to join them together, and now the sky box says no satellite signal, but if i put it back in my sisters, it works...

the box is still attached to the cable with the screw in connector, but i'm thinking i need to join the wires using the things shown in the 2nd picture, rather than the 1st..

Old 10th February 2013, 18:36   #9
stevie_m
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Car(s): Mk2 VTR Two Tone, Mazda 3 Sport
iTrader Score: 8 (100%)
stevie_m is on a distinguished road

I'd say so mate, that's the ones I used in my old house when we were moving rooms around.

Iirc you have to have about 5mm of the cable coming out of the female adaptor.
stevie_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 21:51   #10
ad_77
Frequent Poster

Car(s): Mx5, Rx8
iTrader Score: 1 (100%)
ad_77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiith View Post
just had a quick scan over the replies...

What i mean is.. The sky box was controlled from my room with the eye, so there was a cable to my sisters room, then one from there, to my room..

The eye died, i got another and it keeps getting interference a a poor picture.. So i moved the box to my room, now instead of running one solid wire from the down stairs sky box, to the up stairs one, i joined the wires in my sisters room.. I used the connectors in the 1st picture, to join them together, and now the sky box says no satellite signal, but if i put it back in my sisters, it works...

the box is still attached to the cable with the screw in connector, but i'm thinking i need to join the wires using the things shown in the 2nd picture, rather than the 1st..
To save fucking about swap rooms .......
ad_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2013, 22:12   #11
smiith
Saxperience Hardcore!
Yorkshire Region Member

It didn't work, must need different cable, i will order some

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad_77 View Post
To save fucking about swap rooms .......
My room gets the sun all day, the other room has a boiler in, and no sun.. I'd rather piss about with a sky box for a few days..

Old 13th February 2013, 01:54   #12
stevie_m
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Be careful with the wire as the copper cable inside is easily broken... I know this from first hand experience.
Old 23rd February 2013, 16:25   #13
stevie_m
Saxperience Forum Bum
Scotland Region Member

Sorted ?